Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Being able to defeat him is conquering a challenge, that is enough of a point.

Yes, but it's a challenge that is made obvious from the beginning to be impossible. It would only be a problem if Eothas was just a normal dude.

Not being able to destroy the Wall of the Faithless in MotB is profound in the context of the setting and narrative, not being able to defeat Eothas not so much.

Oh please, give me a break. It wasn't profound at all. Frustrating, because you weren't even given an option to fight Kelemvor.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
There was also foreshadowing that that god taking a worldly form was mortal. They could have conceived of some way you could have thwarted him but they'd rather be pretentious in their kid's game.

He didn't take a kith's body this time tho, with flesh and blood. Only way of defeating him could have been with reaching adra pillars before him and destroying them so he'd run out of juice.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
This is a classic example of gamers saying what they want versus what they actually want.

I've heard a million times before that people are sick of being the chosen one and saving the world, and just want to be treated like a normal guy. When a game actually does that, they get upset.

Parabalus

Arcane
Not being able to destroy the Wall of the Faithless in MotB is profound in the context of the setting and narrative, not being able to defeat Eothas not so much.

Oh please, give me a break. It wasn't profound at all. Frustrating, because you weren't even given an option to fight Kelemvor.

Yeah, this looks like a cop out from you Lacrymas tbh.

Not being able to at least try to destroy the Wall (and get mogged by Kelemvor), or doing it after devouring Akachi, since the ending implies it took several gods to (maybe) take you down, was pretty pathetic honestly.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
This is a classic example of gamers saying what they want versus what they actually want.

I've heard a million times before that people are sick of being the chosen one and saving the world, and just want to be treated like a normal guy. When a game actually does that, they get upset.
When they say that it's meant they want the scope toned down, in this case it was not. You are instead sent on a wild-goose chase only to find you can't actually achieve the directive the game assigns you because that's oh so deep. VTMB is a more toned down scope.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Not being able to at least try to destroy the Wall (and get mogged by Kelemvor), or doing it after devouring Akachi, since the ending implies it took several gods to (maybe) take you down, was pretty pathetic honestly.
You did try to destroy it, the whole point of the siege is exactly that. Kelemvor can kill you with a mere thought, and you know this, there is no reason to fight him. You kill several gods after devouring Akachi, so I don't see the problem there.

Parabalus

Arcane

You did try to destroy it, the whole point of the siege is exactly that. Kelemvor can kill you with a mere thought, and you know this, there is no reason to fight him. You kill several gods after devouring Akachi, so I don't see the problem there.

Why wouldn't you try to tear down the wall then, after devouring Akachi?

Being exploded by Kelemvor would have also been a fine ending tbh.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can't. That's the point. They should've added a scene where you are killed by Kelemvor, but eh, the result is obvious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The game is almost unplayable with the crashes. The output log says either "d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture" or "d3d11: failed to create buffer". I can't force it to use d9 from anywhere. I created a thread in the Obs technical support forum. The graphics are set to low to test it whether it's an option that does this, but it still crashes.

Quillon

Arcane
The game is almost unplayable with the crashes. The output log says either "d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture" or "d3d11: failed to create buffer". I can't force it to use d9 from anywhere. I created a thread in the Obs technical support forum. The graphics are set to low to test it whether it's an option that does this, but it still crashes.

Can't stop playing it can ya? Just wait for your vga and try not to think about the great Joshua Sawyer's latest masterpiece.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I already have my new graphics card. It's the same one as before, so it isn't the problem.

Quillon

Arcane
Problems like that are usually vga/driver related so work on that area rather than the game's dev to solve it somehow. If you haven't already, do a clean amd driver reinstall(maybe with DDU), driver booster for any other outdated drivers and windows reinstall as a last resort :P

Lacrymas

Arcane
I have the latest drivers on a clean uninstall, and I have the latest version of directx.

Jinn

Arcane
Maybe the perfect excuse to stop playing a game you seem to greatly dislike?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ashen Maw actually only exists to make the player realize that you cannot do anything to stop the "bad thing" this time. In POE you simply fight an agent of a god in POE 2 you go aginst a god directly. The biggest problem here is not the idea of gods being immortal all powerful beings that look down on everyone. The problem is the muddy writing, the gods simply do not seem so powerful during the talks you have with them. This problem comes from the fact that despite the games verbosity there is no point where your watcher has to admit his defeat. So the player may not realize until the very end that there will be no epic boss battle against a god.

The idea behind the story is pretty unique and interesting but the execution remains lackluster

No the idea behind the story is a failure and story proves it itself - by introducing "stole your soul" crutch. Because if not for that crutch, since we know giant statue can't be defeated, player would not have any reason to go to Eothas since even taking revenge is not possible.

The key problem is that main plot is about chasing a thing you can't stop. But no sane player would chase something he has absolutely no power over, which is why game tries to make you believe like you have something to say or some choice. But you really don't.

Any sane person, when faced by a force of nature he has no power over, would focus on things around that force, and that could have been a reasonable idea for a plot. But game makes it as obvious as possible that you must "confront" Eothas for some reason, and the plot is about exactly that - you can sail to 2 places, buy better sails and anchor and end game. Since that is what you, as a player, do to progress the plot, that is main plot, and that's what game is about. But joke on you - being Watcher all the time meant exactly that; Watchin. Genius.

Before I thought it might be writers inability to handle the scope of things and they simply crumbled under some pressure to write shit about gigantic immortal statue, but no: the pointless chase, the lack of any counter point to main point of the game (gods r dumb - Josh said himself they were turned into retards just to carry the new plot, deal with it), the lack of player agency, it was all designed on purpose, you see, and works just as planned.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
After extensive googling it turns out that, surprise, surprise, Unity is a piece of shit and doesn't limit resource usage on some computer configurations/specs, causing the video card and/or processor to crash when they overload. It's luckily fixed by turning on V-Sync, at least I didn't have a problem now when I ran some tests. I hope it's indeed fixed.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
In MotB, I was fine with not being able to destroy the Wall of the Faithless. I was not fine with the fact that you can't decide to keep trying in the future, just like Kaelyn does. Setting yourself a task that can never be completed would have been an excellent conclusion for an epic-level hero. Instead (unless you chose to stay in the realm of the dead or became an abomination), the epilogue sends you back to fucking Neverwinter, a boring place nobody wanted to see again.

At the end of Deadfire, you get to accomplish something important by allying with one of the factions and helping them gain control of Ukaizo, a place full of invaluable knowledge. The story should have focused on that and developped it. At that point, interactions with Eothas are largely pointless. You can't stop him or destroy him, you already got back the part of your soul that he stole (not that its absence had any consequence), and it's in fact quite possible that you want him to succeed. Sure, Eothas rids you of the magical thingy that Berath puts in you to ensure that you won't betray her, but does that thing ever do anything ? I don't think it's even mentioned after the introduction.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
problem is kelemvor and the wall of the faithless were all interesting concepts that sparked the imagination...

Parabalus

Arcane
problem is kelemvor and the wall of the faithless were all interesting concepts that sparked the imagination...

I thought the cycle being controlled by a machine was pretty good as a concept, along with the gods being rabid teenagers made from mortals.

They just did very little with it in both games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A bit of a spoiler for Sayuka -

I liked how the druids attacked Sayuka totally unexpectedly after I left the workshop, finally something surprising happened.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About the Wall in MotB; Obsidian weren’t allowed to do whatever they wanted with it. I remember the publisher/IP holder being restrictive about that part of the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Speaking of MotB, I'm kinda disappointed in the Skaen Priest, the removal of Prey on the Weak really snuffed out the flavor, along with stilettos being very weak. While I appreciate getting some Rogue abilities, they compete with other spells, it's much better to use my spell slot for Devotions for the Faithful, rather than Finishing Blow. I have to multi-class with Rogue to get the same playstyle as in PoE1, which is a totally missed opportunity, since every deity could've been like a mini-class and every Priest multi-class could've been triple-class-like. F.e. Wael is Wizard-like, Berath and Magran are different aspects of Druid-like, etc. Not to mention that multi-classing with Rogue gets me duplicate abilities. I feel like Priests in general are kinda worse overall and not only mechanically, but in flavor also. Maculo, what do you think about the Eothas Priest? Does it stack up to the PoE1 one?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
controlled by a machine you say...

*thinks about the amount of hours he spends on the computer*

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom