Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

It looks like Most of SJW rot is coming from Pathfinder Itself with Paizo meddling with developers restraining the worst of it, i wouldnt be surprised if Romances themselves were sacrifaced position, something to beat Paizo over head when they get too uppity.

Is the rpg playing community so overcrowded with degenerates and sodomites anyway? Or are they just very vocal and very active in modding(i.e: baldur's gate mods)?

Homossexuals are a small minority even in the progressive west. It astounds me that they need to be so overrepresented. Most mainstream rpgs these days have several queer npcs and romances.

Because there are straight players like to see same sex romance as well. Some male players play as female characters and romance female characters, same goes to the female players.

The devs don't just put same sex romances in the game to appeal to the gay people, it's actually quite the other way around. There is a reason why Asari is a bi-sexual all female race, instead of a bi-sexual all male race.
WTF is an 'all female' race? And why or how could a race that has a single sex be bi-sexual? There is a single sex....are they bi-species sexual? I don't understand.
Asari is an alien race from Mass Effect series that has only females. They can mate with almost every other races out there and have kids with them, no matter the gender of their lovers(and they don't give a shit about their genders as well). Also their kids will always be an Asari.

I see so they are not really 'bi-sexual', they will fuck a salamander or a squirrel and have an asari offspring. Sort of weird to call them 'bi-sexual', they are basically anything sexual

Analytic philosophy aside, I was snidely pointing out that 'however arbitrary they may be' is the more correct construction. Not to belittle Lacrymas's English (I myself am ESL, strictly speaking), but such mistakes tend to be rarer among native speakers. When they suck at writing (which most people do anyway), it's generally for different reasons.

shouldn't it be how ever instead of 'however'? That is what I thought u were pointing out at least..

When I see a project like Kentucky Route Zero or No Truce With The Furies, though obviously we can't yet judge NTWTF since it hasn't come out; games that show an obvious literary aspiration. We also have to seperate "pretty prose" and "etymological wordplay" with "good quest design that is informed by the area and level design". I much prefer having the latter over the former two; I'd much prefer a game with only 200 words which are all perfectly placed than one with 100,000 words which are all descriptors or explications.

One game that had "good writing" of recent KickStarter-warez was Shadowrun: Dragonfall, though not because it had pretty prose but rather because it had competently written characters with proper motivations and the story managed to convey stakes to the player even though it was a game about finding a talking dragon all while managing to clearly bring forth the setting, and having almost every single quest dovetail with the world created for the player. Certainly no witty wordplay to be found in the game but plenty of good video game writing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So something along the lines of the footlockers in the barracks will contain 2d8*10 GP worth of treasure (be it potions, gems, or other equipment) while minibosses and end-dungeon loot are fixed? About as good as we can get in this era of random loot decline.
Hm non-random loot might be one of the reasons it could flop imo, how was that done OS2?

Re writing, they should just get JarlFrank, maybe for the dlcs?

Yeah, I can provide god-tier RPG quest writing and a nice bit of controversy to raise awareness about the game :D

Also, non-random loot would more likely be one of the reasons it could be successful because random loot is usually shit, and non-random loot is where it's at. Random loot might be a thing that's done often these days because it's popular for some reason, but what people remember well about old games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Morrowind, which had hand-placed unique loot items, is finding cool items like the Flail of Ages or the Daedric Crescent, which required specific steps to get and were cool weapons with cool magic effects. Do a complex quest, get a cool weapon. Fully hand-crafted content which is sure to satisfy everyone.

Hand-placed > random EVERY time.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bataille people make typos.
It's not the point. Nobody is perfect, but having a non-native English speaker writing the game is a pretty serious concern.

So long as the story is good, I don't really mind. There are certain Japanese games I've played (that shall remain nameless) that have that particular Japanese sense of humor and tone. Same with the odd Russian film I've seen in badly written subtitles - overall, if it's incline, I'll be happy to throw my money at them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So something along the lines of the footlockers in the barracks will contain 2d8*10 GP worth of treasure (be it potions, gems, or other equipment) while minibosses and end-dungeon loot are fixed? About as good as we can get in this era of random loot decline.
Hm non-random loot might be one of the reasons it could flop imo, how was that done OS2?

Re writing, they should just get JarlFrank, maybe for the dlcs?

Yeah, I can provide god-tier RPG quest writing and a nice bit of controversy to raise awareness about the game :D

Also, non-random loot would more likely be one of the reasons it could be successful because random loot is usually shit, and non-random loot is where it's at. Random loot might be a thing that's done often these days because it's popular for some reason, but what people remember well about old games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Morrowind, which had hand-placed unique loot items, is finding cool items like the Flail of Ages or the Daedric Crescent, which required specific steps to get and were cool weapons with cool magic effects. Do a complex quest, get a cool weapon. Fully hand-crafted content which is sure to satisfy everyone.

Hand-placed > random EVERY time.
The best loots is combination of random and fixed. Fixed one is far better than just random. Just look at bard's tale 4,the loot is shit.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It looks like Most of SJW rot is coming from Pathfinder Itself with Paizo meddling with developers restraining the worst of it, i wouldnt be surprised if Romances themselves were sacrifaced position, something to beat Paizo over head when they get too uppity.

Is the rpg playing community so overcrowded with degenerates and sodomites anyway? Or are they just very vocal and very active in modding(i.e: baldur's gate mods)?

Homossexuals are a small minority even in the progressive west. It astounds me that they need to be so overrepresented. Most mainstream rpgs these days have several queer npcs and romances.

Because there are straight players like to see same sex romance as well. Some male players play as female characters and romance female characters, same goes to the female players.

The devs don't just put same sex romances in the game to appeal to the gay people, it's actually quite the other way around. There is a reason why Asari is a bi-sexual all female race, instead of a bi-sexual all male race.
WTF is an 'all female' race? And why or how could a race that has a single sex be bi-sexual? There is a single sex....are they bi-species sexual? I don't understand.
Asari is an alien race from Mass Effect series that has only females. They can mate with almost every other races out there and have kids with them, no matter the gender of their lovers(and they don't give a shit about their genders as well). Also their kids will always be an Asari.

I see so they are not really 'bi-sexual', they will fuck a salamander or a squirrel and have an asari offspring. Sort of weird to call them 'bi-sexual', they are basically anything sexual
Why someone would fuck asari though. They are just ugly humans.

Thonius

Arcane

Why someone would fuck asari though. They are just ugly humans.
It's a free real estate puss!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I really don't get why they had to try and squeeze in a whole city builder when they're trying to make their very first old school RPG. If they pull it off, great, but why bite off more than anyone asked of them?

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I really don't get why they had to try and squeeze in a whole city builder when they're trying to make their very first old school RPG. If they pull it off, great, but why bite off more than anyone asked of them?

Funding the Kingdom simulation was literally the base goal of the Kickstarter. That's what people's pledges went toward. The RPG part was already funded by My.com.

Expanding depth and richness of kingdom gameplay is so important to us that we’ve made it our initial goal for the Kickstarter. Every pledge made toward our initial funding target will result in more features, more content, and more polish for your growing nation.

And note what it says at the top of the funding breakdown:

aaaf8c597cc012602d83cb0e77deac27_original.png

1e59acfbc33a633ea69ad168f81cbe80_original.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
Sure, I understand that these are the kinds of things that get you crowdfunding. It was essentially one gigantic stretch goal. But we saw what that did for POE, for instance. Big stretch goals adding totally distinct gameplay systems - and in this case they're not CRPG veterans, either. I just hope it doesn't end up another "oh hey I got two games in one and both of them are half baked".

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you want to check how module does it it's PZO9032 Rivers Run Red, i.e. part 2 of the module. It has grid, little icons you could cut out of paper, Kingdom sheet, upgrades, Build Points, etc.

You also gain huge chunks of XP when your Kingdom levels up.

They just copied everything into the game I think.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with these kinds of things is always how the two systems interact and complement each other. It's kinda like the ship fighting PoE2, it's so totally divorced from everything else you do in terms of gameplay that it feels shoehorned in for no reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom