Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview PC Gaming Show at E3 2016: Tyranny Gameplay Reveal Trailer

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Isn't Conan public domain now (as are many, though possibly not all, of the original Robert E. Howard stories)? Anyone can use the character and the setting.

While those individual stories are public domain, Conan is trademarked by Paradox Entertainment, so one has to go through them to make new Conan stories.
:what:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I see that "generic setting" has become new "trash mobs", ie. a blanket term complaint that doesn't serve any purpose beyond making the monocles shine a little bit brighter.

But then one shouldn't be surprised at blanket complaints, considering we don't actually know any fucking specific thing about the setting.

throwaway

Cipher
My personal pet peeve is popamole, it actually had a meaning stemming from a very concrete mechanical analogy. Now it's used for just about everything like a fucking word filter.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I see that "generic setting" has become new "trash mobs", ie. a blanket term complaint that doesn't serve any purpose beyond making the monocles shine a little bit brighter.

But then one shouldn't be surprised at blanket complaints, considering we don't actually know any fucking specific thing about the setting.

The thing is, Obsidian can, in theory, do WHATEVER they want. But they typically play the SAFE card (Pillars of Eternity) when doing a new setting (just like BioWare did).

It would be refreshing IF they decide to push the envelope of this *better*, and actually DO something new and unique. But like you said, we don't really know much, it is a wait and see....

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Its the unchanging foundation. It drives everything. Economy, society, fucking food.

Yes, in the fucking real world, not in heroic fantasy RPGs. Does this conversation even has a point or are you arguing for the sake or arguing? Does it still has anything to do with Tyranny? Even if the climate is the same in both games they still feature different socio-political systems. Why are we even arguing? Game that changes a major part of a setting will always be less generic than a game that doesn't try to change anything. Even if you don't really think that this part is not significant enough to make a game non-generic it's still better than a game that does fucking nothing.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To be honest, a safe, standard fantasy setting was pretty much the thing they sold in the kickstarter and I believe what was expected of them. That game was clearly advertised as a new "Baldur's Gate" and you don't get any more bland than Faerun. I am still going through PoE these days, but I have to say I am not disappointed at all, so far, in the game. It's clearly what I expected and the game they sold us. Generic Bioware Infinity Engine game, in a generic setting. A feeling I didn't have since Baldur's Gate 2, so not complaining.

Tyranny looks more researched. The idea is simple, pure, yet this kind of setting hasn't been explored much in fantasy cRPGs (although plenty in Cyberpunk ones).

Incline is a slow process, and considering how low we had gotten before the indie&kickstarter craze, you have to accept you have to give it some time. PoE felt like a perfect entry point. Tyranny looks like it's expanding on those ideas.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Incline is a slow process, and considering how low we had gotten before the indie&kickstarter craze, you have to accept you have to give it some time. PoE felt like a perfect entry point. Tyranny looks like it's expanding on those ideas.
Well, they added cooldowns, reduced the number of party members to 4, are doing level scaling, unless this game do a revolution of CnC and storytelling (what I much doubt so) it is basically a grim dark isometric Dragon Age, if that is incline, I'm confused.

Sannom

Augur
I don't think it can be more grim dark than Dragon Age though. At least in Tyranny the antagonists are humans, not an ancient Force of Evil!

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My personal pet peeve is popamole, it actually had a meaning stemming from a very concrete mechanical analogy. Now it's used for just about everything like a fucking word filter.
History became legend. Legend became myth. For none now post, to explain it.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Add LARPing to the list of abused terms. I think that originaly it had been used as a term for doing something that is not recognized by the game and pretending that it is (just like you are pretending in the real world LARPing). For example - pretending that your character has to sleep every night when the game doesn't recognize it at all. Now it pretty much is being used as a synonym of simulation or realism. And I've seen it being thrown as an accusation in the most ridiculous contexts, like for example accussing a grand strategy game or a wargame of larping because it represented some aspect of strategy in a more realistic way instead of a more gamey way (which is a ridiculous accusation, because that is the very purpouse of those genres - to be more realistic than other strategy games). Or throwing this term at people who want a Cold War grand strategy game that reflects political reality of the Cold War period instead of ignoring it.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Isn't Conan public domain now (as are many, though possibly not all, of the original Robert E. Howard stories)? Anyone can use the character and the setting.

While those individual stories are public domain, Conan is trademarked by Paradox Entertainment, so one has to go through them to make new Conan stories.

Wait what? That they can not. Conan is not a Brand that can be trademarked. Its a copyright.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wait what? That they can not. Conan is not a Brand that can be trademarked. Its a copyright.

http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Conan_Properties_International

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

Goods and Services IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Comic books, magazines and books featuring stories in illustrated form, [ novels, ] posters, [ iron-transfers made of paper, ] trading cards, [ stickers, and stationery ]. FIRST USE: 19700700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19700700
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76097984
Filing Date July 27, 2000
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition October 2, 2001
Registration Number 2522083
Registration Date December 25, 2001
Owner (REGISTRANT) CONAN SALES CO. LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 15301 Ventura Blvd. Building E Sherman Oaks CALIFORNIA 91403

(LAST LISTED OWNER) Conan Properties International LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 8484 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 870 Beverly Hills CALIFORNIA 90211

CONAN
Goods and Services
IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Comic books, magazines and books featuring stories in illustrated form, novels, posters, [ iron-transfers made of paper, ] trading cards, [ stickers, and stationery ]. FIRST USE: 19700700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19700700
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76097983
Filing Date July 27, 2000
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition October 2, 2001
Registration Number 2522082
Registration Date December 25, 2001
Owner (REGISTRANT) CONAN SALES CO. LLC LIMITED LIABILIATY COMPANY DELAWARE 15301 Ventura Blvd. Building E Sherman Oaks CALIFORNIA 91403

(LAST LISTED OWNER) Conan Properties International LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 8484 Wilshire Blvd., Ste 870 Beverly Hills CALIFORNIA 90211

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
They are gaming the system. They *can NOT* own/trademark Conan. Its just a trick to keep other's off. Everyone with basic knowledge of how Copyright laws work knows this. This enforces a situation where they can send cease and desist and scare weaker attempters off.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They are gaming the system. They *can NOT* own/trademark Conan. Its just a trick to keep other's off. Everyone with basic knowledge of how Copyright laws work knows this. This enforces a situation where they can send cease and desist and scare weaker attempters off.

The Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 1940s are public domain, but Superman the character is not and never will be.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

The Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 1940s are public domain, but Superman the character is not and never will be.

What the heck are you talking about. Superman *will* be in the public domain as soon as the copyright runs out in the USA.

I don't want this discussion to get out of proportion in an unrelated thread. So here's the final argument:

Yes, you can trademark a product name. Yes, you can trademark a logo. No, you can not trademark the character. The latter is a copyright. What paradox is doing is squatting and scaring away potential use by other parties. Litigations are costly and a great way to desist use.

For example: The comic book / book featuring superman (once it is out of copyright) can not be called Man of Steel or other names already trademarked without paying fees. However, the character INSIDE the book can be called man of steel and superman. Also, IF the logo (the s sign) is trademarked, it can't be used, but the character can be used nonetheless, just without the logo. As an extra irony, I would use the copyright logo *the c" on the chest to highlight this fact.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Superman *will* be in the public domain as soon as the copyright runs out in the USA.

Disney and other corporations have ensured that copyrights will never run out again.
That as you can see is a different discussion altogether with its inbuilt conspiracy nature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom