Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

laclongquan

Arcane
The big fat slab of a sword in Japanese has a model, its name is Horse Slaying Blade I think. But it's made of wood instead of metal because otherwise it would be freaking expensive AND heavy. When the horse run toward you you can just slap the rider out of saddle OR beat the horse to death by that wooden slab. Because you can not cut shit with that for sure.

The Jap obsession with big slab of metal probabbly have something with how they lack so much metal. So a sword made from such big amount of weapon must be good, right? But that's how I guess.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The big fat slab of a sword in Japanese has a model, its name is Horse Slaying Blade I think. But it's made of wood instead of metal because otherwise it would be freaking expensive AND heavy. When the horse run toward you you can just slap the rider out of saddle OR beat the horse to death by that wooden slab. Because you can not cut shit with that for sure.

You’re talking about a zanbato, based on the Chinese zhanmadao. But they are made of metal, they just have a very long hilt, so long that some of them can be more like polearms than swords. There are apocryphal stories about infantrymen using these to kill the horse and rider in one blow, but in reality they were meant to kill the horse by cutting off a leg or two. Considering the kinds of horse nomads the Chinese were usually up against, the horses were more of a strategic threat than their riders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhanmadao

But swords like Amiri’s were clearly designed by men of little girth.

norolim

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Beta #4 - Oleg's Trading Post

We find Oleg's Trading Post with the Stag Lord's thugs already there giving Oleg and his sweet dove Svetlana a hard time... so we smack them around like the brutal heroes we are. Preparations for the inevitable retaliation (cue "A-Team" theme). First round of leveling up.

Oh man. I got a mention in the video! I must have done something right. :cool:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Honestly I find that barbarian holding that huge sword far more ridiculous than the shield.

It's a weeb thing, for some reason Japs are enamoured with the concept of giant slabs of metal acting as bona fide swords

That has more to do with real life guys like Miyamoto Musashi. That dude was a certified badass. Killed his first samurai in a duel at 13, and in the last duel he had at age 30, he beat the guy to death with an oar. And that was because his opponent was known for using a longsword so he needed something with reach.

A nodachi is ridiculously long, but it’s also fairly thin for its length. Nothing like the big fat metal slabs you see in Berserk or Final Fantasy. Not sure how the Japanese used their super long swords, but the Chinese had something similar that was a dedicated anti-cavalry weapon designed to cut a horse’s legs off.

Nodachi:

5182891245319b5678d2c66f4c465c29.png

Pretty sure the anime preference for huge, thick swords is less about the duel at Ganryu Island and more something Freudian. That or the giant slabs of metal are their approximation of a big ass western sword.

The Nodachi didn't inspire Cloud's sword in FF7, Miyamoto Musashi's use of an oar did.

Elex

Arbiter
in a world with magic huge sword are not retarded.
at least the magical one with limited weight and always sharp: longer weapon have better reach and if the sword is broad can also protect like a shield with the magical metal of awesomeness TM.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sephiroth's Masamune is a Nodachi. The Buster Sword is something else.

The problem with longer weapons is that even if you eliminate the weight the size still makes it unwieldly in most situations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem with longer weapons is that even if you eliminate the weight the size still makes it unwieldly in most situations.
Men, swords aren't that heavy. Plus if spears were the most common variety of weapons used, longer swords worked well enough against them.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
That's not a sword. That's just a hunk of metal. Also greatswords say hi.
Dunno if you've watched/read Berserk (if not, you should) but the lore behind it is that it's so heavy and big that it's mainly used as a blunt weapon rather than a slashing one

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I thought it wasn't even used at all. That some random king asked the blacksmith to forge him a sword able to slain a dragon, hence the name, and was then completely unusable because he actually honored the request, making it massively heavy.
Then there's good ol' guts who wielded longswords at age 7 who's like "why yeah i can feel it's a bit heavier" and casually wields it like np

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I stopped reading Berserk after they found Schierke. Where the demons at they teased at the very beginning and the eclipse??

Also the art direction for this seems a little off. You got very realistic looking portraits but very cartoony character models.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, to be fair, at least Guts doesn't "fence" or swing it like it weighted nothing. He mostly slams and rams with it, using gravity and force to his advantage.

The 3D series wasn't very good. But at least its more Berserk...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not a sword. That's just a hunk of metal. Also greatswords say hi.
Dunno if you've watched/read Berserk (if not, you should) but the lore behind it is that it's so heavy and big that it's mainly used as a blunt weapon rather than a slashing one
Been watching the series, it qualifies as non-weeb. Dude can cut a thing or two with it though.
Might get the comics later.
Honestly, he looks like he can lift it. Now compare that to a fag like Cloud.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Did you guys watch the new 3d one? I started it but it felt "wrong"
There's one thing I love in the weak ass 3d anime, it's the sound that the dragonslayer makes everytime guts waves it around.
Tings go CLUUUUUNK

A lot of people hate that, and I understand why. This is nothing like I would have imagined the sword, or any, to sound like, yet I fucking love it everytime I hear this insane, out-of-this-world heavy rusty metal sound.

Listen to that shit :lol:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
if you like any anime then you are weeb. Deal with it.

As for CGI Berserk... eh, it's alright. Like was said above: at least it's more Berserk. Obviously it is nothing compared to the original anime series in terms of quality.

The original's OST also blows it away and is sorely missed.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I watched the original quite young and it kinda blew me away because my experience with anime till then was limited and didn't expect it to go SO dark

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Was Cloud's Sword added to ToEE by Co8 or did it come by default? I honestly can't remember.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom