Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PG3 - Let's take all their potato!

spectre

Arcane
Next mission. Enroute to Stalin's city!
LP001Pre1.jpg

LP001Pre2.jpg

This'll be interesting. A Search&Destroy mission. We also have to secure a nuber of objectives. Let's look at the map.
LP001Pre3.jpg

Yep. No way around it, we'll have to split again.
There's lots of open terrain to cover. Good thing our scouting team is capable.

The objectives are also placed pretty nicely. The route is obcious, we circle the map, searching for the units to kill, then we converge at the final objectives.

No new recruits this time. But we get new toys to play
LP001Pre4.jpg

Hellraiser and Garf's rides are all pimpin'
LP001Pre5.jpg

But nothing beats the pimpiness of the leopard-skin Messershmidt

Time to roll. No new faces today.
Time limit for major is very generous at 12 turns. I'd say this actually means trouble.

Guderian.jpg

Scouts, give me intel.

LP001Scout1.jpg

Nex.jpg

Repoting minor resistance near the airfield.
LP001Scout2.jpg

Gondolin.jpg

Same here. Seems quiet.

We split our forces.
Kampfgruppe Nord is: Anus, Garf, HooDoo, assisted by Nex.
Kampfgruppe Sud is: Carius, Derper, Hellraiser, Serrated, Psyhic, Cassidy and Garfunkel.

Yeah, uneven. The reasoning was that KpfgNord will get more luftwaffe assistance, hence the AA goes with the others.
Will probably bite us in the ass soon-ish.
LP001Scout3.jpg

JoKA.jpg

Luftwaffe moving in for the kill
LP001Scout4.jpg

JoKA.jpg

And how exactly did the scouts managed to miss that?
LP001Scout5.jpg

JoKA.jpg

Proceeding with bombardment. Taget destroyed.

Enemy turn. We see heavy movement. Scouts and aircraft swarming over us.
LP001Scout6.jpg

LP001Scout7.jpg

LP001Scout8.jpg

The airplane is quickly dispatched, although it takes a combined effort.

Nex.jpg

That Fokker went a bit too far. Should I retreat to town?
Guderian.jpg

Negative. Luftwaffe will mop up.
LP001Scout9.jpg

LP001Scout9a.jpg

JoKA.jpg

Target destroyed.

Kampfrruppe Nord proceeds in taking the airfield.
LP001Move1.jpg

Kampfgruppe Sud also proceeds as planned.
LP001Move2.jpg

Serrated.jpg

Ok, where did that came from?
LP001Move3.jpg

eklektyk.jpg

Bitch is beelining for the objective.
LP001Move4.jpg

eklektyk.jpg

That'll teach you.

Gondolin.jpg

Kommand, I see the objective.
Guderian.jpg

Elite guard Infantry. That's what we're here to kill.
Guderian.jpg

But where's the rest?
LP001Move5.jpg

The airstrip near the secondary objective was taken. Moments after the shot up Yak attempted to take cover.
LP001Move6.jpg

Fallshirmjaeger move in. they'll assist in taking the objective then move to the airfield to proviude support to Kampfgruppe Nord.
LP001Move7.jpg

Carius.jpg

They're not offering much resistance.
LP001Move8.jpg

Guderian.jpg

So much for the better. We take the city and are on our way.
LP001Move9.jpg

Oh well, shitty score bonus this time.

LP002Sitrep1.jpg

Kampfgruppe Nord did some fighting near the airfield, but otherwise no serious contact with the enemy.
LP002Contact3.jpg

It also seems that recent events have really toughened up HooDoo.

Kampfgruppe Sud met with the main enemy foce. Infantry plus Tanks. they'll need the Luftaffe support for now, until we clean up.

JoKA.jpg

Luftwaffe proceed to strike the main target/.
LP002Contact1.jpg

eklektyk.jpg

Copy that, Ziel in sight stukas!
LP002Contact2.jpg

Nex.jpg

Not this again. They're going straight to the town.
LP002Contact4.jpg

Nex.jpg

The Luftwaffe is all tied up. I am withdrawing to secure the entry point.

In the meantime, Hellraiser and Derper assisted by Luftwaffe reduce the T34s to scrap metal.
LP002Contact5.jpg

LP002Contact6.jpg

LP002Contact7.jpg

Derper.jpg

That was quick.

Guderian.jpg

Good work. Now we only need to find the other four.

spectre

Arcane
LP002North1.jpg

Without air support, Kampfgruppe Nord take their sweet time with the objective.
Anus.jpg

We'll be needing some support here soon.

Garf.jpg

Krap, I think I found our target.
Anus.jpg

Kill that scout and withdraw.
Anus.jpg

Better hope there isn't more of them hiding.
LP002North2.jpg

Anus.jpg

Hold formation,dammit.
HooDoo.jpg

No way, we need to neuter that arty up north.
HooDoo.jpg

If it stays at full strength, we'll be dead meat.

Hidden Movement.

LP002North3.jpg

Anus.jpg

Ohsit. Gott dammit!
LP002North4.jpg

Anus.jpg

What the fuck did I tell you!
Garf.jpg

This is funking it. Were done.
LP002North5.jpg

Anus.jpg

Fuhrer protects. We're still alive.
LP002North6.jpg

Guderian.jpg

Kampfgruppe Nord, damage report!
IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/spectre999/Chars/Anus.jpg[/IMG]
Still there. Barely. Some air support would be nice.
eklektyk.jpg

Vaterland will not let you down Kameraden. Lick your wounds while the stukas relieve you.
LP002North8.jpg

Nex.jpg

Here kitty kitty...
LP002North7.jpg

Nex.jpg

Your arsch ist mein!
LP002North9.jpg

Indeed it is. But the ruskie recon narrowly escapes death.
LP002North9b.jpg

Guderian.jpg

We can't let it go away. Luftwaffe, assist.

JoKA.jpg

No gddamn way we do it.

Katz.jpg

I've some rounds left. Let me.
LP002North9c.jpg

Katz.jpg

It's done.
Nex.jpg

Close call that one was.

Azira.jpg

Droppping in. We will assist Kampfgruppe Nord.

Garf.jpg

Bout time.

vonUlm.jpg

Scouting enemy positions. It seems they're fleeing south.
LP002North9a.jpg

LP003Sitrep2.jpg

Indeed they do. Meanwhile, AKmpfgruppe Sud moves to take the second objective.

Carius.jpg

Kommand, we're clear to assault.
Guderian.jpg

Proceed. I want it taken swiftly, don't let it slow you down.
LP002South1.jpg

Serrated.jpg

Stupid ruskie, he's going straight at my gun
LP002South2.jpg

Serrated.jpg

That hurt.
vonUlm.jpg

Allow me to cleanse the gene-pool of this fool.
LP002South3.jpg

vonUlm.jpg

All in a days work.
LP002South5.jpg

Objective is swiftly taken, as planned. Carius becomes even more awesome.

Meanwhile, up north, the Kampfgruppe struggles with the objective.
LP002South4.jpg

eklektyk.jpg

Target killed. Only two more to go.

And Kampfgruppe Sud cautiously approaches the objective.
Gondolin.jpg

Scouting. Damn, they're dug in.
LP002South6.jpg

Guderian.jpg

Movement ahead. Keep your guard up, this is a flanking attempt, clear as day.
LP002South7.jpg

LP002South8.jpg

Heavy armor. They rolled past us.

We proceed to wipe them out.
Cassidy.jpg

The T34 comes down fast like a 10 Mark whore
LP002South9.jpg

Cassidy.jpg

Watch out, there's a KV1C out there as well.

IT takes a while, and lots of artillery shells to spften it up, but it's finally put down.
LP002South9a.jpg

LP002South9b.jpg

Sitrep time.
Kampfgruppe Sud had some difficulties enroute, but is now proceeding towards the planned objective.
Kampfgruppe Nord is in deperate need o reinforcements. Currently, it braces itself to meet the counteroffensive.

spectre

Arcane
Enroute to the objective, Kapfgruppe Sud meets with a small couterattack.
LP003Finish1.jpg

It is swiftly dispatched.
LP003Finish2.jpg

Unfortunately, a lone recon unit somehow managed to get past us and is stealing our land.
LP003Finish3.jpg

In a seriously derpy idea, I send Carius to take it back... then realize it doesn't really matter.

Kampfgruppe Sud positions itself for the siege.
LP003Finish4.jpg

Psychic.jpg

Ready to go. I've also found our missing friends.
Psychic.jpg

Where to begin... that blastes katyusha is out there nearby probably.
Serrated.jpg

How about a good trashing for that aircraft?
LP003Finish5.jpg

LP003Sitrep3.jpg

The enemy attempts to flank us again. Or are they just running into the desert?
We had a golden opportunity to nail then in the swamps.
Unfortunatly, the lutwaffe was done for the turn.
LP003Finish6.jpg

eklektyk.jpg

Proceeding to strike target.
LP003Finish8.jpg

Garf.jpg

Assisting. We cannot risk them at our rear.

Anus.jpg

We dig in, waiting for you to mop up, Luftwaffe.
LP003Finish9.jpg

Meanwhile, Kampfgruppe Sud has found the Katyusha.
LP003Finish10.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

Mutter Fikker,that hurt a bit.

The siege doesn't go to well for Kapfgruppe Sud. No air support and only one damaged artillery mean
stuff takes much longer thani t should.
LP003End1.jpg

They attept to reposition... and Gondolin manages to ambush the guardsmen in the process. The AI
seems to have one of them WTF moments again.
LP003End2.jpg

Meanwhile, Kampfrugppe Nord prepares for an assault.
Guderian.jpg

Hmm. Multiple artillery and AAs. We need some serious bombing here.
LP003End3.jpg

Eklektyk obliges.
LP003End4.jpg

Meanwhile, I just noticed that JaKo got a commendation while killing stragglers.
LP003End5.jpg

Holy...
Aight, he's now officially awesome.

The AAs are down, so we test his newfound power.
LP003End6.jpg

LP003End7.jpg

JoKA.jpg

I am become death!

LP003End8.jpg

Azira drops in to join the fun. And immediately begins to clean up the house.

LP003Sitrep4.jpg

At the end of turn, the situation looks like this. Last turn for major vitory, our assault is going good.

Enemy turn, the KV closes in, threatening our artillery.
LP003Mopup1.jpg

Mwanwhile down south, Derper and Hellraiser finally manage to chase off the AAs and get to the artillery.
LP003Mopup2.jpg

LP003Mopup3.jpg

Derper.jpg

Like fox in the henhouse.

JaKo rains death on the offending KV.
LP003Mopup4.jpg

LP003Mopup5.jpg

It falls quickly.

Eklektyk brings the house down on city defenders.
LP003Mopup6.jpg

LP003Mopup7.jpg

And the objective is taken. Gee, we totally need it right now.

Meanwhile, Derper laughters the artillery. Including the katyusha which was part of the objective.
LP003Mopup8.jpg

LP003Mopup9.jpg

Derper.jpg

Who is awesome, guess who, guess who.
LP003Mopup10.jpg

And Cassidy quickly takes the city. We get a nice artillery leader for our efforts.

LP003Victory.jpg

Victory is sweet. Our kill count remains impressive, and we got moar potato this time.

Debriefing
Ok, I confess, I fuked up this one a bit. The northern group could have used an extra tank.
Would have made a hell of a difference. Although, in my defence, there were more objectives down south,
so I expected timid resistance up north.

The turn limit was generous, and yet I almost made the Major victory. Also, the theory seems to be confirmed, finishing the scenario early gives a bit more points, although I'm not sure how much was the "good press" bonus, so in the end, the difference could have been minimal, like 200 points or so.

Our bombers are now officially awesome. Overall, it shapes up nicely.
I have open slots and I am out of recruits atm, so please enlist, or I will reincarnate our fallen under a different name.
We have enough Tank leader by now, btw, and we could use an extra Artillerist or two asap.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
Pushing dem updates, eh. Sweet.

Overrun is such a sweet perk. Arty gets also massive suppression values with veteran orders.
LP001Move8.jpg

JoKa

Cipher
LP003End5.jpg

i hoped from the second you posted which commendation you never saw on a bomber and wanted it badly that i would get it. thanks for the Oppenheimer-citation, it looked like it was deserved :salute:

spectre

Arcane
Overrun is such a sweet perk. Arty gets also massive suppression values with veteran orders.
Yep. Overrun with Blitz makes really makes mopping up easy. I also think that Carius just got wedge attack. Anyways, I'll be doing some levelling in the next updates, and I'm planning to show some of the high level veteran orders, with effects if possible.

thanks for the Oppenheimer-citation, it looked like it was deserved
Yep it's uber. To the point of being unbalancing in fact, but, you should see that in the coming updates.

By the way, we need volunteers for arty and the AT. If noone volunteers, I'll reincarnate Merkwurdigliebe and Vaarne in these roles (don't worry I'll get you that bloody StuG eventually :-P)

We're halfway through with the game, btw, so I am cautiously optimistic about pulling this through.

Unfortunately, it's PGIII's big flaw that once we get us some good equipment and the majority of the officers become level 6+ a lot of the game becomes rinse/lather/repeat, that's why I am not bothering anymore to note that the artillery is preemptively shelling everything that comes in its ine of sight and that our tanks quickly mop up thanks to blitz+overrun.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
spectre said:
By the way, we need volunteers for arty and the AT. If noone volunteers, I'll reincarnate Merkwurdigliebe and Vaarne in these roles (don't worry I'll get you that bloody StuG eventually :-P)

Is there any decent mobile artillery available by now, like the Wespe ? Otherwise draft me for AT duty. A Marder would be fine. Would like the much underrated Nashorn in the future though.

drexciya

Augur
Circuitbreaker said:
spectre said:

Is there any decent mobile artillery available by now, like the Wespe ? Otherwise draft me for AT duty. A Marder would be fine. Would like the much underrated Nashorn in the future though.

The Stug with the 105mm howitzer would be a nice alternative I guess for mobile artillery. And given the time frame of the scenario, the StugIIIF/8 should be available around this time. I think they were available right about the time the Marder series pops up.

I cannot find a file with units and the date they appear in the game, so I'm guessing a bit. Is the Nebelwerfer any good as an artillery piece?

spectre

Arcane
Sorry for the lack of action, since volunteers are had to come by, I will start reincarnating the fallen as our official policy hereinafter.

Can I volunteer? Despite being already dead, I mean.
NP. Just give me a name.

Thanks. Unfortunately, no decente mobil arty yet, should be around in two or three missions, we can get lucky with random bonuses as well.

drexciya said:
The Stug with the 105mm howitzer would be a nice alternative I guess for mobile artillery. And given the time frame of the scenario, the StugIIIF/8 should be available around this time. I think they were available right about the time the Marder series pops up.
Yep. We have a proper StuG right now, Vaarne called dibs, so I guess I'll have to oblige him (-:
Thing is, using AT class that was is a poor man's substitute - the AT causes no supression, and the range stays at 2, which means we cannot one-shot disable weak AAs to clear the way for bombers. It's good for making a few addiitonal potshots at the distance, that's about it. It also doesn't have reaction fire until the leader is level 10. Of course, it's a different story if they put a StuG variant in the artillery class, which i possible, but I don't have the unit table on me as well.

Is the Nebelwerfer any good as an artillery piece?
We've been having a neblwerfer, thing is, stat wise it's inferior to the howitzers we use right now - on par with soft target damage, but noticeably lower AP capability. I may use it for a mission or two for shits and giggles, though. Why not.

drexciya

Augur
spectre said:
drexciya said:
Yep. We have a proper StuG right now, Vaarne called dibs, so I guess I'll have to oblige him (-:
Thing is, using AT class that was is a poor man's substitute - the AT causes no supression, and the range stays at 2, which means we cannot one-shot disable weak AAs to clear the way for bombers. It's good for making a few addiitonal potshots at the distance, that's about it. It also doesn't have reaction fire until the leader is level 10. Of course, it's a different story if they put a StuG variant in the artillery class, which i possible, but I don't have the unit table on me as well.
I'm probably thinking of Steel Panthers, where the StuH42 (that's the proper name of the StuG with the 105 mm howitzer) was seen as an artillery piece. Although it will have a shorter range than the regular 105mm, it is much tougher.

I'm checking the PG2 manual right now, and the StuH42 comes up in 10/42 as an AT piece; it's really arty, too bad you cannot change this easily. It has 15 Soft Attack (compared to 11 for the StuG IIIF - 4/42), which is quite neat, I'm not sure how that would work in the actual game. In PG1 it's listed as artillery however, strange.

The Nashorn comes up quite early in 43, which rather surprised me.

spectre

Arcane
drexciya said:
I'm probably thinking of Steel Panthers, where the StuH42 (that's the proper name of the StuG with the 105 mm howitzer) was seen as an artillery piece. Although it will have a shorter range than the regular 105mm, it is much tougher.
There actually IS a StuH42 is PG3, listed as artillery. Sadly, it's on par with the rest of the self-propelled artillery pieces, range 2, pitiful ammo. Attack stats are ok though.

Shame that you cannot easily flip some of the units, say, the 88 into AA and AT mode.
It's possible to a degree with some veteran orders, but it's an Ersatz - for AAs you can fire one shot only, and ATs need the leader to be level 10 for defensive fire.

Awright, enough of the idle chatter.

Stalingrad: The Prelude
New mission awaits us.
LP001Begin1.jpg

Before we actually go and bring us some Vasilij Zaytzev head onna stick, we have some mopping up to do along the way.

LP001Begin2.jpg

Specifically, three towns need to be taken.
The Fuhrer is stingy with medals, but we do not fight communists for petty distinctions.
Unsere Ehre heisst Treue!

Having air superiority would be cool indeed, but at this stage of the war, it is won with blood.

First let's review the recruits.
LP001Begin3.jpg

Second incarnation of Vaarne. De to a brian fart, I didn't change your name, but you have the MAJESTIC StuG now, so
:salute: and hope that you :love: me now.
LP001Begin4.jpg

Then, we reincarnate Merkwirdigliebe as Merk. :salute:
I'll give im the Nebelwerfer for shits and giggles.
As you can see, it's super effective vs infantry, but has pitiful ammo and the range is lesser than the Haubitze.
We'll give it a spin nonetheless.

Finally, for the ardous task of driving the comandeered commie scheisspanzer Hellraiser gets a new toy.
LP001Begin5.jpg

See, I am a man of my word. Look at the armor on that one.

A'ight. Let's review the map.
LP001Begin6.jpg

Guderian.jpg

Zee operation looks fairly straightforward. First major objective is relatively close, but taking the other two requires splitting the Kampfgruppe.
Guderian.jpg

Since we will have to do it anyway, we will divide into three parts.
Guderian.jpg

A smaller task force will take the western approach, taking the secondary. They will move quickly to the Western major objective and wait for air support.
Guderian.jpg

The main battlegroup will take the central route.
Guderian.jpg

AT with recon support will take the Eastern path, probing the route to the easternmost secondary, and flanking the primary objective if necessary.

We begin.
LP001Begin7.jpg

10 turns for major victory, it is unlikely that we'll take the eastern secondary, at best we'll take the western one,
possibly the central one as well, but that'll depend on how the situation develops.

The forces are divided as follows:
Kampfgruppe West is Anus, Carius and Derper, with Nex providing recon support.

Gondolin and Vaarne will be the scouting party for the eastern secondary.

Rest will be the Main Kampfgruppe. Cassidy will protect our backside.

I promoted Carius a bit, weird, whe should already have the second commendation by now.
Maybe it's so random, or the counter (or whatever) resets itself between missions.
LP001Begin8.jpg

Don't be fooled by the "large bonus", in practive it often accounts for a single kill more. Although I'll have to check how it works when firing at two hexes away.

Same for HooDoo
LP001Begin9.jpg

Unfortunately, the combat order sucks unimaginably hard.
In 3D assault, the order increased attack vs. ground troops and was p. cool. This isn't.

Anyhoo..

Guderian.jpg

Sudilikov awaits for capture.
Guderian.jpg

Onwards men, scouts I want intel!

Nex.jpg

Taking position near the river. Lone T35 spotted, over.
Katz.jpg

The view is better from the above.
Katz.jpg

I see a KV2B.
LP001Scouting1.jpg

Katz.jpg

AA spotted, disengaging.

Gondolin.jpg

Proceeding to scout the primary.
Gondolin.jpg

Multiple enemy Kontaken. They have artillery and AA support.
LP001Scouting2.jpg

Guderian.jpg

Verdammte, too far away for our arty.
Vaarne-1.jpg

I'm moving in to flank.

Anus.jpg

No need to play nice, let them know we're here
LP001Scouting3.jpg

Anus.jpg

Hmm. I was expecting better.

Merk.jpg

Let me test the 'Werfer
LP001Scouting4.jpg

Merk.jpg

Not bad.

Hellraiser.jpg

I burn with the anticipation!

Hellraiser.jpg

Such power...
What immortal hand or eye / Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?
LP001Scouting5.jpg

Garf.jpg

If you'll forgive me, we still have some mopping up to do.
LP001Scouting6.jpg

Hidden Movement.

Katz.jpg

Under enemy fire!
LP001Scouting7.jpg

Nex.jpg

Holy shit! T35, incoming!
Anus.jpg

We have your back, stay calm.
LP001Scouting8.jpg

Nex.jpg

Noooo!
LP001Scouting9.jpg

RIP Nex. Death by an Il 2M3.
Much too young.

What just happened over there: the T35 is overstrengthed (like most of the shitty equipment tends to be), to 12 str.
The tank has ok stats, which are further increased by 20%, making it pretty uber.
Anus fired at it, but the effect was minimal. Nex was forced to retreat into difficult terrain, far from Katz's protective umbrella.

To add insult to injury, fraps missed the frame saying he's KIA.
:rage:

Derper.jpg

Our Bruder shall be avengerd sevenfold. Artillery, shell them Mutterfickern!
Anus.jpg

Roger. AA neutered.
LP001Assault1.jpg

Derper.jpg

Moving to kill.
LP001Assault2.jpg

Anus.jpg

Damn, the T is fricken hard.
Carius.jpg

Allow me.
LP001Assault3.jpg

Anus.jpg

Some luftwaffe support maybe?
Carius.jpg

I'll kill it.
LP001Assault4.jpg

Carius.jpg

Bow to me, Schwein!
LP001Assault5.jpg

Gondolin.jpg

Recon here, spotted enemy aircraft.
LP001Assault6.jpg

Guderian.jpg

Inconvenient. They'll have to wait.
[A brain fart on my part, totally forgot that the AA does not protect aircraft.]

Psychic.jpg

Artillery here, we took up positions for the siege.
Merk.jpg

Firing missles.
Merk.jpg

Target disabled.

HooDoo.jpg

Pioniere moving in to strike.
HooDoo.jpg

Cutting path to the objective.
LP001Assault7.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

I'll take the airfield just in case.
LP001Assault8.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

I'll take the airfield just in case.
Hellraiser.jpg

And look what I found.
LP001Assault9.jpg

Vaarne-1.jpg

Moving in to eliminate stragglers.
LP001Assault9a.jpg

Vaarne-1.jpg

Erste Blut.

TBC...

spectre

Arcane
Guderian.jpg

No sense in getting shot up by the AA. Luftwaffe, assist the Western Kampfgruppe.

JoKA.jpg

Moving in, Kommand.
LP002Siege1.jpg

JoKA.jpg

KV Ausgebombt.
JoKA.jpg

We're being bothered. Fighters assist.
Katz.jpg

We got your back.
LP002Siege2.jpg

vonUlm.jpg

We have multiple air contact incoming.
vonUlm.jpg

Prepare yourselves, I am protecting our arty.
Vaarne-1.jpg

They're on me.
Serrated.jpg

Don't sweat.
LP002Siege3.jpg

Serrated.jpg

Nailed you, foker.
Anus.jpg

Holy shit, what about us?
LP002Siege5.jpg

Anus.jpg

Shit!

Garf.jpg

We have a T34 on our ass!
LP002Siege4.jpg

Garf.jpg

Krapp und Kock!, we're outta here.

The Ruskies counterattack. Garf, Anus and Carius are shot up. The Schweinhunde also move in some raggedy ass partisans to prevent refitting.

Psychic.jpg

They'll be dead meat in a second.
LP002Assault1.jpg

Guderian.jpg

In a minute. We need to clear the situation in the west first.
Guderian.jpg

To refit or not to refit...
Carius.jpg

I can still kick Arsch!

Indeed. The arty is a bit shot up, but we can still disable the defenders. There's an AT nearby that needs killing.
LP002Assault2.jpg

JoKA.jpg

We bombed the defenders. Rest is up to you.
LP002Assault3.jpg

Derper.jpg

And how am I to do it with no infantry support?
Carius.jpg

I'll show you how it's done.
LP002Assault4.jpg

Derper.jpg

I softened it up for ya?
LP002Assault5.jpg

How conveniently inconvenient.

eklektyk.jpg

I'll get that At.
LP002Assault6.jpg

Shit. Another overstrenghtened pos. Bombers alone aren't enough.
Carius.jpg

Hmmm. How about...
LP002Assault7.jpg

Yep, it's so much better with Aimed Fire.

Sitrep time.
LP002Sitrep1.jpg

Assault in the west goes as planned. Objective is secure. We only need to refit the arty and we are en route to the primary.
Central assault needs some work, but we're getting there. The easternmost secondary we'll have to skip, it seems.

Back to the first objective.
LP002Main1.jpg

Merk.jpg

Rockets are sehr gut vs. infantrie.
Garf.jpg

Gut they're taken care of. Gives me some space to take a breather.
LP002Main2.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

Striking from the flank.
LP002Main3.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

Cower, you fools!
HooDoo.jpg

Flamenwaffen, moving in to take the city.
LP002Main4.jpg

HooDoo.jpg

Enemy has withdrawn, city is taken.

No treat for us this time. But, I'll try something... first, we move in the AT (Vaarne is shot up from the enemy bombers and infantry entenched in the city attacking in their turn. Anyways, the enemy infantry is surrounded by units...
LP002Main5.jpg

Yep, it works. They have nowhere to go.
Gondolin.jpg

How quaint, they're surrendering.
LP002Main6.jpg

HooDoo.jpg

We have some mopping up to do.
HooDoo.jpg

Look at them run!

Enemy turn. Von Ulm is repositioned to screen Anus.
Great success. Managed to air-ambush a La-5
LP002Main7.jpg

vonUlm.jpg

They're making it too easy.
vonUlm.jpg

No, really, that's just...
LP002Main8.jpg

LP002Main9.jpg

LP002Main9a.jpg

Katz.jpg

:salute: On your way down tawariszcz.
Katz.jpg

Good time for a refit.
Anus.jpg

Same here. Damn, they got the wheels again.
LP002Main9b.jpg

Aaand since I just about forgot abbout the Fallshirmjaeger, we reposition them closer to the front line.
LP002Main9c.jpg

spectre

Arcane
Gondolin.jpg

Scouting northern path.
LP002Second1.jpg

Gondolin.jpg

We see the stragglers from the city. Also a lone artillery piece.
Gondolin.jpg

Would be a shame not to exploit this.
eklektyk.jpg

Luftwaffe, mopping up.
LP002Second2.jpg

LP002Second3.jpg

JoKA.jpg

Stragglers killed. The path is cleared.
Psychic.jpg

Gut. We'll kill the arty first.
LP002Second4.jpg

On enemy turn, we get a minor counterattack. A fricken KV 1C and a ZiS

The ZiS tries to get our arty with bomber support, but is driven back with no casualties.
Serrated nailed the bomber, and Merk supresses the ZiS, forcing it to withdraw in shame.
LP002Second5.jpg

While our backs were turned, a scout car snatches the city.
Vaarne-1.jpg

Swear to gott, they're always there when you're not looking.
LP002Second6.jpg

Vaarne-1.jpg

That'll teach you.

We quickly drive the ineffectual assaulters back.
LP002Second7.jpg

Luftwaffe does the mopup and the road is clear for the objective.

5 turns for major left. Plenty of time.

Gondolin.jpg

Scouts report. Minimal resistance at the objective.
LP003Siege1.jpg

Gondolin.jpg

We see enemy aircraft.
Guderian.jpg

Gut, we need to cripple their air support.
Psychic.jpg

Siege equipment deployed, shelling the city.
LP003Siege2.jpg

HooDoo.jpg

I'll lead the way. Follow me to victory!
JoKA.jpg

The killing business' good. We have them.
LP003Siege3.jpg

vonUlm.jpg

We'll kill the bombers, just to make sure we do.
vonUlm.jpg

Shitfuck, there's more of them.
Guderian.jpg

Neutralize as many as you can.
LP003Siege4.jpg

Meanwhile, the small task force to the west...
LP003Siege5.jpg

Carius.jpg

Dammit, we have no recon support.
Anus.jpg

We'll take it slow. Probing attacksthen we wait for air support.
Carius.jpg

Reasonable.

Ok this is not good.
LP003Siege6.jpg

Not good not good ,the AI just pulled an artillery out of its ass.
HooDoo.jpg

Holy tittyfuck!
LP003Siege7.jpg

Miraculously, hooDoo is still standing after the arty barrage, AT barrage and a fighter strike.
HooDoo.jpg

I'm outta here!
LP003Siege8.jpg

HooDoo.jpg

This is just mean!
Katz.jpg

Stay still, we have them!
Katz.jpg

Damn it, some came through!
HooDoo.jpg

Fuck, no...
LP003Siege9.jpg

RIP HooDoo. You glorious service to the Vaterland will not be forgotten.

Guderian.jpg

No, Gott! Why?
Guderian.jpg

He'll have a true aryan funeral.

Time for sitrep.
LP003Sitrep2.jpg

Western approach is approaching target. There was some lagging due to an odd angle of the roads and the artillery needed a refit badly. They need luftwaffe support to take the objective, but that's not happening until we secure the eastern objective.

Our pioniere are lost, which is most unfortunate. We're short on infantry as we are.
Unfortunately, the Nebelwerer is lagging behind and was not used to full capacity in the previous turn.

Also, as you can see, some marauders were spotted near Vaarne's position, they already took the airfield.
Good thing we left a rear guard.

spectre

Arcane
We wreak our vengeance on the enemyaircraft.

von Ulm, Heinz Katz and Serrated jointly work together to clear the skies.
LP003End1.jpg

LP003End2.jpg

The defenders have no AA, so the luftwaffe is free to bomb their hides.
LP003End3.jpg

LP003End4.jpg

Next turn. Some AA is seen. Unfortunattely, they're too late.
Merk.jpg

Rockets away.
LP003End5.jpg

Psychic.jpg

They're shelled to Oblivion(tm). Now there's just mopping up.

Unfortunately, more movement was seen around Vaarne's position.
Vaarne-1.jpg

I'm cool and all, but some support would be fine.

Meanwhile, the city is taken.
LP003End6.jpg

Hellraiser.jpg

Objective secure.
Gondolin.jpg

Stragglers eliminated. No enemy movement nearby. We're done here.

LP003Sitrep3.jpg

Indeed. One last objective to go. Carius' group sees someresistance, but we'll have to shift some Luftwaffe to them soon.
I'm a bit worried about the south. Tanks and AT are approaching Vaarne's position. He doesn't have the commendation yet, so he's not fully entrenched.

Carius.jpg

Time for the probing attack.
LP003End7.jpg

Carius.jpg

Shelling target. Derper, try to flank them.
LP003End8.jpg

Derper.jpg

Scheisse, a Katyusha. Good thing the KV's built like a brick shithouse.
Carius.jpg

Withdraw to my position. We need support for this job.

Enemy turn.

Vaarne-1.jpg

Lovely, just what I needed.
LP003End9.jpg

Vaarne-1.jpg

Crap, this will be tight.
LP003End9a.jpg

Vaarne-1.jpg

Not dead yet.
eklektyk.jpg

I've got your back Soldat. Fuhrer protects.
LP003End9b.jpg

Vaarne-1.jpg

That was helpful. Refitting.

JoKA.jpg

I'll assist the other Kampfgruppe.
LP003End9c.jpg

JoKA.jpg

Here I come, say auf wiedersehen to the Katyusha.
JoKA.jpg

Shit. AAs.
LP003End9d.jpg

JoKA.jpg

Shit another katyusha.
Anus.jpg

I have it in my sight.
Anus.jpg

Hopefully we can supress it for just enough...

Azira.jpg

We're here.
LP003End9e.jpg

Azira.jpg

Fallshirmjaeger, rendering assistance.
Carius.jpg

That's what I am talking about.
LP003End9f.jpg

Carius.jpg

Target destroyed.
LP003End9g.jpg

Carius.jpg

Aaand we're done.
LP003End9h.jpg

LP003Win.jpg

Fuhrer will be pleased with all that potato. Kills went down a bit, but the score is fine.

Debrief
t126179_modern-viking-funerals.jpg

The fallen shall be forever emembered as the Fuhrer's finest.

Shame to see Nex go in such a stupid, stupid fashion, although his demise is overshadowed by HooDoo's.
We're currently undermanned when it comes to infantry, worse still, there's nobody to replace them, I only have a bunch of level twos.

The scenario was fairly straightforward. The deaths were simply bad luck and a bad case of AI pulling artillery
and bombers out of its ass (the bomber that nailed Nex was deployed in enemy turn). Not much I could do, they had superior airpower there and I only had 2 fighters to go around. Unfortunately, winning air support is tedious when you have to juggle protecting your column and chasing bombers.

I only took one secondary this time. t was unfeasible to attempt more, as our air forces would be stretched thin to do it.
I could have taken the central secondary, but I'd rather pull out and not risk losing carius or derper. Or Azira, with two katyushas out there I didn't want to risk it and we need that infantry support badly.

I'm a bit worried about the infantry. We have a shitload of tank and AT leaders, so maybe I'll just plop some of them as SS to support our advance and we'll se how it goes.

Next one is Stalingrad, we're off the steppes and back into the cold again, so brace yourselves.

spectre

Arcane
Yep, seems like HooDoo is one tough motherfucker. You recall he went MIA the last time.

I think I'll use that AT leader and plop him into infantry shoes just for the heck of it.
That'll mean no veteran orders and no tactician commendation, but we'll se how it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom