Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pen + Paper Warcraft-RPG [d20 game]

potatohead

Novice
Has anybody heard of this / Is this common knowledge?

I don't PnP, maybe some of you do. To illustrate how much of a newb I am I don't even know what 'd20' means exactly [rule set .. engine?]
anyhow I thought I'd pass this along:

http://www.blizzard.com/market/warcraftRPG/

http://www.warcraftrpg.com/

Coming to a comic book store near you in July ... er wait .. wasn't that last month? :roll:

Um, do we really need this? Let's see, they've got humans, orcs, dwarves, elves, goblins, trolls, undead, dragons, demons, and various lesser races. I could probably whip up a Warcraft setting with the core gamebooks in a couple of hours. I'm also kinda curious, if your leader climbs the tech tree and buys advances for everyone, do you get them? :P

Sabotai

Liturgist
potatohead,
I'm curious. What exactly made you sign up here at RPGCodex?

As to d20, it's the name of a game system on which a lot of Game worlds are based. DnD for example. It refers to dice used in these games which have 20 sides, hence d20.

potatohead

Novice
I'm curious. What exactly made you sign up here at RPGCodex?

A person has to start somewhere? I thought, maybe, somebody would see my picture in the RPG Codex yearbook and assume I was as cool as the rest.

As I said 'I don't PnP'. You will not find my fingerprint on a single d20. I'm surprised you didn't chide me on the use of the buzzword 'engine' :oops:

Sabotai

Liturgist
potatohead said:
A person has to start somewhere?
You sure picked the place for it.
... RPG Codex yearbook ...
Now there is a thought. I've always wondered what Rosh would look like in real life, not to mention Astromarine's gaming wife.

Zetor

Arcane
Considering that the Warcraft universe is (very) loosely based off the Warhammer Fantasy setting according to the devs, releasing a WC d20 PnP game sounds kinda... weird. :P 'Course, WOTC (or was that TSR?) did release a Diablo AD&D campaign setting (complete with randomly generated phat lewt!) a few years ago, so I'm not surprised.

Sabotai said:
Now there is a thought. I've always wondered what Rosh would look like in real life, not to mention Astromarine's gaming wife.
TEH HORROR!!!1

-- Z.
he who does not grok marketing

Astromarine

Erudite
Not a horrible idea. Maybe we'll find that Volourn is a 6.5 foot hulk that would MAKE us play NWN and MAKE us LIKE it if he had his hands on us IRL ;)

Araanor

Liturgist
I remember I thought the orcs, goblins and some of the atmosphere in WC2 reminded me of Warhammer. WC3 takes the step further, they even made use of a recurring Warhammer artist..

Psilon

Erudite
The heavy armor worn by humans in a Blizzard cutscene screams Warhammer, in my opinion. I've never actually played anything by Games Workshop, but the styles on the front of the minis boxes look very similar.

Spazmo

Erudite
The Warcraft RPG is garbage. It's just a quick-cash in on Warcraft and d20. It might, however, introduce a bevy of new people to the hobby, so it's good in that aspect.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I can guarnatee I couldn't 'make' anyone do anything unless you are a wuss.

What I really love is that there's something like 6 books at $25 - $35 a pop. They don't even look that long. What an incredible ripoff. They could have made one uber setting book like the Forgotten Realms one, but they've got to snooker people into coughing up nearly $200 American for this stuff.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'd rather spend $50 on the excellent Warcraft III and derive a PnP setting from that by myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom