Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Location damage could be tweaked imho, but quadriplegic is amusing. I really despised the limitation on XP and gold. I also didn’t care to reorganize gear all the time unless I wanted to make a change. That part of distribution is when I kept paper notes and clicking too fast was annoying. “Gotta do the item distribution again.”

Francois424

Educated
The missing limb issue is quickly resolved at around level 4 or thereabouts. I think all you need is Healing3, which a priest can do pretty early, provided he's not the one who's in need. Still it's fun to occasionaly have a character knocked out from a head injury in battle. Makes the game more exciting to me :)

Distribution wouldn't be half as bad if you didn't have to strip the entire party to assign a new piece of gear. Like assigning shiny new dagger+2 over an old "stick" should put the stick in the pool with the other loot.
Since I'm on the inventory, 6 characters, 9 items each, so a unified backpack holding 54 items would be a nice replacement to constantly running out of room on ONE character because he's fully geared (4 items) and carries 5 potions.
Technically speaking if I was to redo the inventory, gear wouldn't take any room, and you'd have a backpack for 30 extra items (such as mana and HP potions) and as stated above assigning a piece of gear puts the old one in the 30 slot backpack. Ressource management is an active part of Phantasie afterall, especially in 3 but in 2 as well, especially near the end.
I am also for keeping the need to head to town and "Distribute" to use new gear... The game is based around going out then coming to town for levels/items/rest afterall.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I just tried playing both the Atari ST and C64 versions of Phantasie 1 and I can easily say the C64 version is superior for the interface alone.

Francois424

Educated
Having a low level party of quadruple amputees is an acquired taste.

How about a low level party of undead? I remember getting that early on when I had a total party death, so made sure to always reload.
Might be good for farming, if you get lucky enough to get level 2/3 undead minotaurs/trolls with tons of STR/HPs, and a wizard or 2 with Flamebolt 4... It would be insane. Tho the limited HP pool could hurt.
As a bonus, you really dont care if they die again as I believe undeads always get resurrected when facing Pluto. As a bonus, you could farm a lot before rolling your real party (much like Might and Magic 3 with the bank trick), but I don't feel it's that necessary. Once you get a priest to level 5 or get an undead priest with healing4, you're golden as long as you dont die.

As for the sprite merge, pretty sure ORCs got bundled in with the other 2. I'll have to boot the game again to make sure tho, it's been a while since my last playthru.
Man, I'm still annoyed we got a lump of coal for xmas with this Phantasie Bundle... I just don't understand why they made no effort at all... why bother ? Oh well.

Ladonna

Arcane
As for the sprite merge, pretty sure ORCs got bundled in with the other 2.

Disclaimer; I have only played the C64 version. In that, Kobolds and Goblins got a merger, but Kobolds were orange, while Goblins were green. Orcs had their own sprite.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I can easily say the C64 version is superior for the interface alone.
Now you got me curious, can you elaborate in which way ?
I haven't had the chance to play the C64 version, neither in emulation.

Well from what I understand, the C64 version was the first version of the game so it got a little more polish than the others even though the graphics are not the best. But you do get nice little touches, like more details here and there like the main screen.
phantasie_01.png

The biggest advantage, though, is that the interface is easier to navigate than the other versions. Moving through town is easier and there is no mouse to fight with as in the Amiga version.
The biggest downside to the C64 version is the slower load times, however you can mitigate that quite a bit in VICE if you arbitrarily increase up the emulation speed.

IronEye

Literate
Hi and thanks for this thread. P3 was one of my first PC games, and I actually had a Lets Play on youtube but after reflection I disliked some things I'd said in it and removed it lol, maybe I'll redo it at some point. Anyway I have some questions about P3:

Seeing from this thread that the programming differs per system, I'll note I played P3 on Amiga

Firstly I've a question about Slash: it seems it does increasingly more damage each consecutive hit, making it seem quite powerful. Ex: first hit 11 dmg, second hit 19 dmg, third hit 32 dmg, fourth hit 46 dmg. The manual doesn't say anything about increasing dmg, in fact it claims almost the opposite, saying that Slash is the weakest attack on a per-hit basis, and that Thrust is the most powerful single hit, but I found it to be just the opposite. Thrust always performed poorly for me, even when the party was missing a lot (agile enemies?) it still seemed more worth it to gamble on eventually landing higher dmg Slash hits rather than do a slightly lesser gamble on an extremely weak Thrust. Was any of this a bug? And a hypothetical: How SHOULD it be balanced, what would be the most fun? (I actually ask this because I'm developing a game similar to P3)

Second question is about race balance

Code:
            STR     INT     DEX     CON     CHA
Human       18      18      18      18      18 (90)
Dwarf       20      17      17      19      17 (90)
Elf         17      19      19      17      18 (90)
Gnome       19      17      18      19      17 (90)
Halfling    16      18      20      18      17 (89)
Gnoll       20      13      17      21      11 (82)
Goblin      17      14      18      17      11 (77)
Kobold      17      15      19      19      13 (83)
Lizard      19      14      17      18      13 (81)
Minotaur    20      14      16      19      12 (81)
Ogre        21      14      16      19      13 (83)
Orc         19      16      17      18      14 (84)
Pixie       16      18      21      16      17 (88)
Sprite      16      18      22      16      17 (89)
Troll       22      13      15      20      12 (82)

Human/Dwarf/Elf/Gnome all have 90 total max rollable stats, Halfling has 89 which I found strange but maybe it was considered that having 1 less total max stat is the trade-off for access to 20 max dex, sure. The monster races under Random however are more confusing to me. I'm on board with races like Ogre and Troll, we can use the same logic and say that having significantly less max stats is the trade-off for access to 21+ strength, and same logic with Pixie/Sprite for dex. But why ever pick, for example, an Orc? It's just a Dwarf but slightly worse stats, not even one stat is better. Similarly, why ever pick a Goblin, instead of a human which has every stat better?

Some of the races have that fun factor having a unique combat sprite - in my playthrough I had a lizard and minotaur fighter, and a sprite thief - and maybe it can be said that that alone makes them worth taking. But Orc/Goblin/Kobold don't even have a unique graphic as they all share the same one with a common enemy, but even a custom graphic I don't think would make those three races worth ever picking because their stats have nothing good about them anyway, unlike some of the others which might have some strong area at least. So my question is, is there some other incentive to picking any of the Random races other than the above? Are the crappy ones (goblin/kobold/orc for example) purely meant to be self-imposed challenge picks, or was this possibly a development oversight?

Thanks for any insight

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe the amiga version is bugged. I always thought slash was the weakest but the multiple attacks made up for it vs weak mobs. I wouldn’t be surprised if each version had some sort of bug in their mechanics and that would take an extended testing in each for someone with patience.

As to the races, the rando monsters also have the worse age restrictions and grow old faster so that would be a deterrent as well. I don’t know if their skills progress faster but that would have been something I’d program in if possible when the games were made (shrugs). Do lizardmen have superior swimming? In #3 maybe limbs are harder to destroy/damage on certain races.

Yeah, a Phantasie 1-5 ultimate remaster would be nice where every game is more or less on the same page and maybe aging is nerfed a tad.

Francois424

Educated
Basically, the lower-stat "brother" of the other race does not give any tradeoff to offset the lower stat roll... well except for player preference on how said party member will look. In a rebalance/edit of races, you could just add +1 charisma to make it up I guess, or give a bonus on one of the 9 skills (maybe goblins are expert at disarm traps and Pixie have insane spot for example).

As for the slash, it's not exactly it, but the AtariST version works very close to the example below (Using solid number instead of dice rolls):
Attack #1 => Damage 12
Attack #2 => Damage 12 + Result of Attack #1 (12) = 24
Attack #3 => Damage 12 + Cumulative Damage at the end of the Attack#2 line = 36+12 = 48
Attack #4 => Damage 12 + Cumulative Damage at the end of the Attack#3 line = 48+12 = 60

Now this works like Combos, if you miss attack #3, pretty sure it resets as if your first hit.
But assuming 4 hits in a row that means : 12+24+48+60
Unfortunately, with melee your attacks seem to be spread on anything you can hit, so you can't do the entire 144 damage on one target (well unless there's only one target)
Now usually you have dice rolls, so your damage could fluctuate wildly (high strength ensures a higher minimum/maximum damage), and could end-up with silly cumulative dmg rolls like 1-5-12-24 as much as 15-27-56-95 (I've even exceeded 100dmg on a high level fighter with a Sword+10 or God knife, and the text only show the last 2 numbers, so you can have your last attack display 00 to say 20, but it in fact hits for 120)

This makes warrior beasts in Phantasie3, Thankfully there are plenty of monster with high dodge or some damage resistance that mitigate that. Demons and Ghosts are nigh impossible to hit with melee for example.
It's just too bad MindBlast and FireBolt were both nerfed heavily in P3 if compared to P1 and P2.

There's quite a list of non-critical nagging bugs in P3. Most are harmless fun or force you to adapt your playstyle.
Others are more annoying (like the Constitution and Stat bugs = stats are locked from getting above 22 I think, and con above 10 does not affect your HP gains at all as far as I tested.)

But I really loved how the slash combo hit made warrior hit for a lot of damage. Thankfully the monsters benefit from that too, making some REALLY dangerous, especially when they cast Quickness on themselves

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Phantasie 5 I was trying to get sprite/fairy wizards because they seemed to excel in int or whatever it is called. 5 dropped the aging as far as I can tell.

IronEye

Literate
Maybe the amiga version is bugged. I always thought slash was the weakest but the multiple attacks made up for it vs weak mobs. I wouldn’t be surprised if each version had some sort of bug in their mechanics and that would take an extended testing in each for someone with patience.

As to the races, the rando monsters also have the worse age restrictions and grow old faster so that would be a deterrent as well. I don’t know if their skills progress faster but that would have been something I’d program in if possible when the games were made (shrugs). Do lizardmen have superior swimming? In #3 maybe limbs are harder to destroy/damage on certain races.

Yeah, a Phantasie 1-5 ultimate remaster would be nice where every game is more or less on the same page and maybe aging is nerfed a tad.
I didn't know of the harsher age penalty about randoms, interesting. So to recap then, the randoms have penalties of:
- Much less total stats than standard races
- Cost much more to train- not sure if this is exclusively due to lower CHA or an artificial penalty, because it seems massive
- Lower lifespans
- Fighter/Thief restriction
- Some of them don't really have a unique graphic in P3

And advantages of:
- Some of them have 20 or over in one stat
- Some of them have a unique graphic

Lizardman swimming bonus and tougher limbs bonus for some races are quite nice ideas. Actually here's the manual's description of lizardmen:
7 foot, scaly hunks of muscle. Lizard men are humanoid... barely... with great tails, claws, and a forked tongue. They eat like pigs but swim like lizards.

Based on that description, in a hypothetical rework I supposed lizardmen could be rebalanced as something like
19 str, 17 int, 21 dex, 19 con, 14 cha
+50 innate to Swimming

This would would give them the same total 90 stats as default races, and it'd mean they're stronger than humans, but just short of a dwarf's strength, but they'd be more agile than any default race (shouldn't a reptilian character be a bit more agile than a halfling?), but would still have low CHA making them costly. Not sure about the fighter/thief limitation. Anyway, similar balancing could be done for other races. I guess they wouldn't be overpowered as long as their low CHA was enough of a deterrent?

Also definitely agree about nerfing aging. Maybe a way to do that would be to address that 1 day passes per 1 tile movement while in dungeons (I think), that probably shouldn't happen.

Basically, the lower-stat "brother" of the other race does not give any tradeoff to offset the lower stat roll... well except for player preference on how said party member will look. In a rebalance/edit of races, you could just add +1 charisma to make it up I guess, or give a bonus on one of the 9 skills (maybe goblins are expert at disarm traps and Pixie have insane spot for example).

As for the slash, it's not exactly it, but the AtariST version works very close to the example below (Using solid number instead of dice rolls):
Attack #1 => Damage 12
Attack #2 => Damage 12 + Result of Attack #1 (12) = 24
Attack #3 => Damage 12 + Cumulative Damage at the end of the Attack#2 line = 36+12 = 48
Attack #4 => Damage 12 + Cumulative Damage at the end of the Attack#3 line = 48+12 = 60

Now this works like Combos, if you miss attack #3, pretty sure it resets as if your first hit.
But assuming 4 hits in a row that means : 12+24+48+60
Unfortunately, with melee your attacks seem to be spread on anything you can hit, so you can't do the entire 144 damage on one target (well unless there's only one target)
Now usually you have dice rolls, so your damage could fluctuate wildly (high strength ensures a higher minimum/maximum damage), and could end-up with silly cumulative dmg rolls like 1-5-12-24 as much as 15-27-56-95 (I've even exceeded 100dmg on a high level fighter with a Sword+10 or God knife, and the text only show the last 2 numbers, so you can have your last attack display 00 to say 20, but it in fact hits for 120)

This makes warrior beasts in Phantasie3, Thankfully there are plenty of monster with high dodge or some damage resistance that mitigate that. Demons and Ghosts are nigh impossible to hit with melee for example.
It's just too bad MindBlast and FireBolt were both nerfed heavily in P3 if compared to P1 and P2.

There's quite a list of non-critical nagging bugs in P3. Most are harmless fun or force you to adapt your playstyle.
Others are more annoying (like the Constitution and Stat bugs = stats are locked from getting above 22 I think, and con above 10 does not affect your HP gains at all as far as I tested.)

But I really loved how the slash combo hit made warrior hit for a lot of damage. Thankfully the monsters benefit from that too, making some REALLY dangerous, especially when they cast Quickness on themselves
Thanks for the clarification on slash. I wonder if the stacking damage works the same on other versions or if it's just Amiga and ST that behave this way, as they appear to be the two versions that look the most similar. It does make fighters have more appeal for sure. Even in games like FF6, when a melee character is eventually able to attack multiple times, it's just cool. Hitting random targets is a concern on paper but hmm, I was admittedly surprised with how well it worked out in P3 even with that randomness. I've also never seen a game do that before, and it just sorta works.

Interesting that Mindblast and Firebolt were nerfed. I did notice in my playthrough that Mindblast wasn't very good, partly because it couldn't damage limbs meaning no chance to remove a torso for an instakill nor cripple units by removing arms, and partly because lots of high-level monsters had some kind of hidden magic resist stat where certain spells (Mindblast was one) simply don't hit them. Firebolt however seems to hit every enemy type, disregarding typical diceroll misses here and there. I don't mind a magic resist stat existing, but I guess the player characters should have that as well.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, the series could really use a complete facelift. Has anyone gotten the StarCraft versions of Phantasie to work? PC98 or otherwise? You know, thinking on say Phantasy Star combat, you can see the influence of Phantasie there. In final fantasy combat win = dance like Phantasie.

From what I’d wager is a good start party is 2 dwarf warriors, 2 elf mages, 2 elf priest. I heard maybe a thief early on but later it seems not needed. I never picked up playing 3 having left off at 1 and then my disks screwing up. I didn’t think that mobs could have destroyed limbs so that’s a plus. It looks like 1-2 are magic heavy and 3 is melee/missile heavy + buffs for best results.

Francois424

Educated
Well if you don't go for a thief, you need something to open locks and disarm trap (Having no spot/disarm traps is not critical, but it will be very painful at times). And not having pick lock is very restrictive in some dungeons... Tho I don't think any quest critical items is behind very hard to unlick doors, if any locked doors.
Technically, you could substitute the 2 Warriors for Rangers. If you pick your spells carefully, you can have Healing4 and I think 4 attacks tho that is late in P1/P2 (and much easier to get in P3). The problem with rangers tho is that if you want a Minotaur Ranger and a Troll Ranger, you have to hex-edit to change the race and adjust stats after.
In that facelift I hope we'll get every race can be every class, even if that is a bad decision in some case (a 5int troll wizard would most likely suck). But a Sprite Wizard would be awesome.

As for a proper remake as well? Looking at what OSMO did for Final Fantasy Renaissance, a Unity remake of Phantasie One, borrowing much from Phantasie Two/Three for mechanics/graphics is starting to make more sense to me.
- It's easy to "borrow" the graphics from P3,
- do palette swaps for different colored dragons, undead beetles and whatever missing mobs/race. (Like a grey/purple palette swap for "Dark Elves" is easy to do and just introduce more visual variety, and filling in missing party races that have repeat ugly art)
- Attack animation are only 2 frames (striking and idle).
Optional menu options to load or not say, body parts hit...

If I had the time/skill to start the attempt, I could not guarantee 100% accuracy on the mathematics for HP, hit%, damage and so on, nor could I guarantee perfect accuracy on dungeons/monster spawning/composition thereof.
Well if I'm still alive and kicking once I reach retirement (in some 15-20years) and nobody ever did a remake then, I suppose that could be a pet project of mine... With the advent of AI, it might compensate my lack of skill and allow me to perform as the director rather than the programmer. Picture upscaling would do wonder with making an HD version.
We Phantasie fan deserve that remake eventually.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, only idle & attack pic makes it far easier to toss in gfx. Isn’t there a rather popular rogue game that always swaps out gfx? I forget which atm. I’m always seeing tilesets for it. Tbh, I like some of the tiles from appleii, c64, atari800 as well. I can’t say much for Stardock versions and when I ever get those running; I WILL MAKE A TILESET. I wish KROAH explored each version fully including 4-5. What info he has is fine and the tiles are up for AtariST/Amiga I believe. I don’t know if any of the tile sprite sites has full sets up; my guess is a big fat NO. I mean, no one ever put up every might & magic and bardstale game gifs up either. And I believe not seeing that art preserved is a damn shame.

Francois424

Educated
I was able to put KROAH's gif into "Tiled" and recreate the map from the overworld of P1. The only thing is that there was no desert tiles for "Deep Desert" nor for "Deep Ocean" so I managed something for deep desert but it does not look good. I did not bother for Deep Ocean and it wasn't shown in the real P1/P2 either.
Yeah game media preservation leaves much to be desired... Much like older TV shows too. I've been working on a "PBS Nova" collection for the better part of 10 years now, and Getting anything pre-2000 is quite impossible, and when I do it's often really poor quality. So gaming is going thru the same thing (and we haven't hit the bottom of the barrel yet).
Thank god for the emulation scene. I guess it's part of our generational issues. Gaming was niche before the mid-nineties and anything that came before kinda does not have a lot of attention from able-bodies programmers. Heck no one ever managed to remake MOO2 in HD (No, the Wargaming MOO remake is not worthy), let alone the older titles.

One day... One day we'll get something nice. In the meantime, emulation is king.

Here's what the map looks like. Funny enough on IMGUR there's a voting system and it's sitting at negative 3. I guess ppl are not a fan of the tileset.

BY0VhQy.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is fine imho. I was going to make this map with EUOs maped tileset (I have a few custom 32x32 pixel sets or could opt for the standard 16x16. Coastlines and certain roads are always an issue if you don’t like tiles that are only 1 type of terrain. Diagonals etc oh lordy! I was going to do the same with Questron series and Xyphus. Oh Xyphus, you weird tiles you. Lotta fun playing that game.

Francois424

Educated
Make sure to post it if you ever make it.

And yeah it's good.
Map looks better a bit zoomed (as it would be if I where to ever go ahead and remake P1 in the P3-syle engine).
And I've since then corrected the 2 mistake still present on this one. (Water tile directly west of the southern Magic Pool, and the "mountain coastlines" south of town of "Splitwater" (At least I think that's the name of that town).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Other tilesets I forgot: wizard’s crown/eternal dagger, shard of spring/demon’s winter, death lord (which has a fantastic project that continually gets updates). Oh there are probably others.

IronEye

Literate
The map looks good, nice for me also since I haven't played P1/P2 so it looks like totally new frontiers. (though I did watch Sinatar's P1/P2 videos which I was grateful for)

Another P3 question I had - Healing IV revives members as well as avoids the -1 CON upon revive, and starts you off with an HP of however that diceroll turned out (1-99). Resurrect also revives, but gives -1 CON and starts you off at 1. The only advantage I found that Resurrect has over H4 is that Resurrect also works mid-combat while H4 only revives outside of combat. To me this means the only moment that you might ever want to actually use Resurrect is in the final bossfight, because otherwise, if in any fight where members have died, either beat the fight with the remaining guys or run away and revive the dead guys with H4 to avoid the CON penalty.

Was this a bug? The manual doesn't mention that H4 is capable of reviving which seems odd. And just to reiterate this is P3 on Amiga. I'd be interested to know if this wasn't a feature in other versions?

Francois424

Educated
That I do not know. It's one of those hidden mechanics. I do know there are 2 ways you can have a dead character : Lower than 0 HP, or getting Head or Torso body part "Removed".
So Healing 4 being able to regrow body parts as well as recuperating HP, it make sense given the above that a character might come back to life, albeit in a very poor state (often missing a limb or two if you had it rough before dying).
It works on the AtariST as well. My honest opinion is that losing permanent constitution on dying/getting resurrected, with no way of legit regaining it at all is a poor mechanic anyways, It can end-up destroying your character(s) long-term.
So any game that removed CON, I just reload when I die. The Healing4 "trick" just makes it what Resurrection should've been. That is to be brought back from life without penalty.

It's an artefact of old 2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons. Starting from 3rd onward they made "greater resurrection" (which would be Resurrect II in Phantasie if we had that spell) that just do what "Healing 4" does here. So it's fair game.
Probably was not intended at all, and it took me a LONG time to discover this one, but is a welcomed addition IMHO.

The Undead trick was pretty neat too, where you get a priest/wizard to die and get turned into undead (level20 in P3) gives you access to all the spells provided you pay to learn them.
Early game it's a great way of getting your limbs back until your own priest can get said healing spells. The undead wizard is mostly for Transportation between town, should you need it.

I haven't played the DOS version of P3. There's no reason to since Amiga/ST versions are FAR superior to them in every regards.
But with the pack that has been released, anyone could test it if they wanted to. If you do, test the constitution bug while your at it (make a 10con warrior and another 21con gnoll warrior, and level them up some with savescumming before each level-up. On Amiga/Atari you dont get more HPs between the 2, which is wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom