Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Since the first game was SHIT, asking someone to play 10 hours before it gets good is asking a lot.

The first 5 min are kind of shit, but I’ve had fun with the 10 h after that.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The different factions have little involvement/interest in the main plot, dispite it's obvious importance and urgency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_withdrawal_from_the_Paris_Agreement

:troll:

I know you are joking but it is a bit different from the situation where a Burj Kalifa sized statue literally housing one of the gods marches marches through your civilization
draining the souls from entire cities

I feel that it would have been much better if the plot primarily concerned the power struggle in the deadfire OR the gods. Doing both and playing up their respective importance doesn't feel coherent.

They should have started over with a new character having to navigate the power struggles of the major factions rather than continuing with the uninteresting watcher shit. They wanted to make an faction based exploration/adventure game and forced in the god angle for no good reason imo. Gods could have been involved (and were in some quests pretty well) without the central plot revolving around them.

I don't really have a super coherent opinion on this yet though, beyond that i the fact that I don't really feel that it works very well.

There actually is a pretty good analogy to the current real world climate situation but it is not the main plot of this game but rather the resulting situation of the conclusion. I could see the next game working much better with a set of bickering factions failing to coordinate against a looming existential threat, but one that isnt so urgent that coordination would be obvious. In fact the plot feels more like a set up for another game than a story of its own considering how small the player's impact of things are.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

when the fanservice reaches new heights

"new"

instead of "dying" or getting "maimed" you could label it a strategic retreat into the netherworld or a transition into a new body sensation. Ragequitting/ flameposting reduced by 90% u no

Molina

Savant
Non-white...no, especially in a setting like this.

Females in position of power...well I think it’s easy to be unbelievable and immersion breaking if overdone. Did you see the last 1 or 2 seasons of Game of Thrones? It bothered me there, yes.

Inweasel I was specifically asking about everything apart from the companions. I think it’s a shame about them, but I will try to ignore the romance crap like in ever other RPG that had it...

The natives in the area seem to be somewhat matriarchal. There are women in a lot of positions of power in other places as well. I think it's less unbelievable in a setting where physical capability is not as important.
You have lot of matrilineal or matrilocal societies in pacific/south asia.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Retconning is the only way they could make this work. And it comes with a big maybe. But I think to make it right they would need to outright declare earlier lore mentions null and void (and fucking up customers who bought the Guidebook and/or Cluebook).
To be honest I don't understand why they didn't created map artwork in first place, it would be much easier for players to follow lore and there would be opportunity for devs to create some sense of World structure, not just "somewhere on Deadfire".
No. I think the FIRST GAME was SHIT. Which I KNOW since I played it.

I am in no hurry to play this one. So I will wait for some patches first, which is what most of the non-shill posts have suggested. I don't have a lot of faith in patches but I am willing to give this game a fair chance. But I don't have much generosity towards either Obsidian or Sawyer.
Ahh, sorry, seems I miss understood you. I thought you was talking about first game.

Except we aren't IGN, there is not enough time in the world to play/watch/read everything to verify which opinion is correct and whether you like it. With experience, you can filter which opinions have merit and which don't without having consumed the media in question.
Except all people sometimes have urge to troll each other, sometimes it's worth to waste time on verifying opinion.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Was going through multiple dungeons, then noticed a strange symbol near myself when resting. Thought was a wound.

It was a sigil from vampire dungeon, I was playing for a few hours with -10 Might on everyone.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Itemization is good

wat

DOS2 has level-scaled/locked loot which totally ruins itemisation. Your kewl unique item stays relevant for like 10 minutes. It’s a soul-crushing grind.
Morality game is retard thats why i didnt respond to his comment.This is not discreditation its mere empirical fact just look his apologetic comment(s) about DOS2

Tygrende

Arbiter
Is it just me or do the new sound effects suck? Take guns for example. In the first PoE they sounded nice, in Deadfire they sound like a muffled fart. Is there any easy way to replace them?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Someone was praising the loot itemization. Nope. It's not great. You will probably loot a lot of unique/legendary one-handed weapons but it's a completely different story for the two-handed weapons. I was stuck with a Superb Greatsword :/
And at some point I stopped checking the loot cause most items were simply too similar and it was a wasted of time checking for +5% bonuses or for some useless spell.
Ahah what ?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Apparently this thread is not the only place where people lose their heads.

s7EEfwgqSZtp-JPcSfh6irGP51A8-dn1cv6Eav-Mo3Q.jpg

And yes, you can give that head to quest giver and end the quest.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really would like to see some weird companions. I think they are all to bland now. Maybe a Xaurip, Vithrak, Ogre, Pŵgra...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
tbh i dont even how much of a clusterfuck this combat is

all dudes move at least x2 faster than they should

combat starts, suddenly 98347693769349 effects followed by 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' over every combatant's head

all of this with various colourful explosions going off everywhere as well

meanwhile i'm stuck in the middle of this disco and wondering wtf is even going on

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Bored, about to quit at lvl 9. Too much time spent on loading screens and sailing over empty water and too much ez combat.

Game has strong points but I'm gonna wait for patches/DLC to improve the minute to minute gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Thonius

Arcane
Nu-Steamspy now putting Deadfire in the 100k-200k range: http://steamspy.com/app/560130

Wait, isn't that...

nQ95Hoh.png

9n4RRBL.png

oh no
Yeah after what now 2 years?
Also Imagine being fat cuck Feargus that kept telling that Turn based shit does not sell... then making game (that apparently does not sell as well as game you ripped features off) with checklists stolen from turn based top selling hit game (although shitty) DOS2.
"Ree I did all the right moves! Reee
PS
I like POE2 very much...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly don't like ship combat. It hasn't even managed to get repetitive yet, I just don't like it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The sales confirm what I was thinking was going to happen - people tried PoE1, found out it isn't as great as it could've been/the genre isn't for them/lol, isometric/it's too hard or too easy/story is nonsensical mish-mash/whatever and the novelty wore off. Maybe we can't have nice things after all, but it's hard to judge because we need a really good entry in this genre in the mainstream, which I don't think we've had. Age of Decadence and UnderRail are too niche and not enough people have even heard of them. It's frustrating to think about, tbh, Obsidian are trying to cater to an audience that simply doesn't exist and grognards, who are the actual audience, get to eat shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom