Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Patrick McLean, Liz Danforth and Colin McComb on Wasteland 2's writing

Moribund

A droglike
Sounds good to me; I am excited!

I read the comments first and I don't think you guys are understanding english so good if that seemed like overblown marketing speak.

To me it shows all the good signs of a good creative environment. The more I learn of Fargo the more sure I become that he's good at spotting talent and getting work out of them. You don't just accidentally have 20 good games and NO bad games to your credit. I'm at like 1999 levels of optimism here when I thought games would only get better and better forever oh god it's heaven.

Sounds good to me; I am excited!

I read the comments first and I don't think you guys are understanding english so good if that seemed like overblown marketing speak.

To me it shows all the good signs of a good creative environment. The more I learn of Fargo the more sure I become that he's good at spotting talent and getting work out of them. You don't just accidentally have 20 good games and NO bad games to your credit. I'm at like 1999 levels of optimism here when I thought games would only get better and better forever oh god it's heaven.
Are you kidding? I think you're forgetting about Hunted: The Demon's Forge and Choplifter HD.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Calling it: Banal Shit Boring.

Too much PR and keyword speak for me.

This. All empty words to me. If Todd Howard or other "beloved" developers would make such PR nonsense they would be ridiculed on the codex, but in this case it's ofcourse the second coming of christ.
Right because the collective yawn so far is really the codex treating this like the second coming.

Anyways, there is no track record here. We don't know if they're just blowing smoke or actually making something good. If Avellone was talking about reams of story, I think there would be fair amount of jacking off around there parts though.

jewboy

Arbiter
It can all be straight from the heart. Who fucking cares. He can never be honest about his own work, just like nobody can. They will always try and see everything in the best light.

Nobody can?! That's bullshit. I never overestimate my abilities or anything else about myself. Never have. Never will. I hate people who do. Only chicks like arrogance. I avoid such people. Just because you oversell yourself doesn't mean other people do. It reminds me of liars who say, "everybody lies". Yeah, right. That's just what they want to think. I have no idea whether this guy is a decent writer, but he didn't seem to be selling himself much. He just said that the others were good. Not himself.

Moribund

A droglike
Are you kidding? I think you're forgetting about Hunted: The Demon's Forge and Choplifter HD.

But he never stopped pitching turn based wasteland 2, whereas those other clowns were the ones who voluntarily declined into rtwp then first person games.

Right because the collective yawn so far is really the codex treating this like the second coming.
Silence is consent. They both got 4 million bucks, yet I'm sure the demographic was a lot different between the two games.

Of all the talk there's just inaneatron and 2 other fanboys who are really invested in PE, but lots of people with misgivings.

Anyways, there is no track record here.
Get a grip. Seriously. MCA is only one who ever did anything worth a shit over at obsidian and this game is all pros, guys who worked on torment setting itself, etc.

We don't know if they're just blowing smoke or actually making something good. If Avellone was talking about reams of story, I think there would be fair amount of jacking off around there parts though.

Sure but how many more passes does Obsidian get for mediocre to disastrous games? MCA is only one dude and he seems to be more like the suit than the guy in the trenches these days.

roshan

Arcane
The people who funded this effort are the smartest, best, most demanding audience for this kind of game there is.

Too bad Obsidian obviously does not think this about Eternity's audience and is instead focusing on making the most dumbed down game possible.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Moridbund, I was talking about Wasteland and InXile, so I don't know why you brought up Obsidian.

Nobody can?! That's bullshit. I never overestimate my abilities or anything else about myself. Never have. Never will. I hate people who do. Only chicks like arrogance. I avoid such people. Just because you oversell yourself doesn't mean other people do. It reminds me of liars who say, "everybody lies". Yeah, right. That's just what they want to think. I have no idea whether this guy is a decent writer, but he didn't seem to be selling himself much. He just said that the others were good. Not himself.

'I never overstimate my abilities. I'm AWESOME at self-analysis. I'm as good at judging my own work as you could possibly want. Seriously, I'm INFALLIBLE when it comes to self-criticism. I never talk myself up AT ALL!'
:troll:

I get your point, insofar as I get annoyed when people excuse flaws by saying that 'everyone has them' ('everyone cheats on their partner'/'everyone lies'/'everyone's addicted to something' etc).

Moribund

A droglike
Because you talked about MCA AND how they had a shit track record, begging the question how MCA would somehow have a "good" track record in recent times.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In this room was a three foot high copy of the complete game script, parts of which each person in the room had been writing for the last three months. To give you an idea of how much material this really is, a movie script is an inch, maybe two at the most. To say that Wasteland 2 is going to be deep and interactive is an understatement.
Cautiously fapping.

Gozma

Arcane
I played Fallout: New Vegas recently and a big impression I had of the game was that I sure wished people like Caesar and House had Ravel-sized conversations instead of extremely brief voiced info quest dumps plus a tiny bit of exposition, but this was totally nonfeasible because 1) tyranny of voice acting and 2) this is a game made mostly for normal people so they won't even put the shit in a contrived longass journal next to the guy

So basically I am textthirsty

Grim Monk

Arcane
I played Fallout: New Vegas recently and a big impression I had of the game was that I sure wished people like Caesar and House had Ravel-sized conversations instead of extremely brief voiced info quest dumps plus a tiny bit of exposition, but this was totally nonfeasible because 1) tyranny of voice acting and 2) this is a game made mostly for normal people so they won't even put the shit in a contrived longass journal next to the guy

So basically I am textthirsty

This, and also...

Where were in-game item descriptions!?!

Assault rifle (Fallout)
An AK-112 5mm Assault Rifle. An old military model, out of use around the time of the war. Can fire single-shot or burst, using the high velocity 5mm rounds.

Gamma Gulp beer (Fallout 2)
A bottle of Gamma Gulp beer. It glows in the dark!

Healing powder (Fallout 2)
A very powerful healing magic- though it will bring the feeling of sleep to your head.

It may seem like a minor thing, but I really enjoyed :( reading those...

Zeriel

Arcane
You dont have to defend against every single stupid contention someone stupid makes, Infinitron.

While+on+Reddit.+Stuck+on+Reddit+because+someone+is+wrong_7db740_3459448.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As long as all this written text will be found in-game through dialogues and item/location/npc descriptions, I'll be happy. If it's a fucking Bioware-style Encyclopedia of worthless trivia, just so they can claim their game has MULTIBILLIONZILLION WORDS, then fuck 'em and burn it down.

But my understanding is that it'll be the former, not the latter, so yay and
:bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom