Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Blade Zero - a new "action RPG" coming to PC/PS5

ADL

Prophet

Check out the world premiere of Phantom Blade Zero, a new Action RPG featuring deep and dark art style, fast paced combat, and a fictitious world blending Chinese martial arts and steampunk! Be the Dark Raider exiled by "the Order", embark on the path of vengeance, and uncover the darkest secrets of Wulin!

notpl

Arbiter
Ah, good, another fake chinese UE5 action game to throw on the pile next to CODE: JIN YONG, Black Myth Wukong, Faith of Danschant: Hereafter, and Where Winds Meet

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's very noticably Chinese/ Wuxia influenced, with the architecture, that face changing boss, the style of weapons and the sword fighting style (which is very different from Japanese iaijutsu/ kenjutsu). That said, it doesn't look quite like a full PS5 next gen game, unlike a lot of the other games that were showcased yesterday.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Very Nioh-y. Tenuously excited, despite the English voiceovers absolutely destroying the trailer.

cruel

Cipher
This looks great actually, will keep a watch. I can forbid a lot of things if a game nails dark fantasy setting properly.

Suicidal

Arcane
Looks cool but let's be honest, there's like a 90% chance that it's either: a) vaporware, b) will come out but be much more scuffed than in the trailer

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm so tired of this camera. Tired of not knowing what I back into and having to adjust much more because it's so close to the character.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The action looks quite agressive, nice
Shame for the nuGoW camera, but I'll reserve further judgment when it releases
Obviously no jump button again. Really agile character doesn't know how to jump. Could have had more variety with wide cam and platform mechanics. Fighting will get tiresome, again.

Ezekiel

Arcane
You're jumping to conclusions
It's best to wait until we know more about gameplay as we still know little about its workings
I'm not. KNEW what new God of War was gonna be from that first gameplay-story trailer. Was obvious that jumping would be removed due to cam and primary actions would be moved to shoulder buttons and triggers due to cam. Lock-on is cool, but locking cam as well is ass because it limits other mechanics. So many delusional Souls fans here thinking the character unable to look back while circling around enemy is fine. Tired of that, and here you have even less visibility. Can't tell if the cam whips to the left at 1:32 because of where enemy is or because the devs manually moved it at the end of the flurry, but cam will be hectic/unwieldy again as it follows enemies.

Spike

Educated
You're jumping to conclusions
It's best to wait until we know more about gameplay as we still know little about its workings
I'm not. KNEW what new God of War was gonna be from that first gameplay-story trailer. Was obvious that jumping would be removed due to cam and primary actions would be moved to shoulder buttons and triggers due to cam. Lock-on is cool, but locking cam as well is ass because it limits other mechanics. So many delusional Souls fans here thinking the character unable to look back while circling around enemy is fine. Tired of that, and here you have even less visibility. Can't tell if the cam whips to the left at 1:32 because of where enemy is or because the devs manually moved it at the end of the flurry, but cam will be hectic/unwieldy again as it follows enemies.
mod it

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You kinda are
In the 1st trailer they show the protagonist doing acrobatic shenanigans during combat
Overall, we still saw little of gameplay and know even less how it works
but locking cam as well is ass because it limits other mechanics
Sure, but those mechanics might not be needed
So many delusional Souls fans here thinking the character unable to look back while circling around enemy is fine.
If the combat and its challenge is properly designed, then this is fine
Souls in particular puts emphasis on the player being mindful of his surroundings - having a cam that gives a wider view of the arena would remove that particular challenge

Ezekiel

Arcane
You kinda are
In the 1st trailer they show the protagonist doing acrobatic shenanigans during combat
Overall, we still saw little of gameplay and know even less how it works
but locking cam as well is ass because it limits other mechanics
Sure, but those mechanics might not be needed
So many delusional Souls fans here thinking the character unable to look back while circling around enemy is fine.
If the combat and its challenge is properly designed, then this is fine
Souls in particular puts emphasis on the player being mindful of his surroundings - having a cam that gives a wider view of the arena would remove that particular challenge
Supposed to be mindful of surroundings, can't look at surroundings while locked, makes sense, wait, doesn't. Can still make keeping safe position in environment challenging while keeping cam wide and separated from lock-on by building better AI, could have them work together to cut you off, push you to the drop or spikes. "I can see myself backing towards the drop, need to get around these assholes" better than "Oh, I fell because forgot there was a drop there and retard character can't turn neck."

The-Mummy-1999-Stephen-Sommers-Universal-UHD-mkv-snapshot-01-46-12-2024-06-07-20-15-58.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom