Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PrettyDeadman

I'd also trust some almost unknown Russians over Sawyer any day.
TrumpSmug.png

It also obviously still needs some work, but the fact that Codex is not completely shitting over it is a very good sign.

Almost unknown?! They've been doing high quality RPGs for almost as long as Black Isle Entertainment (first Rage of Mages was released in 1998).
Please educate yourself, sir!

imweasel

Almost unknown?! They've been doing high quality RPGs for almost as long as Black Isle Entertainment (first Rage of Mages was released in 1998).
They aren't very well known. At least not outside of Russia and maybe Europe.

Anyway, I don't doubt their abilities, which is why I backed the game. I am actually quite impressed with their alpha.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Infinitron,
the guys in the pathfinder thread seem to start suspecting about our relationship with obsiddian, go call the pillars of the eternity fans so we can distract them.
I will post something soon to start the diversion, don't worry
Answer to this PM if I need to go harder

Fairfax

Arcane
The disparity between the quality of writing in the IGN gameplay videos and in these updates is bizarre.

Chris Avellone must have written their entire prototype (who else could it have been?), but does he really have time to do that for an entire game? I have a feeling he might end up only writing high level design documents + full scripts for selected characters and they'll have to hire another English-speaking writer to do the rest.
KS updates are done by their community manager from KS comments. Why would he be also writing stuff inside the game?

Also first everyone complains MCA does not do enough for games he is part of and now that he does a lot now you again complain about how much he does.

When you put Chris Avellone at the beginning of your Kickstarter pitch video with narrative designer billing, and then he basically disappears with everything after that feeling as un-Avellonian as possible, that feels like a bait & switch. They couldn't find somebody who can write in the Pathfinder community? Every Kickstarter needs its Brandon Adler/Brother None type.

More clarity is needed. Fairfax Any chance you can ask MCA about this? What's his role in this game really going to be? Did he write the entire prototype? Are they going to hire more writers for the full game?
Sure, I'll see if he wants to answer a few questions about it.

imweasel

Infinitron MCA is writing the next KS update, and he thinks it might answer some of these questions. I'll wait for the update to see if it covers all of them.
Do you have a direct line to Avellone or are you sending him PMs on twitter or something? Just curious.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess this is old? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1911047
The Art of Map Design
Posted by Oleg

Dear Pathfinders,

The Stolen Lands cover a vast territory (35,000 square miles). On your journey, you will experience many fascinating tales and visit well over a hundred different locations.

We deliver our stories to you through these places, so we pay particular attention to our map design. Making each map is a unique task, which requires multiple team members to work together and use their specializations and skills. In today's update, we're going to show you how we create maps for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Note: For those of you not familiar with the Kingmaker Adventure Path, this update may contain minor spoilers.

Map Development
The process of map creation goes through several stages:

Preparation. Designers, writers, and artists decide what kind of location we need, and outline initial information about it.

For example, let's take the entrance to a hidden dwarven outpost, the location from the second part of the Adventure Path. From the adventure, we know that this place is not easy to find and occupied by trolls.

General plot and blockout of the gameplay area. Usually, when the work on a map begins, the story is already written, so our map designers have a general idea of what's going on with that map. First, they create the rough geometry of the location, and then they add approximate gameplay elements: we're placing enemies, adding blanks for dialogues, attaching scripted events, and placing traps and hidden items. This way, we can playtest the map at as early as possible and fix mistakes and problems, which would require more effort to change in the final version of the map. We use prototypes for almost everything in the development – for example, when we first started working on our game, all creatures shared the same model. So players could meet dogs, kobolds, ponies, and trolls, all of which looked like bandits.

The artists intended to make the outpost entrance scenic, which caused a few problems: scenic or not, the entrance had to be well-hidden. The blockout area had to be changed more than five times to fit the criteria.
6dc98df57d4c0e8729295b7012fcb9a3_original.jpg

The first topology. The scenic view was not spectacular enough.
381fbb3a3e01f1b08022abb86e95da77_original.jpg

In this version, the player starts near the outpost. There was not enough space for enemies.
4f5559632295c073a591edab708dab67_original.jpg

The final blockout version of the well-hidden and scenic dwarven outpost.

Adding the content. After our designers' playtests the rest of the crew gets to work: the artists create concepts and make models of map elements, the writers finalize the dialogue texts, the programmers add in the mechanics. This time is the most difficult in the process of map-creating. In this stage, it's especially important for the designer to make sure the design stays intact during these alterations.

We want to give you the full Golarion experience, and for that locations must express game atmosphere in every detail, so map design takes a lot of time and effort. In Owlcat Games map-decoration is a task for artists, not for designers, like in many other companies. This way the designers get more time to plot out the flow of the map and add gameplay content to the location.

d1b55b228675418ec40c850daf2967ee_original.jpg

After the blockout of the area is accepted, the artists make an overpaint of the area and start to create content.
926a29bfe91183b62bebbcc01ccb950f_original.jpg

According to the initial plan, a troll was supposed to stand on the wall and hurl rocks at the players. But in the final version of the map, the wall was moved a few meters, so the troll could no longer hit the party. To solve this, we adjusted the initial placement of the enemies.

Finalization. When the map content is ready, the designer syncs gameplay with the final artistic version of the location and passes it to the testing department. In this stage, we finalize navigation, settings for the fog of war and the rewards. The only thing remaining is to add the location to the global map.
0875440a5f0897b821aa18f9748679e2_original.gif

As a result, we've got a nice map with the entrance to the dwarven outpost - scenic, but well-hidden, populated with trolls and ready to be present to you with all its challenges and plot twists.

Tools
It would be impossible to create hundreds of maps in acceptable time without proper tools. The game is built using the Unity engine, and one of the Unity's strengths is its ability to expand tools. For the needs of our designers the programmers have created convenient editing programs to quickly let them fill the game with content and gameplay options:

DialogueEditor - the Editor for dialogue and special events. It helps us compose branched dialogues and fill them with events.
1f1b24cacdaba8b3728f8bd190dfece1_original.jpg

CutsceneEditor - the Editor for scripted scenes for various important in-game events and for making the maps more lively. This tool allows us to describe scripted scenes in short commands (e.g.: Go there -> Turn to the enemy -> Say the phrase)
57a9602b530dfc8fb5bcfd2e91b88365_original.gif

We made this picture as a demonstration of the editor; we are aware that casting arcane spells in heavy armor leads to occasional failures.

NodeEditor - Game Scripts Editor. It helps to describe interactive events, which happen on the map, in easily understandable visual schemes.

36b2f82c520c5cd1400e486690809393_original.jpg

NIKOLAY - It's a joke name for a specially programmed tool which creates new objects in the game (locations, quests, dialogues, cutscenes... ). Some our designers think of Nikolay as an actual colleague. Nikolay can create new objects faster than any designer, set their initial settings, and put them in the right folders.

Workspace - while working with the maps, our designers work with just a subset of the all game resources. To avoid constant searching for those resources over the entire project, they are making shortcuts to them and place them on the workspace. Each map has its own workspace or even several of them. Workspaces make editing the map much faster and more efficient.

f4221000b732d20d1deef45eeae3ad5a_original.jpg

Our maps tell stories. Through them, we strive to make your game experience fascinating and emotional.

What did you think of today's update? Got any feedback or questions for us? Let us know in the comments section, and we'll get back to you in no time!

28f272767ef1fb7fc783b586935ab4e4_original.png

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats

Last edited by a moderator:

Quantomas

Savant
Infinitron MCA is writing the next KS update, and he thinks it might answer some of these questions. I'll wait for the update to see if it covers all of them.
Got cold feet apparently, or changed to a better plan.

Well, we are a patient and persistent lot.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The dev-descriptions on the web-page have an endearing awkwardness to them:

LaPsB62.png

At least we know dese guys are some hueg nerds
What irritates me the most is the facial expression of that bearded guy with the glasses. He made that same face in the video also. He constantly looks like a bird just shit in his mouth.

I mean he works together with MCA. He should have a more joyful expression...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno, he looks like he could easily post in the Codex tbh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom