Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Hyperion

Arcane
Vaal Earthquake probably - hit the ground create a quake every .6s for 3s or something. Works with Less Duration, so it synergizes with regular EQ's supports, and people will play it over Sunder again.

There's a severe drought of Red Vaal gems, I hope they prioritize them.

Hyperion

Arcane
Looks like ProjectPT is officially back. Easily the most entertaining of the streamers. Sort of the last of the Old Guard of PoE players, and pulls no punches when GGG does stupid shit, or goes overboard with power creep. They actually put SSF mode in the game because of his efforts to run one around the time of Breach League, when it was strictly based on the honor system. This may be a joke, but I don't think a single person has openly criticized GGG when the 10 act thing came out for reusing the same 3 bosses over and over. It's basically the same thing as 3 difficulties, they just used the newer map designs for the zones. The only act where they really nailed a difference was 8 imo - 2 separate paths to take however you see fit that eventually converge, with a perfect end boss to fit the theme. It's just unfortunate they had to utilize Doedre, and Clarissa the way they did.

T. Reich

Arcane
Vaal ball lightning - covers entire screen in balls.
Vaal blade vortex - temporarily reverts to its original skill mechanics. Makes you cry afterwards.
Vaal ancestral protector - creates copies of itself that use flicker strike and don't have maximum range limitation.
Vaal flicker strike - creates copies of you that do the flicking in all directions around you. You stay in one place and rest your eyes for a couple of seconds, then you can go gather the loot that dropped.

P.S.: PT is a bro. The dark knight of PoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bestiary does not give q20. Vaaling a skill can only give you a lvl 21 OR a Vaal version but not both.
e6a5b10771.png
I guess I was wrong. I tried that bestiary option and always got non quality gems so I guess I assumed wrong.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think there's a low chance those gems come out with quality, so getting a 21/20 vaal gem seems to be possible but extremely rare. This is the only 21/20 vaal gem on poetrade, not sure how many more even exist, if there even are any more.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Flashback league starts today. I am going to play it and aim for lvl 85 with a SR Trickster. If I find the character and league fun I might play it until the league ends.
Character is going to be MoM and Acrobatics and stack a decent amount of mana regen and use a pseudo 5/6L in a helm with Blade Vortex to leech life from. First with Life Leech support but I would love to grab a Vitality Watcher's Eye that gives life gain on hit and use that to get even more life.

Damn PoE is a fine, but incredibly frustrating game. Good thing I finally caved in and made a SC character for the first time. Ripped so many times in flashback it's not even funny, granted most of it was me just being careless in maps with 2 pages long mod lists. However, one of the last was easily top 1 BS death i'v had so far. Entered an arena (where them bosses at) and got gang banged on the spot by perandus junkies, they spawned right there on the entrance, no time to react at all, couldn't even flame dash. If it was HC i'd uninstall right there.

Speaking of other frustrating shit, how about having 2 external sources being pretty much mandatory to get anywhere past like t5. Why wiki (or at least proper tooltips and less murky stats, like MORE vs INCREASED) and trading are not built in the game is beyond me.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's pretty transparent at this point it's part of the strategy for selling hats. Nobody gives a shit about hats that never get seen, the trading system forces you to see other players and their hideouts. A better trading system would also lessen the pain of the awful inventory management, which again, is an advantage they're selling for cash.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trading mostly works fine imo, but it's incredibly annoying when people don't answer your messages. It's ok if you don't have time for whatever reason, but can at least reply back and say so.

And yeah, I don't think they'll make any changes to it soon, since buying a premium stash (or two) and getting access to easy selling is the best reason to spend money on the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Trading mostly works fine imo, but it's incredibly annoying when people don't answer your messages. It's ok if you don't have time for whatever reason, but can at least reply back and say so.

And yeah, I don't think they'll make any changes to it soon, since buying a premium stash (or two) and getting access to easy selling is the best reason to spend money on the game.
I can tell you why I don't respond sometimes:
1. I am in middle of lab, zana daily, some boss battle, some other important moment.
2. It is middle of league already and you are pestering me for a few C item while I am having fun mapping.
3. I am in another league altogether and you are asking to buy something low value.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
1. I am in middle of lab, zana daily, some boss battle, some other important moment.
2. It is middle of league already and you are pestering me for a few C item while I am having fun mapping.
1: Take 3 seconds to reply "sorry busy". Asshole.
2: Remove your shit from sale if you don't want to sell it. Asshole.
:rpgcodex:

ArchAngel

Arcane
1: Take 3 seconds to reply "sorry busy". Asshole.
2: Remove your shit from sale if you don't want to sell it. Asshole.
:rpgcodex:
1. No it does not when you get these people too often
2. That takes too much time/effort. At this point I am not even sure why I am playing the league :D

Hyperion

Arcane
Looks like Bestiary is Talisman 2.0. Going the way of the Dodo. Should be an easy way to extract $ from some autist willing to drop $1,000, or whatever it costs to design a Div Card for the League-Specific unique sets. Seems like adding the menagerie and all of its accessories is too much of a development burden atm.

Sucks because while Bestiary is terrible as a league mechanic, it would have made for great expansion / mini-expansion content alongside a new league. It's basically what Essence should have been, since it's far more intrusive and I hate mechanics that don't intrude on our game. Choosing to do a challenge league mechanic shouldn't be optional, it's called a challenge for a reason. That said I'm enjoying Bestiary a bit more now that I'm doing Flashback and it's essentially a Nemesis mob on roids. Sucks while levelling I couldn't kill a Red mob with Craicic Presence and Hadal Dive because it also had Life Regen, Allies Regen and Shroud Walker and it was a perfect storm of bullshit, but it's fun seeing a new level of difficulty for once. Reminds me of the days when Xandro was unkillable for a lot of people.

. I am in middle of lab, zana daily, some boss battle, some other important moment.
If you can't type 'lab hold please,' you're either spastic or your build shouldn't be doing uber lab. Zana daily isn't important, you know that.
This is exactly the shitty elitist mentality that kills the fun of playing beyond a few weeks.
I am in another league altogether and you are asking to buy something low value.
Again, "sorry not in standard" will suffice.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Looks like Bestiary is Talisman 2.0. Going the way of the Dodo. Should be an easy way to extract $ from some autist willing to drop $1,000, or whatever it costs to design a Div Card for the League-Specific unique sets. Seems like adding the menagerie and all of its accessories is too much of a development burden atm.

Sucks because while Bestiary is terrible as a league mechanic, it would have made for great expansion / mini-expansion content alongside a new league. It's basically what Essence should have been, since it's far more intrusive and I hate mechanics that don't intrude on our game. Choosing to do a challenge league mechanic shouldn't be optional, it's called a challenge for a reason. That said I'm enjoying Bestiary a bit more now that I'm doing Flashback and it's essentially a Nemesis mob on roids. Sucks while levelling I couldn't kill a Red mob with Craicic Presence and Hadal Dive because it also had Life Regen, Allies Regen and Shroud Walker and it was a perfect storm of bullshit, but it's fun seeing a new level of difficulty for once. Reminds me of the days when Xandro was unkillable for a lot of people.

. I am in middle of lab, zana daily, some boss battle, some other important moment.
If you can't type 'lab hold please,' you're either spastic or your build shouldn't be doing uber lab. Zana daily isn't important, you know that.
This is exactly the shitty elitist mentality that kills the fun of playing beyond a few weeks.
I am in another league altogether and you are asking to buy something low value.
Again, "sorry not in standard" will suffice.
And I do that for a while. And then later you just don't care anymore.
I am selling stuff for my profit, not for others.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Bestiary wouldn't have made anything great because it was quite obviously rushed past the pre-production stage with no thought on how it would influence the game at large and no thought on the finer specifics of its implementation, which led to disastrously bad design decisions.
Qarl in the dev post quite aptly described the big dev-side reasons for canning Bestiary:
1) added major stress on the new and returning players.
2) a lot of additional work to keep the Bestiary mechanics up and running from the technical perspective.
3) a TON of additional work to keep the beastcrafting mechanics relevant and balanced, while simultaneously having to deal with the fact that they limit GGG's design space for new shit.

Essence is what essence is - a means to deterministically craft one specific mod, with clear limitations and easy-to-understand mechanics.

Beastcrafting was supposed to be a whole new layer of crafting to explore for the more experienced players... In a game where vast majority of players can't even get a proper grasp on how master-crafting works. On top of that, it's much less deterministic, overly complicated, and contains a number of OP mods that can be properly utilised by a very limited number of players possessing highly specific knowledge and high amount of resources (read: another gateway for the "rich get richer" scenario).

I'd be interested to see Bestiary to return in a MUCH simplified form, maybe.

I don't really see why the have to spit out a new league every couple of months, especially since most of them just get shelved after. I'd rather see them get through old leagues, rebalance, fix and spruce up what's already there and add it to the main game and only then start piling up new shit on top of it. In the meantime to keep people busy, run them Flashback-like events with ridiculous rulesets, rewards and what have you.

Leagues aside, the very basics like UI and some QoL could really use some work, some vanilla mechanics as well (as evident with their vaal rework for 3.3.0)

Balor

Arcane
Qarl in the dev post quite aptly described the big dev-side reasons for canning Bestiary:
1) added major stress on the new and returning players.
2) a lot of additional work to keep the Bestiary mechanics up and running from the technical perspective.
3) a TON of additional work to keep the beastcrafting mechanics relevant and balanced, while simultaneously having to deal with the fact that they limit GGG's design space for new shit.

Likely, the real reason is death threats from vegans :M.

Hyperion

Arcane
I don't really see why the have to spit out a new league every couple of months, especially since most of them just get shelved after. I'd rather see them get through old leagues, rebalance, fix and spruce up what's already there and add it to the main game and only then start piling up new shit on top of it. In the meantime to keep people busy, run them Flashback-like events with ridiculous rulesets, rewards and what have you.

Leagues aside, the very basics like UI and some QoL could really use some work, some vanilla mechanics as well (as evident with their vaal rework for 3.3.0)
You can't grab new players and hype game journos with, "Look! We fixed up old content!" They wanna see new shiny things. GGG is trying to fix things, but it's going to happen very slowly, and in ripples, not waves, while they also add new content.

Bestiary wouldn't have made anything great because it was quite obviously rushed past the pre-production stage with no thought on how it would influence the game at large and no thought on the finer specifics of its implementation, which led to disastrously bad design decisions.
I don't disagree here in that it was horribly implemented. But I liked the capture idea because it could provide an incentive to slow the fuck down with Reflect and Desync both gone. But the rewards aren't exactly there. I do believe this was meant to replace Masters since they are terribly outdated as well, and one of the many things in need of an overhaul, and should all be better tied into mapping somehow.

Essence is what essence is - a means to deterministically craft one specific mod, with clear limitations and easy-to-understand mechanics.
I don't have a problem with the Essences themselves, though they are a tad boring. Glorified Alc orbs most of the time. It's the Essence fights that piss me off. I don't particularly care for the fact that you need to activate a frozen monster. I do believe that Strongboxes suffer similarly as well - when Ambush league was first released it was acceptable. Being surrounded by 3 packs of enemies had potential to be very deadly at that point in the game's history. Now it's just an inconvenience if your skill doesn't damage 360 degrees.

T. Reich

Arcane
You can't grab new players and hype game journos with, "Look! We fixed up old content!" They wanna see new shiny things. GGG is trying to fix things, but it's going to happen very slowly, and in ripples, not waves, while they also add new content.

Except that you totally can, but the changes gotta be MAHSIVE. They've already done that shit before, and it was exciting. "100 old uniques totally remade! Some with new 3d art!", "A complete ascendancy overhaul! Dozens of new mechanics that will blow your mind!", "Remember prophecies? Well, we got some insane new shit there, including new fated items!", "A passive tree overhaul. It's YUGE!". Etc, etc.

I don't disagree here in that it was horribly implemented. But I liked the capture idea because it could provide an incentive to slow the fuck down with Reflect and Desync both gone. But the rewards aren't exactly there. I do believe this was meant to replace Masters since they are terribly outdated as well, and one of the many things in need of an overhaul, and should all be better tied into mapping somehow.
How are masters terribly outdated? Master-crafting is an extremely relevant (I'd dare even say essential) thing for any player, in any game mode, at any stage of the game.

I don't have a problem with the Essences themselves, though they are a tad boring. Glorified Alc orbs most of the time. It's the Essence fights that piss me off. I don't particularly care for the fact that you need to activate a frozen monster. I do believe that Strongboxes suffer similarly as well - when Ambush league was first released it was acceptable. Being surrounded by 3 packs of enemies had potential to be very deadly at that point in the game's history. Now it's just an inconvenience if your skill doesn't damage 360 degrees.
Ok, it's like your opinion, man, and it's fine. I don't feel strongly about the issue at all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I liked a few things about bestiary:
1. Access to some leveling gear (even if it was not as easy to get as it could have been)
2. Access to Horizon Orbs to make red tier mapping less painful
3. Red Beasts giving us a real fight (sometimes)
4. Made some cool uniques cheaper and more accessible
5. Some of the new uniques were useful and cool (and not completely OP like Abyss uniques)

I would like to see some of this stuff come back to the game in a less complicated form than Pokemon hunting and gathering using terrible mechanics (nets).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom