Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer Mass Effect 2 review

The Wizard

Educated
Lavoisier said:
Yes I put it in my mouth, gurgle, swallow and then ask "sir may I please have some more"
the dreadful truth is revealed. marcelo a gigantic faggot, more on page 23.

i'm actually looking forward to it. this whole cyborg shepard thing has me intrigued. it opens up many possibilities of being a gigantic prick to people by choking them with your cold, artificial limbs. hopefully bioware learned something. the last time i heard npc's talk so much but say so little was...oh wait, dragon age. nevermind.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The RPG-ness of ME boils down to: do I act nice or mean to the guy who gives me the quest,"

Bullshit. It has more role-playingness than most full fledge RPGs. More than TOEE for suire, or either BG.And, the Gb games. Etc., etc.

"But that's exactly what it is. A shooter with lite "rpg elements"."

Wrong. It's an Action RPG heavy on the rpg.

Character skills, C&C, dilaogue skills, multiple ways to complete quests (and game), etc., etc. Sorry, it's a RPG.

Fuckin' deal with it.

bullshit-lg%202.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Spellcaster said:
can a game be very light/shallow on numbers and complex rules while still being a real RPG if it has a considerable amount of C&C?

Get the fuck out.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
The Wizard said:
the last time i heard npc's talk so much but say so little was...oh wait, dragon age. nevermind.

Ugh I hate that. I like dialogue in games, but good game writing is so fucking rare. 10 minute conversations that have about 30 seconds of plot or character development really need to go.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
ScottishMartialArts said:
The Wizard said:
the last time i heard npc's talk so much but say so little was...oh wait, dragon age. nevermind.

Ugh I hate that. I like dialogue in games, but good game writing is so fucking rare. 10 minute conversations that have about 30 seconds of plot or character development really need to go.
I actually rather have Fallout 3 level of cheesy retardation in dialogues than too long dialogues with too little content. At least the first can be funny if you don't try to treat game seriously (like watching a bad movie) while the latter is just plain boring.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jim Cojones said:
I actually rather have Fallout 3 level of cheesy retardation in dialogues than too long dialogues with too little content. At least the first can be funny if you don't try to treat game seriously (like watching a bad movie)

Don't you mean "it is good for what it is"? There is nothing funny in retarded writing by people whose reading experience is constituted by reading movie subtitles (and moving their lips in process). So, using the phrases "I'd rather have Sellout 3..." and "can be funny" makes you a masochist.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
BG2 had decently long dialogues but they were interesting and engaging. Kotor 1's weren't quite as engaging but still okay. It seems in ME they went too far with the Kiosk dialogue and left the engaging dialogue for rare main story moments and the finales in side quests.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
GarfunkeL said:
What? You get enough skill points to max out nearly every skill, even if conversation skills drain few skillpoints. Maybe the "common sense" there is not to put skills into both shotguns AND assault rifles, as it quickly becomes clear that the "weapons" have no basis in reality, as the latter game pistols out-perform early-game assault rifles by orders of magnitude.

How the hell did you max every skill? I made it to lvl 42 or 47 playing at least 75% of the side quest and I didn't max one weapon skill. I don't think common sense is the right term. From my admittedly forgettable experience it was more of a strategic thing than common sense. Deciding what weapon skills best combine with your biotics or what biotics best compliment your party and then finally what Specter skills compliment both was decent strategy and roleplaying beget from that. If you don't find the right combinations its going to lead to reloads especially against resistant enemies.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"How the hell did you max every skill?"

He didn't. He's lying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom