Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasy Star series (the jRPGs, not the MMOs)?

deuxhero

Arcane
(let's test the new descriptions...)

Played 4 (had it on Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 which I got cheep for co-op brawlers) to what FAQs say is half way through out of sheer nothing better to do-ness (TM), then got disinterested after the events in Kadary (Alys was actually interesting as a protagonist. Chaz is boring) removed the coolest part of the game that made it unlike other jRPGs.

I found it to be unexceptional, but enjoyable. Dialog was pretty funny (Though Chaz does nothing but serve as a foil and thus can go to hell) and the comic cutscenes are a wonderful idea.

Is the game worth playing after that point? Are the other games worth playing? Do the PS2 remakes of 1 and 2 have translation patches (Or Gaiden for Game Gear for that matter)?

edit: transparant color works kinda as a spoiler tag, added details.

pipka

Savant
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as jRPG, is in fact, adventure game, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, jRPG minus RPG. jRPG is not an RPG unto itself, but rather another paid variation of a fully playable adventure game genre made differently by the Japanese.

Repressed Homosexual
I'm interested in knowing this as well, I kept hearing a lot of good about it.

I played PS2 but that game although it had its moments, had too many repetitive encounters. And man those dungeons were hard and confusing.

There are no fan translation patches for the PS2 re-releases, however there is a fan translation patch for the Phantasy Star release of PS1 (it has a more accurate translation).

Kaol

Educated
I only played 4 but thought it quite good, its just like final fantasy really.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Mods, can you move this to general games please? Or retardo? Thanks.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
It's an RPG because it has animu "heroes" with spiky hair an underage-looking heroines with appeal to pedophiles.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The first game in the series has very similar movement and world mechanics to Ultimas 1 and 2. Your character travels world and town maps in a third person, overhead perspective. It transitions to first person in dungeons. Instead of early Ultima battle mechanics, it uses Wizardry battle mechanics, minus the class system. Instead, each character represents a certain archetype (Odin is a fighter, Noah is a mage and so on). Later games drop the first person dungeon crawling but introduce pictures to illustrate dialogue scenes. There's very little to distinguish Phantasy Star mechanics from early Ultima and Wizardry mechanics.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
There's also dungeon crawling and stats and turn based blob combat. This shit's strictly in the Wizardry/Ultima school. EDIT: actually the question is disingenuous, given the 'what is an RPG' meme floating around on the board.

PSII is pretty rad if you uncap the frame rate (the walking speed and long battle animations make it pretty unplayable otherwise). Grind is necessary unfortunately, but it stays challenging (and becoming a huge meataxe who is able to progress through the dungeons feels satisfying in the way these things should). EDIT2: I'm talking about the Megadrive version obv.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The first game in the series has very similar movement and world mechanics to Ultimas 1 and 2. Your character travels world and town maps in a third person, overhead perspective. It transitions to first person in dungeons.

That doesn't make a game a RPG....

Instead of early Ultima battle mechanics, it uses Wizardry battle mechanics, minus the class system. Instead, each character represents a certain archetype (Odin is a fighter, Noah is a mage and so on).

That doesn't say much. Is it stats and has stat based combat? Is there character progression/building?

Later games drop the first person dungeon crawling but introduce pictures to illustrate dialogue scenes. There's very little to distinguish Phantasy Star mechanics from early Ultima and Wizardry mechanics.

That doesn't make a game a RPG....

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I think you're fishing for a particular answer here. Yes, there is character progression. As characters level up, they get new spells, skills, higher stats. You get money, you buy or find equipment. Characters are functionally different from one another and serve different roles in the group. Combat is turn-based, player skill is subverted; character skills are abstracted by numbers.

Murk

Arcane
In terms of other Genesis games -- Shining Force 1/2 (there is a GBA remake of 1), Hikari Warsong, Langrisser 2 (really, the SNES version is better), and Shining in the Darkness (blob style game, more blobby than Phantasy Star), D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun (which is very similar to Ultima/KotC -- vid link:

) and there's also some Zelda 3 style actiony games like Crusader of Centy, Beyond Oasis, Land Stalker, etc.

PS4 was... ok. The setting is somewhat neat but isn't really expanded upon. The comic book style dialog is a nice touch, and the visuals are relatively good -- it's just not actually anything to brag about. I guess it was the closest the first two Sega systems came to having a "FF" clone. Tho combat in the PS games is way better than FF, IMO.

EDIT: Woops, I misread the original post and thought it asked if there were any other RPGs on Genesis, but OP just meant the other PS games. If I'm not mistake PS3 is the most different of them all and features something like a generational change system in which you play the descendents of your original character.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think he might have just been confused because of how PSO plays and the troll comments. PSO is to the PS series what Fallout 3 was to Fallout, at least in terms of genre change. The original series is pretty much standard definition jrpg. 5 man party,turn based blobber combat, levels, magic, items, dungeons and a needlessly bizzare setting. Anyways, back on topic:

I've played through 4. Tried to play through 2 and 3 but couldn't get into them at all, can't really recommend trying them. 4 was damned impressive at the time, it's eye candy made the FF series look like crap. But the gameplay is good too, there was good variety in the characters and their skills, and the battle system had some unique aspects.

I'd say it's worth playing past where you stopped. I'm not sure what events/thing you're referring to about Kadary or making the game different that made you lose interest, but there are plenty of interesting things that happen later in the game, both in terms of story and gameplay.

deuxhero

Arcane
Confused? I just stated that in the topic title to avoid confusion. Never touched PSO.

I pmed you with the spoilery details because spoiler tags don't work.

Bruticis

Assuming direct control..... This hurts you, doesn't it Jaesun?

spekkio

Arcane
PRO TIP: You might want to try quoting context next time if you want to discuss something.
C'mon, from your post (quoting cboyardee) we can learn what doesn't make a RPG.
But what does?

:smug:

Oh, and PROTIP about the list: start with Fallout 1.

:smug:

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I haven't played much of 4, but two should wear the crown for most forced-grindingest game ever. I got through about 6 dungeons with high-stated enemies and not one of them had a boss or special encounter to change things up (and you will grind forever- I was around level 27 when I quit and things were still beating the crap out of me, plus I never was able to find out what most of the character abilities do, but I guess I could look that up online).

The first Phantasy Star is the one you want. It was a bunch of grindan but you pretty much just have to get enough money for the next best equipment and you are good to continue playing the game. Dungeons are pretty interesting with a few hidden items and people and monsters to talk to (they give you hints, no dialogue options). I really enjoyed this game despite first playing it only a year or two ago.

Renegen

Arcane
I played the Phantasy Star 1 & 2 collection the GBA, they were nice games, cool story and of course the 4th on the Genesis. The games feel quite old school in nature like a slightly more hardcore Dragon Quest (and in a sci-fi setting). They're fun games, but like you I never finished any of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom