Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this game as good as Tyranny ? I have been planning to try it. But I have read it is almost too long.
If you side with a faction the critical path can be pretty short.

Leinhart

Literate
Is this game as good as Tyranny ? I have been planning to try it. But I have read it is almost too long.
It's better. It's very long if you want to do all the side quests + DLC. It's extremely short if you focus only on the main quest. Best approach is to leave a lot of the side quests untouched. You can hit the level cap without doing all that stuff anyway.
Thanks for the replies peeps. Seems like I have a new game to try then.

Falksi

Arcane
Jesus the PS4 port of this game is dire. I saw it for £8 so picked it up for a laugh, and I've never encountered so many frequent long load times before. It's proper wank.

ferratilis

Magister
You had to learn the lesson, the hard way. Never buy a crpg on console, ever. Even if the performance is good, the controls will be ass. But for some reason, publishers insist on releasing them on console. I can't imagine that the sales are high enough to warrant the porting effort.

Elthosian

Arcane
Jesus the PS4 port of this game is dire. I saw it for £8 so picked it up for a laugh, and I've never encountered so many frequent long load times before. It's proper wank.

SSD upgrade is almost mandatory for the PS4, although not that big of an upgrade as the best you can do is SATA SSDs.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

SSD upgrade is almost mandatory for the PS4, although not that big of an upgrade as the best you can do is SATA SSDs.
Not that big of an upgrade? On a PC at least, a SATA SSD is on another level in reaction speed when compared with any HDD.

Elthosian

Arcane

Not that big of an upgrade? On a PC at least, a SATA SSD is on another level in reaction speed when compared with any HDD.
I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought the PS5 and its "well-integrated" M.2 had much faster load times, but that seems to have been Sony propaganda; I checked some benchmarks and any half-decent SATA SSD will get pretty close to the PS5:M

Falksi

Arcane
You had to learn the lesson, the hard way. Never buy a crpg on console, ever. Even if the performance is good, the controls will be ass. But for some reason, publishers insist on releasing them on console. I can't imagine that the sales are high enough to warrant the porting effort.
Oh for sure. I kinda expected a poorer port, but for the silly cheap price I thought I'd grab it for the laugh. I was just genuinely shocked at how bad it was.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought the PS5 and its "well-integrated" M.2 had much faster load times, but that seems to have been Sony propaganda; I checked some benchmarks and any half-decent SATA SSD will get pretty close to the PS5:M
M.2 is a scam compared to SATA SSD performance, benchmarks of actual game performance leave no doubt.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's pretty cool. It's interesting how the vast majority of runs include the new subclasses added in whatever patch it was. The only exceptions are Helwalker Monk/Priest of Skaen and Ascendant Cipher/Priest of Skaen. I thought the new subclasses are more powerful than the others when I first read their abilities and seeing this kinda confirms my suspicions. It seems like they (and Priest of Skaen) have the potential to circumvent some mechanics. I'm guessing Priest of Skaen is used because of Withdraw + invisibility?

Sannom

Augur
I know that Withdraw is one of the things that makes the Priest of Skaen very interesting for that challenge, yes. Basically it allows the player to keep Vela out of harm's way.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist

The problem is in Pillars you have 2D background image with 3D characters. Still its very suspicious and unnerving this loads longer than some 3D game.
I want new Unity engine fixes this issue once and for all for Pillars 3.

Elthosian

Arcane

The problem is in Pillars you have 2D background image with 3D characters. Still its very suspicious and unnerving this loads longer than some 3D game.
I want new Unity engine fixes this issue once and for all for Pillars 3.

It'd be damning on Microsoft if they keep using fucking Unity after being bought by such a huge corporation. Fucking shitty engine has ruined enough experiences for me as it is.

Vyvian

Educated
Does anyone have experience with the "Community Patch" mod on Nexus? Wondering if it actually makes the game better or if it's just broken crap.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone have experience with the "Community Patch" mod on Nexus? Wondering if it actually makes the game better or if it's just broken crap.
Yes, its very good IMO.
Some fixes, some mild balance corrections - making some useless abilities mildly useful.

ferratilis

Magister
Community patch, Enhanced UI, and the Pantry, I'd never start a new playthrough without these mods. Just get them.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Does anyone had a completionist run with Deadly Deadfire and can confirm the 25% XP nerf is enough not to hit a cap before endgame?

I'm giving it another try and am almost lvl 10 before completing Poko Kohara which sucks, but I assume the pace will eventually slow down due to expotential rise in xp req for next lvls, amirite?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with slapping a 25% xp nerf across the board is that the tutorial island is freakishly brutal, especially if only using story companions. I've never managed to do Gorecci street with only the story companions f.e. After that, it doesn't matter all that much either way because it isn't the encounters the issue, it's the amount of tools the party has at their disposal. The same happened in PoE1. The best thing to do would be to stagger the xp nerf, start off at 25% when leaving the tutorial island and then progressively get bigger, but no such mod exists afaik. Even with that in mind, there's no way to fix post-lvl 10 levels of power, you have everything possible to deal with anything the game can throw at you. PoE's system breaks down at that point.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, had in mind that tutorial would be a chore so I activated mod after finishing it.

It's not specifically the difficulty that I'm seeking, DD' mod changes make a good enough challenge, it's more to avoid the cap before the very end of the game just to have a constant sense of progression.

XP nerf can be manipulated in Global.gamedatabundle file - was wondering if anyone had found a sweet spot (30%? 50%?)

White Grey

Novice
Does anyone had a completionist run with Deadly Deadfire and can confirm the 25% XP nerf is enough not to hit a cap before endgame?

I'm giving it another try and am almost lvl 10 before completing Poko Kohara which sucks, but I assume the pace will eventually slow down due to expotential rise in xp req for next lvls, amirite?
Deadly Deadfire's experience reduction is not actually 25%. The experience multiplier is reduced from 1.35 to 1.10, which is more like a 15% reduction. The point at which endgame begins is somewhat subjective, but you will hit 20 before completing main game content without touching DLC content. I did such a run in August and was mostly satisfied.

Anyway, I saw these posts and decided to plug my recent mods. The first is Comprehensive Leveling Improvement and EXP Reduction, which is an actual 25% reduction on a curve to keep early progression fast, plus some other stuff you will see by reading the mod page. You can delete the experience file of deadly deadfire and use mine if you want the most comprehensiviest solution alongside the deadly deadfire changes. Do not use both experience solutions. I also made Sigil of Balance, which aims to address player power scaling independently of EXP. They are best used together. Next is an older mod that addresses equipment power progression, Quality Level Scaling for all Equipment, which you didn't ask for at all. I'm doing some Barbarian stuff at the moment because I want to do an extremely stupid Meadrager barb/junkie monk pirate run before dropping the game for another few years, but after that I'll also look at doing an economy mod because that shit gets out of control fast. If anyone notices any problems, or has ideas to improve the mods or the game, let me know.

what's a good rogue build? i'm reading multiclass is better. what would be an optimal build? sneaking and crits are important

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom