Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ummm I couldn't take greater spell focus evocation at lvl 3 so I took spell penetration. It shows that I took the spell focus evocation feat, why couldn't I select greater?

Are the feats to improve summons worth it? Also, are the elemental feats worth it? If so, which one? Seems electricity and acid are popular.

What about taking spell focus feats for Necromancy?

Cael

Arcane
Ummm I couldn't take greater spell focus evocation at lvl 3 so I took spell penetration. It shows that I took the spell focus evocation feat, why couldn't I select greater?

Are the feats to improve summons worth it? Also, are the elemental feats worth it? If so, which one? Seems electricity and acid are popular.

Improved Initiative is often overlooked. So is Blind Fight. Both should be on most, if not all, of your characters you are expecting to fight ludicrous battles with.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Improved Initiative is often overlooked. So is Blind Fight. Both should be on most, if not all, of your characters you are expecting to fight ludicrous battles with.

How soon should they be taken?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
KainenMorden I recommend Color Spray. I used both Grease and Colorspray to get through that fight. The fight at Sycamore that annoyed me more was Baron Will o'Wisp....with Sorc levels who can cast shield. That was dirty, Owlcat.
Assuming you're not playing with the hardest difficulty setting, potion of resistance to electricity and wand of true strike should do most of the job here.
I did have resist energy memorized. I put that on Valerie. Regongar's class feature electrical resistance carried the day though. I did make liberal use of the True Strike wand. What made it harder was having only 1 remove fear memorized. I was reasonably prepared despite it being a gut punch. I still had to reload that one the fist time I think.
There’s little reason to fight him at all. That one is a lesson in situational awareness and threat management.

No reason not use use Resist, Communal when you can (and no reason not to wait until you get it at lvl 5) outside of duration which is irrelevant in this case.

Desiderius

Patron

Blind fight gives you Gaze Immunity and can also help at the end if chapter 3, but you may have access to Echolocation by then which serves a similar function.

Improved Initiative just makes everything easier, which you could also just turn down the difficulty to achieve. I like feats that increase enjoyment by bringing out the unique features of each class/party config. Only time I stack initiative is for unfair pissing contests.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What do you think of the higher difficulty levels? Do you feel like they are well balanced?

I mean, atleast the highest one is called unfair so you know what to expect.

Desiderius

Patron
What do you think of the higher difficulty levels? Do you feel like they are well balanced?

I think the fun is in learning the game. Start on normal and kick it up a notch when you've stopped having to learn. There are enough tools to make even Unfair easy but it takes awhile and a lot of enjoyment to get there.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I think the fun is in learning the game. Start on normal and kick it up a notch when you've stopped having to learn. There are enough tools to make even Unfair easy but it takes awhile and a lot of enjoyment to get there.

I'm just sticking to normal for this run for sure.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I did my first playthrough on normal with a few tweaked thing, like no complete dispel on rest and other minor adjustment.
It's recommended to have blind fight on everyone before the end of chapter 5. It's not mandatory, but save you a lot of headaches on chapter 6, especially back then, when echolocation did not work.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I did my first playthrough on normal with a few tweaked thing, like no complete dispel on rest and other minor adjustment.
It's recommended to have blind fight on everyone before the end of chapter 5. It's not mandatory, but save you a lot of headaches on chapter 6, especially back then, when echolocation did not work.
Should I take it on my sorc also?

Sarathiour

Cipher
As I said, no need to rush it, by the time you reach chapter 5, you should have most of the feat you really wanted. But yeah, I would take it.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Does Improved Initiative give a meaningful benefit in RTWP?
As long as you don't got your first action in rtwp, you're going to be considered flat-footed. You can obviously work around that against few enemy by just running back until your turn came, but it's still an issue against caster or shooter.

Desiderius

Patron
Does Improved Initiative give a meaningful benefit in RTWP?
As long as you don't got your first action in rtwp, you're going to be considered flat-footed. You can obviously work around that against few enemy by just running back until your turn came, but it's still an issue against caster or shooter.
You can dominate RTwP with Zerg Charges (which use the surprise round). If you get good enough at it you can end fights before they begin. With high initiative you then follow up with a full attack against enemies that are still flat-footed along with whatever debuffs your initial attack delivered.

Amiri 14 Pounce.jpg

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

Don't bother with them. The lazy retarded devs just stat bloated the enemies. You just end up shoehorning yourself into a few overpowered builds just to have a viable game. It is why many of the self-described so-called "experts" here don't like it when other people suggest other alternative fun builds. They are all geared towards Unfair difficulty and so only accept a few rigid builds as the "right" builds.

Cael

Arcane

Improved Initiative = as soon as possible
Blind Fight = before Chapter 5 like Sarathiour said.

Desiderius

Patron
Don't take Improved Initiative at all. Just makes the game easier without making it more interesting. Take Feats that develop each unique class/party strategy.

Desiderius

Patron

Don't bother with them. The lazy retarded devs just stat bloated the enemies. You just end up shoehorning yourself into a few overpowered builds just to have a viable game. It is why many of the self-described so-called "experts" here don't like it when other people suggest other alternative fun builds. They are all geared towards Unfair difficulty and so only accept a few rigid builds as the "right" builds.
Lol Cael living in his own personal fantasy world again. Last Unfair playthrough I posted was all single-classed companions. They’re good enough to beat any difficulty handily.

Last edited:
KainenMorden I recommend Color Spray. I used both Grease and Colorspray to get through that fight. The fight at Sycamore that annoyed me more was Baron Will o'Wisp....with Sorc levels who can cast shield. That was dirty, Owlcat.
Assuming you're not playing with the hardest difficulty setting, potion of resistance to electricity and wand of true strike should do most of the job here.
I did have resist energy memorized. I put that on Valerie. Regongar's class feature electrical resistance carried the day though. I did make liberal use of the True Strike wand. What made it harder was having only 1 remove fear memorized. I was reasonably prepared despite it being a gut punch. I still had to reload that one the fist time I think.
There’s little reason to fight him at all. That one is a lesson in situational awareness and threat management.

No reason not use use Resist, Communal when you can (and no reason not to wait until you get it at lvl 5) outside of duration which is irrelevant in this case.
It was clear that it was a trap from the blatant context clues (badly burned corpses), which is why I had resist energy memorized (L2). None of my characters were level 5 yet so I didn't have communal. I fought him again for the challenge. I wasn't imposing Ironman conditions on myself.

Desiderius

Patron
Tinman makes the game a lot more interesting and brings the other half of the strategies/abilities into play that would otherwise be ignored in reload world. No reason you cant hold off until Outflank and Resist, Communal to make it a fairer fight.

Desiderius You're being tiresome. I did everything reasonable given the context. Owlcat did a jerk DM move by giving a will-o'wisp the Shield spell. Absent that spell, I wouldn't have reloaded. Owlcat even acknowledges it, as the game autosaves when you selected the campfire to rest and trigger the event. I'm not complaining about it, because it's game. DMs can be jerks sometimes. I thought about it, accepted the challenge, and succeeded upon reload. This isn't a teaching moment.

Cael

Arcane
Desiderius You're being tiresome. I did everything reasonable given the context. Owlcat did a jerk DM move by giving a will-o'wisp the Shield spell. Absent that spell, I wouldn't have reloaded. Owlcat even acknowledges it, as the game autosaves when you selected the campfire to rest and trigger the event. I'm not complaining about it, because it's game. DMs can be jerks sometimes. I thought about it, accepted the challenge, and succeeded upon reload. This isn't a teaching moment.
Basically, the trick is to give your guys Resist Lightning and beat the idiot to death while you go get a tea. Yeah. Great challenge guys. Really makes people think.

giphy.gif

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Basically, the trick is to give your guys Resist Lightning and beat the idiot to death while you go get a tea. Yeah. Great challenge guys. Really makes people think.

giphy.gif

What it checks for is "I don't read hurr durr" players :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom