Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Rumors say about disabling Barrage on weapon attacks entirely.

wtf...

Edit: I don't really get this thirst for balance single player games with nerfs like this. It's not like EB is really broken. You spend a mythic feat for it, it really shines after 4-6 mythic levels and need a proper setup to work effectively.
Meanwhile I can charge with a really badly built rider for +300 damage easly, every round, without spending any resources.
I think as with Enduring it may just be about saving people from themselves. When people chase memes like this it’s no longer a single-player game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guys, Barrage is gone, and with a whimper, undocumented in patch notes.

Well, what I am trying to say is that elemental weapon enchants no longer trigger divine damage from Elemental Barrage on weapon attacks. Noticed it in rogue-like, confirmed in umodded save with Eldritch Archer Magus.
so now it is only for spellcasters that specialized in two elements?
Generally. Or using stuff like Elemental Assesor I guess.

Desiderius

Patron
TTT limits it to spells establishing the mark, which lasts three rounds. As with Sneaks and Bites it looks like iteratives (which spells don’t have) are what drives people crazy for it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, no aoe EB with Wide Sweep on SS for me. Guess I started my new build too late :)

Oh well, will manage without it. But will miss this bonus damage.

Hm, means I should try to get Holy enchant or such somehow instead... but don't have free Arcana for it... damn.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

Well, what I am trying to say is that elemental weapon enchants no longer trigger divine damage from Elemental Barrage on weapon attacks. Noticed it in rogue-like, confirmed in umodded save with Eldritch Archer Magus.
Woah woah woah really? It's completely gone?

Desiderius

Patron
So, no aoe EB with Wide Sweep on SS for me. Guess I started my new build too late :)

Oh well, will manage without it. But will miss this bonus damage.

Hm, means I should try to get Holy enchant or such somehow instead... but don't have free Arcana for it... damn.
You do now have a free Mythic though.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Knowing Owlcat it will be nerfed so hard you might as well delete it.

Oh look, you were right.

Getting 5d6 extra damage per enemy every two rounds is absolutely not worth spending a Mythic pick on.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Knowing Owlcat it will be nerfed so hard you might as well delete it.

Oh look, you were right.

Getting 5d6 extra damage per enemy every two rounds is absolutely not worth spending a Mythic pick on.
I don't know, for example Mythic Charge is basically once per combat. Leading strike is one attack per turn (and you need to be attacking same target with two different characters/mounts). Thundering strike is usually once per turn but sometimes it is not. Also some enemies are resistant to Sonic. That +2 damage for each turn you are attacking is basically useless. Ranged dudes got better picks for damage Mythic abilities, I never even got Elemental Barrage for my archers.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think as with Enduring it may just be about saving people from themselves. When people chase memes like this it’s no longer a single-player game.
You know what other memes people chase? Damage from weapons and effects from spells.

Let's save them from those, too.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I don't know, for example Mythic Charge is basically once per combat. Leading strike is one attack per turn. Thundering strike is usually once per turn but sometimes it is not. Also some enemies are resistant to Sonic

To me it sounds like Elemental Barrage now only gets proc'd by Spells with Elemental damage, so it's now sort of a Caster-exclusive Ability. Casters have way better shit to spend their Mythic picks on, like Abundant Casting, Favorite Metamagic, Impossible Domain, Ascendant Element, or even things like Archmage Armor and Enduring Spells if you wanna go a little wild etc.

You get 10 picks split between Mythic Abilities and Feats, and I don't see any scenario in which this version of Elemental Barrage warrants a place among those 10 picks compared to other choices for Casters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know, for example Mythic Charge is basically once per combat. Leading strike is one attack per turn. Thundering strike is usually once per turn but sometimes it is not. Also some enemies are resistant to Sonic

To me it sounds like Elemental Barrage now only gets proc'd by Spells with Elemental damage, so it's now sort of a Caster-exclusive Ability. Casters have way better shit to spend their Mythic picks on, like Abundant Casting, Favorite Metamagic, Impossible Domain, Ascendant Element, or even things like Archmage Armor and Enduring Spells if you wanna go a little wild etc.

You get 10 picks split between Mythic Abilities and Feats, and I don't see any scenario in which this version of Elemental Barrage warrants a place among those 10 picks compared to other choices for Casters.
Yea it was always hard to use it as caster, to use it you basically need to go Cold/Fire ray caster and pick two Ascendant Elements which makes it even worse. Better to pick more Favorite Metamagic and lower Bolster to 0, Empower to 1 and Maximize to 2

Actually wonder whether players will be widely upset over this change, possibly enough for them to revert it. Elemental Barrage wasn't some niche meme build that only 0.1% of players had tried or were aware about, it's something that a huge variety of builds used/abused to get a ton of easy damage.

A much more reasonable nerf would have been to limit it to once per attack, or even once per round, for weapon enchants.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yea it was always hard to use it as caster, to use it you basically need to go Cold/Fire ray caster and pick two Ascendant Elements which makes it even worse. Better to pick more Favorite Metamagic and lower Bolster to 0, Empower to 1 and Maximize to 2

My idea was to use those Bracers that turn all Elemental damage you do to Electric type. Stuff like Sirocco could work here. Throw a regular Sirocco to keep marking enemies with Fire damage, then toggle the Bracers on in the next round and throw another Sirocco that will now do Electricity damage instead of Fire, so EB should proc once per turn after that.

But this is still not worth a Mythic pick for a Caster, IMHO.

Desiderius

Patron

My idea was to use those Bracers that turn all Elemental damage you do to Electric type. Stuff like Sirocco could work here. Throw a regular Sirocco to keep marking enemies with Fire damage, then toggle the Bracers on in the next round and throw another Sirocco that will now do Electricity damage instead of Fire, so EB should proc once per turn after that.

Yeah it was always best on AoE and Persistent effects - Eldritch Archer with Cleaving Shot for instance. Burst of Nettles + Molten Orb FTW.

But it's a nonbo with Ascendant Element. It triggers even if the damage is prevented. An alternative way around resistances/immunities.

Elemental Barrage wasn't some niche meme build that only 0.1% of players had tried or were aware about, it's something that a huge variety of builds used/abused to get a ton of easy damage.
How does one paint oneself into a corner where this makes any sense at all? It's like you guys go to an exclusive dance club and all start doing the Electric Slide. Only .01% of players have tried anything of their own because they’re all too busy chasing whatever the latest inane fad is. Together. Which is kind of defeating the purpose. Single player game, remember?

It kills variety, it's not tons until tons are irrelevant, and people are completely oblivious to the massive opportunity costs of the "easy" damage they're trying to get, as if damage were the thing those "builds" were missing in the first place.

What's needed is recognizing that "builds" aren't a thing so people can start reading and learning how to use the spells and abilities their classes already have and accentuating those with their mythic abilities. EB is one weird trick whose time has come to die.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant

As far as I remember, the bracers only change the element on the initial round of casting. Any lingering effects default to the normal spell element.

Or maybe it was Ascendant Element that always worked like that; I could be remembering wrong.

Desiderius

Patron
God dammit now I need to redo my archer build
I’m happy that half-assed archetype* Eldritch Archer is only awesome now instead of hard to avoid playing.

* - all its spells and abilities are for melee and its still really good

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Only .01% of players have tried anything of their own because their all too busy chasing whatever the latest inane fad is. Together. Which is kind of defeating the purpose. Single player game, remember?

Players are a lot less to blame for this than Owlcat/Paizo.

If the game designers give players several options, where some of them are objectively useless garbage and others are objectively superior in every way, shape and form, no shit most players will go for the mechanically superior choice.

That's not on the players, that's just shitty design. Yeah, it's a single player game and therefore it doesn't need to be perfectly BALINCED :balance: , but when there are several options that are simply objectively worthless and don't even fulfill any sort of niche, that's, again, just really shitty design. Why would an average player go with that and get his teeth kicked in by game repeatedly when he can instead just go with the objectively far superior choice that scratches the Power Fantasy itch in the balls, which, let's be honest, is what Wrath of the Righteous is all about - no-bars, balls-to-the-walls, pedal-to-the-metal, dialing-it-up-to-11 Power Fantasy. I sure as shit ain't gonna play some goober that's happy with getting 5d6 extra damage per turn when there's a build out there that lets me do enough damage to kill 10 Balors in a single Round instead.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
As far as I remember, the bracers only change the element on the initial round of casting. Any lingering effects default to the normal spell element.

Or maybe it was Ascendant Element that always worked like that; I could be remembering wrong.

I'm going through Blackwater as we speak, will test and let you know. :M

Desiderius

Patron
If the game designers give players several options, where some of them are objectively useless garbage and others are objectively superior in every way, shape and form, no shit most players will go for the mechanically superior choice.
You're seeing what you're used to seeing instead of what is there. You're being anything but objective.

Like abused dogs still cringing from the (phantom) whip after you've found a new master.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hard to avoid playing
What the fuck this even means? You what, have no impulse control when you choose character class?
And besides, EA is one of those fiddly classes that could hit some heights in the second part of the game on MR 4+, but most of the time in early chapters will pale in comparison next to zero-imagination pure Fighter doing the same shooting thing.

I would get it if someone blamed Sohei for being bonkers - Rapid Shot working with his Flurry indeed seems to be a bug and he gains full pet and weapon training while not sacrificing anything useful for them.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I cannot find Elemental Barrage on D20. Which means it's a home brewed ability. Which means it can be anything, and building around it might be called... unwise.

On the other hand, most if not all of their Mythics are home brewed. Does it mean they should not be relied upon in builds?

Barbarian

Arcane
So I am about to start my first playthrough of this. What is the best mythic path content wise? Specially for a first playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom