Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
I love the numbers and making builds in PoE. That is its best game so I don't feel anything positive about what you wrote. Game atm is better than ever.

Perkel

Arcane
I love the numbers and making builds in PoE. That is its best game so I don't feel anything positive about what you wrote. Game atm is better than ever.

That is how addiction works. You start from one gram and you are high as fuck then you end up snorting whole bowl of flour and it barely registers and then when you reach point where you can't add more to get that high you end up shooting yourself in head because you can't imagine living without that high.

When GGG will take out Abyss or Breach mechanics as standard part of league watch shitload of people complain about it and then in next league they will add even more piniatas.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That is how addiction works. You start from one gram and you are high as fuck then you end up snorting whole bowl of flour and it barely registers and then when you reach point where you can't add more to get that high you end up shooting yourself in head because you can't imagine living without that high.

When GGG will take out Abyss or Breach mechanics as standard part of league watch shitload of people complain about it and then in next league they will add even more piniatas.
I play slow anyways. I enjoy making builds. Don't care for reaching 100 or farming end bosses (never fought any of the Guardians or Uber Atziri or Vinktar or that something Council or Hall of grandmasters), that is the boring part of the game. During Breach only tried 3 elemental bosses. I leave all that to kids with too much time on their hands.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thing is, making "single target" meta and balancing around it... is hard. Unless you want a map with maybe 3 enemies in each room, each of them having Boss level status, or maybe a Rare with shit ton of modifiers. Do this and people will complain that only one or two build for each class is viable because now you need shit ton of single target damage to clear maps. Just making less enemies with a bit better status (and no truck damage) will not become a challenge at all due to how insanely high single target DPS actually are when you use it in the endgame (which are not effective only because everything is SWARMING you).

I do agree that AoE meta is tiring tho, nearly all new skills are AoE based. They need to balance out encounter in maps more with AoE and single bigger target thats not a boss in the end of the map.

T. Reich

Arcane
Let's face it - GGG can't manage the content in their game for shit.

They learned nothing with CoC, then they repeated the mistake with Breach, and then they made Legacy league, and now we got Abyss and War for the Atlas.

Perkel

Arcane
Thing is, making "single target" meta and balancing around it... is hard. Unless you want a map with maybe 3 enemies in each room, each of them having Boss level status, or maybe a Rare with shit ton of modifiers. Do this and people will complain that only one or two build for each class is viable because now you need shit ton of single target damage to clear maps. Just making less enemies with a bit better status (and no truck damage) will not become a challenge at all due to how insanely high single target DPS actually are when you use it in the endgame (which are not effective only because everything is SWARMING you).

I do agree that AoE meta is tiring tho, nearly all new skills are AoE based. They need to balance out encounter in maps more with AoE and single bigger target thats not a boss in the end of the map.

issue here is that you should get both small packs and larger ones with varied difficulty of mobs and best way would be to design this around areas much like Mud flats are sign of early good design where you had small packs of zombies and larger packs near quest items. This way both single target and AOE have their place. There will be a reason to have more than one skil and builds would be also a lot different instead of stacking into one skill everything since that skill is effective against anything.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
RIP. Got clipped by some of the adds, did the map 20 times already and never had issues with the boss, mods weren't even scary. Well, time to reroll in a few days, pushing has been kinda exhausting.

f42c1649a9.jpg

Zdzisiu

Arcane
new map stash tab looks awesome.

150points tho? guess the G in GGG stands for Greedy.
Well, it lets you clear a lot of other tabs that you might have used to store maps.

Still, pricey, will wait for discount. But that wont happen this year.

The thing that got me a bit disappointed was the fact that you don't get a toggle: Show only uncompleted maps, or something like that.

Also, the fact that only one "design" of maps fits one map tab is annoying. I have like 4 different "designs" of maps right now in standard.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The game feels slow if you run it on an underperforming laptop and the game freezes for 6 seconds each time a new pack appears.

If feels lightning fast if you run it on a gaming PC - just watch some Twitchers.

Gerrard

Arcane
Maybe if they stopped adding garbage like rain that cuts your FPS in half the game wouldn't underperform on laptops.

You know that the Xbox version doesn't have ground effects?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also it feels rather slow in general.
The only game of this genre I've seen play faster is Median XL. Any half decent build will clear monsters before you even see them, and run faster than projectiles, let alone the monsters themselves.

I should have mentioned that I only recently tried getting into the game. I was speaking from the perspective of a literal lvl 1 noob shitter. If the speed picks up at higher levels that's fine.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The only game of this genre I've seen play faster is Median XL. Any half decent build will clear monsters before you even see them, and run faster than projectiles, let alone the monsters themselves.

I should have mentioned that I only recently tried getting into the game. I was speaking from the perspective of a literal lvl 1 noob shitter. If the speed picks up at higher levels that's fine.
It is definitely not Diablo 3 at lvl 1 but thank RNGJesus it is also not Diablo 3 at end game.

T. Reich

Arcane

Here's a couple of oldies (not possible any more), but you bet your sweet ass people can go zoomzoom in the endgame if they're so inclined.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I wanna build a necro like that, was she effective at maps? Or corpse spells were good at higher levels?
The build was doing great in T10, and I expect it to work for T15 aswell. I was using a 3.5L for DD up until an hour before I ripped. Switching over to a 5L didn't really do anything and I regret switching because it lowered my singletarget DPS by only having Cremation in a 3L after the switch.
Short "guide":
-Desecrate+Fastercasting+Spellcascade for Corpses
-Detonate Dead+Ele Focus+Spell Echo for clearing. Used this 3L in a nyctas lantern for the +2 firegems and free firepen, though the firepen is fairly lowlevel. Detonate Dead has incredibly high basedamage now, and while it also scales with corpse-health I didn't really feel a difference between the +2gems 3L and a 5L. I was using inc. AoE as the third link for quite some time because you basically clear an entire screen with a lvl 20+ DD with so much increased Area, but at some point it just becomes overkill because you can already chain from one pack to another due to the huge AoE.
-Every other build I see that uses DD links it with spellcascade, which is a really bad idea in my opinion. You want to maximize the damage per corpse, instead of using them all up immediately since you will have to recast Desecrate more often and eventually you will run out of corpses while its still on cooldown. Not using cascade is a slight damage loss but that is off-set by not having to recast Desecrate all the time. Further links would be Firepen and then Chance to Ignite (29% more firedamage) and Controlled Destruction. Again I see a lot of builds not using CD because it does not affect the "6% of corpse health as additional base firedamage" part of DD, which is true, but increasing the basedamage is still worthwhile.
-2 Bone Offerings, one selfcast in a +2 minion helmet, one in a CWDT Setup. Get a Rathpith or Stone of Lazhwar for Spellblock, if I had found one the character would still be alive.
-Cremation for additional singletarget damage. Link it with Elefocus, Conc Effect and Controlled Destruction. Cremation triggers Elemental Overload for 40% more damage, and as long as you can keep the boss/rare in the area it greatly enhances your singletarget Damage, which is where the build suffers the most. Cremation does great damage but felt too clunky to use for clearing, using it in one of the new elder/shaper items for additional links would make this build not only great for clearing but an incredible bosskiller aswell.

Link to the character if you want to check out my tree/gear, not exactly optimized but I was pretty much just winging the entire build. Looking at it again I realize how utterly garbage my gear actually was, which is kinda hilarious because I felt extremely safe up until I died. Only thing I really needed was some spellblock but unfortunately the Stone of Lazhwar Prophecy didn't show up and there's no div card for either Stone or Rathpith.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Saark I've seen people recommend GMP with cremation. Supposedly each projectile is an instance of damage, and if so, then GMP would work for it just as well as it does for barrage. Also - What about immolate? Considering that your DD has a high chance of igniting the target, and your another link is already ele focus. Also, IIRC, a fire pen as 4th link would do best for bosses, and I'm not sure if conc effect even works for the projectile part of the spell (think ball lightning).

I think I'll be doing the VD/DD+cremation char as my second character. I was going to do the Doon str-stacking chieftain (dat leech + life regen + endurance charges and phat life), but the maxblock necro seems more solid. Also, given how overtuned the bosses are in comparison to trash mobs, I wonder if going 4L on VD/DD is more than enough for aoe clearing, and reserving the 5-6L for cremation to overcharge the single target is the way to go. I'm of this opinion after watching ZiggyD's yellow-tier elder run, where his cremation actually did all the heavy lifting, and VD's effectiveness was what of a wet fart.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Cremation definitely does most of the damage in a boss fight where heavy movement is involved while you can keep the boss relatively still. If you can keep spamming DD and Desecrate the damage is about the same, something which I noticed when fighting the stygian spire where I can basically stand still and spam DD.

I just checked GMP with Cremation and it only increases the amount of projectiles spewed out every interval, so instead of 4 it spits out 8 balls in short succession. Still a noticeable singletarget increase but due to the high less% I don't think its worthwhile compared to any other more% gem.
I was thinking about immolate on Cremation aswell, this is something one should easily be able to check out with PoB. Since it hits so rapidly and still has an 80% damage effectiveness, immolate should be the 5th or 6link on Cremation, skipping ele focus and using chance to ignite instead. On Detonate Dead the immolate wouldn't really do much because it simply scales better with more% due to the already extremely high basedamage. It might be worth using as a 6th link just for singletarget.

Ideally you want to run 2 6links in this build, either a +3 staff for detonate dead with empower to get it to level 27, or just using it in your chest while running cremation in an elder/shaper item. With the new reduced damage taken from critical strikes items you can easily run 3 or 4 reckless defense jewels to max block on a staff build while taking very little increased damage.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
I ran the numbers via PoB.

The best 4L for cremation in terms of damage-per-projectile-vs-shaper-res is immolate + fire pen + ele focus. AoE doesn't scale the projectile part, so conc effect is useless. Then it's controlled destruction, and I still assume that GPM is a comparable dps increase because it is such for barrage. Though the shaper flask will also do the trick (and extra aoe will also come in handy).

I took your maxblock necro concept there, and got me a 71/75 block 6,5k hp + 2k mana MoM, with 150k dps "5"L (horror essence helmet) DD tooltip (it doesn't include the corpse explosion part).
I'll post a PoB pastebin later, if you want to look at it. It definitely looks like a very solid endgame-capable build with relatively easily attainable non-SSF endgame gear.

Gerrard

Arcane
Is it just me, or is the drop rate for maps in this patch absolute garbage? I had 8 maps after killing Kitava and now I can't even get out of fucking T3 because nothing drops, not even from bosses. What the fuck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom