Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker details revealed at PaizoCon 2017 - Kickstarter confirmed, possibly in June

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
l3loodAngel You don't understand. I think he understands "genre" like.. hmmm.
It's like art.
As soon as anyone says "this is art", it is art. Whether you like it or not.

It is about as useful as a definition as "this is an RPG because I play a role hurr durr".
I do believe there is a distinction between those two. I am not against comparing products/services by a set parameters or qualities. However, calling a set of not connected and/or vaguely described qualities a genre is too much for me to stomach.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the meantime, I'll keep using the word 'genre' in the sense of I want to define a group of like things, rather than in the strictly taxonomic sense. Like most people do...
Completely arbitrary definitions that are used by exactly 1 person are useless.

You can ask for isometric games, and people will give you a list.
But if you ask for games in the isometric "genre", people will just look at you baffled.
And some might still give you that list because they assume you aren't really talking about a genre (like action/puzzle/RPG, things that aren't related at all to perspective).
Just how FPS is a genre, but only "FP" isn't.

Ulfhednar

Savant
You can keep specifying subgenres. Like Teenage slasher horror is a subgenre of slasher horror is a subgenre of horror is a subgenre of fiction. Usually people just drop the 'sub' part and talk about teenage slasher horror as a 'genre'. You can keep subdividing, so you can literally talk about any kind of prerequisites that you want to put on your genre. Why the fuck are we still talking about this?

Ulfhednar

Savant

Shooters are a genre.
First-Person shooters are a subgenre of shooters.
Military FPS are a subgenre of FPS
WWII Military FPS are a subgenre of Military FPS

RPGs are a genre.
cRPGs are a subgenre of RPGs.
Western cRPGs are a subgenre of cRPGs.
isometric Western cRPGs are a subgenre of Western cRPGs.
RTwP isometric Western cRPGs are a subgenre of isometric Western cRPGs.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Shooters are a genre.

RPGs are a genre.

And? This so fucked up from any perspective that it's completely pointless to talk about it. (explanation: The sample is pointless if there's only one product in it released during the last decade or even more.)

Ulfhednar

Savant

Shooters are a genre.

RPGs are a genre.

And? This so fucked up from any perspective that it's completely pointless to talk about it. (explanation: The sample is pointless if there's only one product in it released during the last decade or even more.)

That was exactly the point I was originally making - No game has been released in this genre for 15 years. Regardless of whether you like PoE or not, it is the big fish the Pathfinder: Kingmaker competes with, because both games are in the same (sub)genre.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Shooters are a genre.

RPGs are a genre.

That was exactly the point I was originally making - No game has been released in this genre for 15 years. Regardless of whether you like PoE or not, it is the big fish the Pathfinder: Kingmaker competes with, because both games are in the same (sub)genre.

You lack basic understanding, but keep fighting the good fight. Describing arbitrary qualities and saying that no games were released means nothing, because games are usually compared by their market size (target audience). Unless POE or some other tittle can fully saturate market or push competitors out it's position is completely irrelevant.

Let's imagine I created a Yuge car out of cardboard. Sadly this does not make me a big fish in big cardboard car market that everyone has to fear (other can do it better, probably cheaper etc.). It just makes me one off.

Additionally, POE players can play games from other companies and have fun. Sure Sawyer and Roguey will probably kick you out of their FB friends if they find out that a person played (or even worse enjoyed other products), but normaly a person can buy both, play both and enjoy both of the games. Therefore, saying that Russians are ballsy and they should postpone their release indefinitely just because POE exists is stupid. + the game can attract custmers from other genres making your point even less relevant.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Shooters are a genre.

RPGs are a genre.

This is where you lose it.
Genres are meant to be broad definitions, to more easily categorize something.
The red stuff is so far away from being broad that it makes no sense calling it a genre anymore.

Ulfhednar

Savant

Shooters are a genre.

RPGs are a genre.

The red stuff is so far away from being broad that it makes no sense calling it a genre anymore.

When people casually use the word 'genre', usually what they really mean is subgenre. But looks like you'll do well on your English 101 test.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Shooters are a genre.

RPGs are a genre.

When people casually use the word 'genre', usually what they really mean is subgenre. But looks like you'll do well on your English 101 test.
Yes I am also at fault here. I use "genre" to call blobbers. However, I would not say : Blobber, made by one man, for 20 years, with turtle transport, no release date - genre

Ulfhednar

Savant
You lack basic understanding, but keep fighting the good fight. Describing arbitrary qualities and saying that no games were released means nothing, because games are usually compared by their market size (target audience). Unless POE or some other tittle can fully saturate market or push competitors out it's position completely irrelevant.

Let's imagine I created a Yuge car out of cardboard. Sadly this does not make me a big fish in big cardboard car market that everyone has to fear (other can do it better, probably cheaper etc.). It just makes me one off.

Additionally, POE players can play games from other companies and have fun. Sure Sawyer and Roguey will probably kick you out of their FB friends if they find out that a person played (or even worse enjoyed other products), but normaly a person can buy both, play both and enjoy both of the games. Therefore, saying that Russians are ballsy and they should postpone their release indefinitely just because POE exists is stupid. + the game can attract custmers from other genres making your point even less relevant.

Both of these games are RTwP isometric Western cRPGs. That means they will compete for market share. That is literally the only observation that I was making with my earlier comments.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
You lack basic understanding, but keep fighting the good fight. Describing arbitrary qualities and saying that no games were released means nothing, because games are usually compared by their market size (target audience). Unless POE or some other tittle can fully saturate market or push competitors out it's position completely irrelevant.

Both of these games are RTwP isometric Western cRPGs. That means they will compete for market share. That is literally the only observation that I was making with my earlier comments.
No they won't. They are not mutually exclusive. They can compete a little bit, by people not having infinite finances (but even then 3 months are enough to get the money). Please read because you sorely need economic studies. And I though that this was intuitive...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Define rpg first.
Character skill > player skill. Player determines actions to take, character defines the outcome.
Stats & character building.
Player plays one or multiple roles that actually exist within the game world, are persistent and have a direct influence on gameplay.

It's actually pretty easy once you take all the fluff out.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Man are you losing your edge? You should have dumfucked and butthurted everyone that makes sense in this thread.
giphy.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ah Codex.. you never change. 2 new pages in this topic since yesterday.. I should have known it would be about nothing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Well, what can you do?
The game itself is pretty much "wait and see" at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom