Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC performance thread

Sodafish

Arcane
Hey guys, anyone with a 970? How are your fps with max settings?

Deciding between buying a 970 or 980 once the Ti brings the prices down.

Yeah, 970/i7/16 GB here. Get 45-55 fps with everything on ultra.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
New GeForce 353.06 WHQL drivers released, may help with Witcher 3 performance some.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85817/en-us (x64, not for mobile or Titan X which are separate links)

Edit: Apparently, these are supposed to address the much-talked-about bad performance in Witcher 3 using any Kepler-based GPU, such at the GTX 660, 670, 760, 770, etc. I'm certainly seeing a nice little boost for my two 760's. Nice to crank more details up and still maintain my precious 60fps.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-35306-whql-driver-released-address-performance-kepler-gpus/

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

ok I got the game, installed, updated the nvidia drivers, installed patch 1.3....set everything to low, resolution 1280*768 or something and the game runs like total shit, it must be around 15 FPS.. what do, guys?
GT 545 DD3 3 GB
Well there's your problem right there.
Even with that shitty card it should still run decently.
it doesn't really at all, it's unplayable
Did you set everything to low, turn off all the post-processing and set it to 1024x768?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadmus

Arcane
ok I got the game, installed, updated the nvidia drivers, installed patch 1.3....set everything to low, resolution 1280*768 or something and the game runs like total shit, it must be around 15 FPS.. what do, guys?
GT 545 DD3 3 GB
Well there's your problem right there.
Even with that shitty card it should still run decently.
it doesn't really at all, it's unplayable
Did you set everything to low, turn off all the post-processing and set it to 1024x768?
yes :(
besides, even if it worked on these settings, it looks like shit and there's no reason to play it like that

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Nah, it looks fine on those settings. Better than the original Witcher anyway. I refuse to into graphics whore. Just set your standards lower and pretend you are living in the year 1998.

That said, I'm honestly very surprised. It's extremely laggy on my intel hd4000 (built in intel card that sucks for most games), but I would have thought ANY NVIDIA card on a PC would do better by miles. Does it crash or just stutter like crazy?

Cadmus

Arcane
Nah, it looks fine on those settings. Not any worse than the original Witcher anyway. I refuse to into graphics whore. Just set your standards lower and pretend you are living in the year 1998.

That said, I'm honestly very surprised. It's extremely laggy on my intel hd4000 (built in intel card that sucks for most games), but I would have thought ANY NVIDIA card on a PC would do better by miles. Does it crash or just stutter like crazy?
I haven't even left the first room because the FPS was so low it was annoying as fuck to look for the key. It didn't crash, the FPS was just very low, I could check with fraps I guess but it's still unplayable. And it looks like shit, definitely. This PC ran W2 just fine although not great, it's a shame.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Not a bad looking game even after the downgrade. I'm playing mostly on ultra except I set shadows to high, grass and foliage to medium. I get anywhere from 40-50 fps. I have a reference r9 290 that throttles a lot under load- should switch to a better cooling solution.

dlMZuVE.jpg

hJrc04z.jpg

Adwu5iW.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game looks fantastic and terrible at the same time. There's some very clever work with landscape, architecture and overal world design but some textures, especially vegetation and some rocks, is quite bad. Plus the colours are a too vibrant and oversaturated - again - bordering on idiotic, like the nuclear eye-destroying sunsets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Witcher_3_Sunset.jpg

pko4torc4sn1otooko5b.png

Who are CDPR trying to impress with such garishness? Even the dumbest consoletards must find this a bit too much.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My game is not that red/orange? Strange BTW I'm not using any SweetFx.

5B2676F79C424D376C1F927E1898831480E06591

This is a shot from Skellige and I think it's not as bad on the islands. But check again on the mainland, you'll see it's just as orange as in the pictures I've posted.

And btw people are using SweetFX to tone down the vibrancy, not up. There are many settings like "Natural Color Palette" or "Reduced Saturation".

Cadmus

Arcane
This PC ran W2 just fine although not great, it's a shame.
This is really quite puzzling now.
I don't know what's puzzling.
As I said before:
my older PC with 8800 GT,4 GB RAM i5 2,20 GHz or something, can't remember now, ran W2 (before the stupid EE) just fine on medium to high settings
my gf's pc with 545 GT,8 GB RAM, 3,30 GHz i5 ran it a little bit worse but still totally good looking and playable

gf's PC can't run W3 worth a shit, I didn't try on my own yet. The guys in science forum told me that the 545 is total and utter shit and that's the reason for this. As far as I understand 8800 GT doesn't support DX11 so W3 shouldn't run on it at all.

Ivan

Arcane
New driver has definitely boosted my frame rate with GTX 670. I can now have foliage distance on High and get solid 40-50 fps with some dips to mid 30s in intensive areas (fyke island)

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
my older PC with 8800 GT,4 GB RAM i5 2,20 GHz or something, can't remember now, ran W2 (before the stupid EE) just fine on medium to high settings
my gf's pc with 545 GT,8 GB RAM, 3,30 GHz i5 ran it a little bit worse but still totally good looking and playable
That's weird, while 545 is a budget card it is still a couple of generations ahead of 8800 and should have better perfomance.
Is it by chance a notebook?

Cadmus

Arcane
That's weird, while 545 is a budget card it is still a couple of generations ahead of 8800 and should have better perfomance.
Is it by chance a notebook?
nope, they both a pre-built Hewlet Packard PC

Mortmal

Arcane
Disable NVidia hairwork, put shadows to low ,water low those are probably the ressources drain .Also I noticed a big performance drop if the game is not full screen check that.

Ivan

Arcane
only things that really matter are Shadows and Foliage distance. Water doesn't do shit.

I've tried changing shadows from High to Low but got 1 fps increase at most. The main killer is foliage distance, Ultra vs High is 15+ fps difference for me. Medium vs High almost no difference in performance, however. No reason to put anything lower than High it seems.
*edit* Seems new nvidia driver improved things quite a bit for my 760 as well. FPS mostly stays above 40 now and lowest I've managed to make it go was 34, in area in Novigrad where it actually dropped below 30 before.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Disable NVidia hairwork, put shadows to low ,water low those are probably the ressources drain .Also I noticed a big performance drop if the game is not full screen check that.
how far did you get in reading my post?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
GT 545 is utter crap, don't bother with it.
I've got an AMD 6850 1GB and according to this I can expect around 25-30 FPS with low settings.
DX 11 performance is the crucial point, GT 545 is hopelessly outdated so it isn't even half as powerful under DX11. 15 FPS max make sense.

edit: No wait, the video I posted was with frames limited to 30. So that doesn't really prove anything else than that he was convinced it would only run well with low settings...
Well ... take it as you will. :stupid:

edit 2: Another source with the 6850. Shitty low 4:3 resolution so subtract another up to 5 fps for 1920x1080.
So it doesn't seem to matter that the first guy activated framerate limit 30, 25-30 seem legit.
But I'm stunned how well it handles the transition to medium and high details. 15-20 FPS on high are unplayable but much more than I expected after the minimum requirements they released.
Still, will buy a new card soon. But not too soon. Will buy Twitcher 3 when the Enhanced Edition hits. ^^

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom