Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

agris

Arcane
Patron
The biggest issue with his deep dive on firearms was, at the end of the day, weapon damage scaled with weapon skill.

That stupid mechanic ruins any semblance of lethality or meaningful itemization

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The biggest issue with his deep dive on firearms was, at the end of the day, weapon damage scaled with weapon skill.

I guess it was more for the look and feel, and maybe the mechanics of the weapons.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What he needs is a better team made by people that know how to make good games and love making games, not whatever is working at Obsidian now. There is no reason for him to waste all that time in those things if the end result is not good. It's sad, in fact.
It's far preferable for Josh Sawyer to waste his time at Obsidian than for him to find a position at a developer that might actually produce good games. :M Quarantining Sawyer is the best that Obsidian in its current state can possibly accomplish.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What he needs is a better team made by people that know how to make good games and love making games, not whatever is working at Obsidian now. There is no reason for him to waste all that time in those things if the end result is not good. It's sad, in fact.
It's far preferable for Josh Sawyer to waste his time at Obsidian than for him to find a position at a developer that might actually produce good games. :M Quarantining Sawyer is the best that Obsidian in its current state can possibly accomplish.
I disagree. He has done some fabulous work in the past.
His masterpieces were flawed... but still better then 95% of other games.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Citation? Well, more like my opinion maybe.

Well, New Vegas is deeply flawed (partially inherittance from Fallout 3 I guess), but is rather highly regarded overall (though personally I don't love it).
NWN2 was seriously flawed... but Mask of the Betrayer, while still having issues... particularly with engine and... Balance - is a great epic adventure.
Icewind Dale 1+2 have heavy combat focus... but again, are regarded pretty high.
Alpha Protocol was pretty creative in what it has achieved.

Pillars of Eternity and Deadfire also have their issues, particularly with pacing, but are still IMO some of the best isometric games since Planescape: Torment and mostly on a similar level as Owlcat's work.

Along with Owlcat, he's one of the few developers I still believe to be capable of making great AA crpgs.
Although Larian surprised me by also making a pretty great one (though on an AAA budget, I guess).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Citation? Well, more like my opinion maybe.

Well, New Vegas is deeply flawed (partially inherittance from Fallout 3 I guess), but is rather highly regarded overall (though personally I don't love it).
NWN2 was seriously flawed... but Mask of the Betrayer, while still having issues... particularly with engine and... Balance - is a great epic adventure.
Icewind Dale 1+2 have heavy combat focus... but again, are regarded pretty high.
Alpha Protocol was pretty creative in what it has achieved.

Pillars of Eternity and Deadfire also have their issues, particularly with pacing, but are still IMO some of the best isometric games since Planescape: Torment and mostly on a similar level as Owlcat's work.

Along with Owlcat, he's one of the few developers I still believe to be capable of making great AA crpgs.
Although Larian surprised me by also making a pretty great one (though on an AAA budget, I guess).
6FiBo6T.png
that’s a low bar x 1

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You should use your influence to get him a job at Bioware.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You should use your influence to get him a job at Bioware.
As much as I detest Josh Sawyer, he is a competent project manager who has lead development teams from start to finish on time and within budget. There would be a risk of him helping Bioware, which currently seems on the verge of extinction. :incline:

Yeah, that's true. He really does appear to be a good project manager and has the entire soulless corporate wage slave thing down.

Stanislavsky

Novice
Oh yeah, forgot this game existed. Was it as bad as every other Obsidian game or just as bad as every other modern game?
Well, it's a fun, well-written "media experience entertainment" :)
I think you should "play" it.

ferratilis

Magister
A Catholic interviews a godless Californian heathen. Although he did write Joshua Graham, which is a rare example of a religious character being written well.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

he is the master of shitty ideas

Beastro

Arcane
Not as well researched as one might want. In the Honest Hearts DLC, I made a number of mistakes there, especially when it comes to Native representation. I’ve already tried to say as much as I can [apologizing] for it, and I just have to try to be better in the future.

One thing to say you could do better, another is to say this.

They were pretty lackluster, but what was so egregious about them to people, especially within the context of Fallout?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'll be damned, catholicgamereviews.com is a real website.
Nowhere near as cool as this tbh:

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2001/rune.html

the fact that your character is motivated by revenge and encouraged throughout to seek justice through his own hand is terribly un-biblical. Romans 12:19 says "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." As this game suggests a day of reckoning is coming, but the violence will not come from our hands. Keep this in mind as you play through this game and be thankful it is Ragnar who is taking all the punishment and remember why you don't have to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom