Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Efe

Erudite
for an addict its never enough

Mustawd

Was willig to donate a few hundred dollars to this. But RTwP? Fuck off.

WHY???
Because in the last couple of years we have had Divinity, W2,new Torment, Underail, AOD, dungeon rats, 3 shadowrun games, legends of eisenwald, 2 expedition games (vikings, conquistadors), 2 blackguard games. Dead state, 2 banner saga games. I m sure there is more. Is that now enough of turn based combat for you???

No.

EDIT: I still pledged because I like to see projects like this being made. I just don't get the RTwP fetish. It's broken and always be broken. It's a failed experiment. Time to move on to Turn-Based, which is the next step in evolution.

Mazisky

Magister
so much butthurt about the graphical style.

If this looked like Age of Decadence or Legend of Eisenwald it would be praised, despite looking worse.

The graphic is cartoony but nice and it fills perfectly a classical high fantasy isometric world.

Mazisky

Magister
it has very satured and vibrant colours, i don't know pathfinder setting but i guess it's standard high fantasy and not a grim one, so it feels right.

3243078-woods_combat01_3840x2160.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
It looks like someone remade BG/POE in World of Warcraft. It's pretty bleh, but hey, it's only grafix, not a dealbreaker.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
If it were DRM-free, I might even go for a boxed edition, but since it isn't, 25 bucks is all this will ever get from me after weighing the (presently apparent) pros and cons.

Anyway, looks like it will easily meet its base goal but most likely stay below a million dollars.

Quillon

Arcane
still radio silence from obsidian twitter

Yeah Obs should thank him & promote his game for being one of the first ones to spread the Deadfire figstarter leak.

Tho Obs prolly will at some point given their connection with the brand.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I pledged $140. I hope it's what they say it is. Also been playing a lot of Pathfinder Adventures Card Game on mobile, which I hear is now coming to Steam on the 15th. Looking forward to that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I pledged $140. I hope it's what they say it is. Also been playing a lot of Pathfinder Adventures Card Game on mobile, which I hear is now coming to Steam on the 15th. Looking forward to that.
Using some of that stolen turkish shekels to support russian comrades? :D

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Crusader Kings haha

Be happy if this is just a bit more advanced than the stronghold building in NWN2.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some Reddit Q&As.

About the adaptation of ruleset:

This decision wasn't made easily, it took a lot of research and experiments to come up with an optimal way to translate the table-top experience into a videogame as faithfully as possible, while also making it fun. It's also going to be highly customizable -- for example, there's going to be an option for auto-pausing combat at the beginning of each "turn", essentially making it quasi-turn-based.

While our game isn't a carbon copy of the turn-based table-top experience, we're trying to stay as close to the original as possible. The character sheet is mostly the same, with the same ability scores and skills (though we lumped together some less-used skills to avoid ranks waste). Alignment is in, it changes with your choices and affects the interactions. Combat is real-time with pause, but it has initiative, attacks of opportunity, sneak attacks, defensive fighting -- again, we're keeping as much as possible. Again, this isn't the same as turn-based, but more than "in name only" mechanics-wise. And story-wise, we're doing our best to make it a real trip to Golarion, not a generic swords-and-sorcery story.

About modding support:

Believe me, we know there's demand, and there were some heated discussions about it. But here's the problem. Do you want us to make it Neverwinter Nights-style, or Sword Coast Legends-style? The former is awesome, but its development costs a lot. The latter is cheaper, but nobody would like the result. We'd be happy to do it, but it's a question of resources, so we are not promising anything we're not sure we'll be able to deliver.

:M:

Please don't be Pillars of Eternity, please don't be Pillars of Eternity...

Dev here. I can promise you that it won't be Pillars of Eternity. Instead, it will be Pathfinder: Kingmaker! :)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
To be honest Evil Islands was realtime and had pause (but it wasn't a typical rtwp like bg where you still had turns which happened in realtime) and it is 100% superior to any western rpg.
Can't say that, but for me it's clarly the most enjoyable RTwP game from all, the only game where this system does not cause any complaints. Even Silent Storm have that, but not Evil Islands.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
is pathfinder pnp fun or the system is retarded like numenera

It's D&D 3.75, basically. Better core classes, expanded customization options, better balance (though it still retains the bonkers broken core of 3.5) and more interesting melee without Book of Nine Swords-ish melee spellcasting. Most prestige classes offer specialization options rather than raw power.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
is there something similar to a sword sage?
There's something similar to pretty much any fantasy trope you can imagine in Pathfinder by now. How much of that we'll see in Kingmaker is unknown. There's no way they're going to include every character option from Pathfinder, that's just way too much for a project of this scope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom