Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 3 is a bad game that could have been nice

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If Atlus was not so typically Atlus in making it. Endless grinding, 'puzzle' bosses to create late game illogical challenge, requiring yet more endless grinding. Horrendous Elizabeth mini-quests that depend on random drops (the rare chests level drops). Infuriating megaten fusion system augment by cards (good) while probably increasing the markup of using the compendium (bad). Tries to be a M-rated JRPG that the central theme is death, falls all over itself being the most stridently possible about it; (everyone's a orphan, coffins in the dark hour and blood running down streets :roll:, heroin addict antichrist, suicide summoning imagery - was funny at least - protagonist death). Yet, still didn't use any of that flash effectively, especially the 'true' ending, which left me non-plussed with how anti-climatic it is, died a few months afterwards, ok, why not right away. Presumably that was sequel/DLC bait for that crap that was so badly regarded even by weaboo-tards they left it out of the portable version.

COME AT ME OTAKUS
:yeah:

Nice quotes though:
"I make my living as an elevator attendant, but… I know several effective ways of inflicting pain"

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW i always thought that other megaten than Shin Meganami Tensei have been wasting their Demons thematic potential for a long time. In this game all the demons have is quotes when fusioned and some give items once enough grinding has been done, in the SMT games they had little story lines, like Alice and her 'uncles' or Masakado.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Persona 3 is a bad game. The randomly generated mazes are absolutely boring (beyond any help, really) and the fact that the original release did not even allow you to control your other party members is a deal breaker. Frankly, when I found that I am enjoying the VN parts more than the actual dungeons, I called it quits and never looked back (This was sometime in August, so I can't really comment on the story beyond the retarded anime cliché of teenagers doing everything).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well, trust me that there was worse to come (especially the 'twist', didn't much mind the 'drama'). Since i played portable the first thing i did was turn on manual control so the combat system wasn't too bad for me, except for the mentioned 'puzzle' bosses that apparently could kill you whenever they want, but are being good sports about it.

Oh i forgot. If you play New Game+ while in a 'lovers route' there is a additional dialogue line at the very end. Presumably this is deemed to be enough by the Atlus writers to make their brain damaged fans go through a 90 hours game consisting of a dungeon with 256 floors again.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
If you are grinding past the very early stages (which is only needed for a max social links run) and having trouble with full moon bosses, you really suck at the game. Most likely cause: not enough fusion (once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to abuse, ESPECIALLY in the PSP version).

P3 has LOTS of problems (mid-game is auto pilot, the pacing is terrible) but grinding isn't one of them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Who said i was having trouble with full moon bosses? Just the normal 'gameplay' of going up 15 levels per boss on tarturus is enough to qualify as grinding to me (not to mention the bullshit you have to do to get personas of appropriate level and abilities to deal with Elizabeth or god forbid, get Opheus Telos).

In fact, it was so not hard that i mostly coasted solo after level 30 to minimize later tedium and inject a bit of medium game challenge (joke was on me though, since the experience system scales the rewards to the medium level of your party later on, so a bit more grinding was necessary to deal with levelups for the Margaret fight which requires a full party).

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
'puzzle' bosses to create late game illogical challenge, requiring yet more endless grinding.

Sounds like it (full moon bosses are the only one ones that are really "puzzles").

But yes, completing a block is terrible and unfun.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh that was a dig at Elizabeth, Margaret and that sandroom front row 'doors'. They're the only fights that gave me trouble later on, and that because, they're literally puzzles. Probably some of that was my fault (i weapon-fused a few ultimate weapons, since my protagonist had the level for some high level fusion because of the solo tartarus escalation), but by the 60th hour in the save game i just wanted to rush.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Anyone who thinks Persona 3 is a fun game have brain problems and/or have no friends are are using the S. Links as a substitute. I don't know what the fuck Atlus was thinking when they first made it so that you can't give direct orders to your characters. Maybe they thought allies shooting you in the back with a shotty in Fallout was a good "feature"?

Which one is better - P3FES or P3Portable?

P3P has the controllable allies, which makes combat about 90% less frustrating. Also has a Female MC option.

P3FES has a kind of expansion, but it's just another dungeon crawl. Non-controllable allies means you have to grind a shit ton. Only get it if you really want to punish yourself with that extra dungeon.

P4 is the better game though, play that over P3 if you haven't yet.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If Atlus was not so typically Atlus in making it. Endless grinding, 'puzzle' bosses to create late game illogical challenge, requiring yet more endless grinding. Horrendous Elizabeth mini-quests that depend on random drops (the rare chests level drops). Infuriating megaten fusion system augment by cards (good) while probably increasing the markup of using the compendium (bad). Tries to be a M-rated JRPG that the central theme is death, falls all over itself being the most stridently possible about it; (everyone's a orphan, coffins in the dark hour and blood running down streets :roll:, heroin addict antichrist, suicide summoning imagery - was funny at least - protagonist death). Yet, still didn't use any of that flash effectively, especially the 'true' ending, which left me non-plussed with how anti-climatic it is, died a few months afterwards, ok, why not right away. Presumably that was sequel/DLC bait for that crap that was so badly regarded even by weaboo-tards they left it out of the portable version.

COME AT ME OTAKUS
:yeah:

Nice quotes though:
"I make my living as an elevator attendant, but… I know several effective ways of inflicting pain"

... Persona 3 is one of those "YMV" games. You have to play it in the right mood. Also maybe a "pick it up later" and finish it sort of game. All at once it is kind of repetitive.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why are you screaming murder about noncontrollable characters? Have you ever been in real combat? You can give them some reasonable directions, and that's enough.

In fact I played every main boss without reading hints, and on the first try.

The Answer is the worst game I ever played, how can this even exist. Everything is rehashed, incoherent, and just useless.

And why did you play it?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I had fun playing through P3 FES when it first came out. I haven't really had the desire to touch it since, though, because it is an epicly long game and P4 has a better combat engine.

I found the grind in it manageable, but I can certainly see why someone would find it a bit too much.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why are you screaming murder about noncontrollable characters? Have you ever been in real combat?
Internet Discourse for Fucktards 101.

Just out of curiosity, would any kind of real combat do, or would it have to specifically be fighting manifestations of human psyche using jungean archetypes? Because that might be a problem...

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I did feel that Persona 3 was pretty weak overall. Didn't really like the cast, Tartarus was pretty bland (though dungeon design wasn't Persona 4's strong-point, either), and the story moved at a horrific pace.

I keep hearing people say that the soundtrack was great, and I do agree that it was pretty good. But when at around the 40 hour mark I just kinda muted the TV whenever I went into a dungeon and put on some Joy Division instead.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's actually much more bearable than both variations of persona 2 (two titles named 'persona 2' how hipster meta). Now that was unbearable, even if only psychologically, random encounters were much worse than the blobs, encounter frequency was through the roof, backtracking was abundant due to the rumor system, fuckyou-huge-mazes, first one protagonist was a fucking twit, story was unbearably retard-lol-random and it didn't even have a dating sim aspect.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom