Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer, good trolls or best trolls?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
How does Neverwinter improve on that?
By slipping PC Gamer a cheque in the mail along with the review copy.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I guess it's easier to make stupid jokes than read the article. Fair enough.

roll-a-die

Magister
Suejak I don't have the article nor do I particularly want to go out and find a copy of PC Gamer.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anybody actually read the article? How do they justify Neverwinter being the first true D&D game? Maybe it's just a trick to get people to buy the mag to see what the hell they're on about. :P

waywardOne

Arcane
I'll be at the airport tomorrow. I'll mortgage my house and pick up a copy.

Data4

Arcane
The last time PC Gamer was any good, Neil Manke was making Coconut Monkey Quake 2 levels for their CDs.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The last time PC Gamer was any good, Neil Manke was making Coconut Monkey Quake 2 levels for their CDs.

Wait, we're talking the US PCG and not the UK one?

Well, in that case it was always shit.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I never read the US one, but in the late 90's I occasionally read and even briefly subscribed to the Finnish PC Gamer, which was mostly based on the UK version. In retrospect it was pretty reliable (almost all of the games that scored over 90% have later gained a classic status as far as I remember), it had cool demo CDs, and at the back of every magazine there was a TOP 5 list of the best games in every genre including short descriptions that told me that Thief was awesome and everyone should play Grim Fandango. It never really went into in-depth analysis about anything (at most you got six pages about a subject, with two thirds of that being pictures), but it was fun to read and you rarely went wrong if you bought a game based on their reviews. Except for one prestigious magazine, I can't say that about any gaming media today.

Turjan

Arcane
Well, the woman on the cover still looks quite similar.

1300487191-00.jpg

They used "first" in their tagline, but obviously forgot "true".

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The woman in this box manages to be incredibly sexy without showing a lot of skin and sporting a realistic armour. This is where current media needs to learn from.

About Neverwinter, my expectations are absolutely zero on it. At least, it will apparently be a FreeToPlay game with people being able to design their own modules (to what scripting extent ?). On the paper, it sounds promising. But we all know how this is going to turn out.

Project: Eternity
PC Gamer used to be great, they had talented writers, but they progressively left to be slowly replaced with interns. When Greg Vederman left, the last of the old guard, the magazine became more or less useless. The gradual drop in quality from old school, educated DOS gamers who liked wargames, flight simulators and had journalistic integrity over to the excitable do the dew crowd indistinguishable from the likes of Kotaku was pretty dramatic.

I actually miss that guy, he was into a lot of the fratboy type of humor that the likes of Kotaku and Joystiq still thrive by, but he was serious and dedicated and always self-depreciating. I understand why he left the industry altogether.

Cleve has the right words when he compared past generations to the current one in his Grimoire interview.

The Vede was a hip cat, and you're spot-on about his departure sticking the final nail the rag's coffin. His Arcanum review actually influenced my decision to purchase it (and unlike their ratings nowadays, it was a well-deserved 90something%).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They fucked that up somewhere in design, though."

No, they didn't. The DMC works perfectly fine, you dumb shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The woman in this box manages to be incredibly sexy without showing a lot of skin and sporting a realistic armour. This is where current media needs to learn from.

This, you can have sexy fantasy armour without having it look ridiculous or have the armour be completely impractical. She could have some gauntlets or something but I don't know that anyone's getting excited by her bare hands.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
HEY GUISE PC GAMU WROTE SOMETHING DUM

Jesus Christ.

What

Repressed Homosexual
PC Gamer used to be great, they had talented writers, but they progressively left to be slowly replaced with interns. When Greg Vederman left, the last of the old guard, the magazine became more or less useless. The gradual drop in quality from old school, educated DOS gamers who liked wargames, flight simulators and had journalistic integrity over to the excitable do the dew crowd indistinguishable from the likes of Kotaku was pretty dramatic.

I actually miss that guy, he was into a lot of the fratboy type of humor that the likes of Kotaku and Joystiq still thrive by, but he was serious and dedicated and always self-depreciating. I understand why he left the industry altogether.

Cleve has the right words when he compared past generations to the current one in his Grimoire interview.

The Vede was a hip cat, and you're spot-on about his departure sticking the final nail the rag's coffin. His Arcanum review actually influenced my decision to purchase it (and unlike their ratings nowadays, it was a well-deserved 90something%).

Yeah, I can't stand the pea brained Bay Area hipsters we have nowadays instead of the sympathetic, unassuming yet uncompromising and professional nerds like us from the older days.

And you're right that then PC Gamer scores were accurate, you could really trust them and they weren't afraid to give execrable games the score they deserved. It seems so long ago now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

GueulEclator

Educated
What PC gamer is all about now...

cb1e0454d3a5219ed627fb18a5700722.jpg

Not to mention the constant BoringLandZ II Cocksucking.

$(KGrHqJ,!lYF!uPr!-7iBQZFBQQKOw~~60_35.JPG

The day I see PC Gamer Put a game Like Chivalry Medieval Warfare/Mount and Blade/Legend of E... on the front cover, the Day I resume my subscription. Until then, their just but a parody of other console Douchefags magazine

argan

Augur
I have some UK issues, and a lot of issues from the Swedish version. The Swedish version was actually very good around 97-02, but then the quality started decreasing. Not sure why; it feels like the magazine first started out with the "journalists" nothing more than 18-year old (which I believe they actually were) gamers, but now it's more like a profession.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
When the hell has PC Gamer ever put a niche, cult game on the cover?

Project: Eternity
The next one is probably know to any twenty-something Brazilian CRPG fan and might be the path from which they knew CRPGs:

1250109530-00.jpg

I still have the original Fallout 2 CD, even today.

:love::obviously:

Speaking of PC Gamer & Fallout, I remember playing that proto-Junktown Fallout demo (which, in contrast to today's demos, came out before the game was released in its complete splendor) on one of the mag's discs; that demo really opened my eyes to the virtues of PC games instead of console garbage (which had been my only real rpg exposure, at that point; I was barely a teenager when Fallout was released). I owe much to the PC Gamer demo discs of yesteryearmillenium.

And holy shit, some of those issues were thick enough to club baby AND adult seals.

argan

Augur
When the hell has PC Gamer ever put a niche, cult game on the cover?

Considering that PC Gamer here started in 96, no "older" games were put on the cover, but on the top of my mind:

Fallout
Diablo (I don't like it, but it's a cult game now)
Dungeon Keeper
Syndicate Wars

To be fair, the quality of games in general has deteriorated to the point where the act of putting a "new" game on the cover equals putting any generic action-RPG/FPS/whatever game on the cover. Once, Fallout was considered "new and exciting" even in the gaming media, but now even the idea of something turn-based would probably make a lot of "gamers" think "Turn-based? What the fuck is that?".

Luzur

Good Sir
Yeah, back when it first came out, PCG was the shit. Big, thick mag for the PC master race with all the proper :obviously: disdain for console gaming. Now it's just a magazine by douchebags for douchebags.

before that Datamagazinet was the boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom