Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelike Path of Achra - dark fantasy roguelike now available in Early Access

Aemar

Arcane

Just bought this game. It's so good it deserves its own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Graphics immediately reminded me of Nalakkh/Natuk. How much of a game/story is there beyond being hopelessly beaten down or god-like?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
How much of a game/story is there beyond being hopelessly beaten down or god-like?
Gameplay itself is super simplistic. You can only do some basic actions like move or attack. No active abilites apart from three prayers you get from your chosen god.
Character building is there the things get interesting. After picking your race/class/god and starting the run you can put points into skills like "perform extra attack on step" and then into "Deal fire damage each time you attack" and then "Heal yourself each time you do fire damage" and etc.
And after investing enough into certain skills you can unlock a prestige class that can alter you gamestyle quite significantly. Like overpowered Blood-drinker that makes it so that all of your blood damage heals you or Mura that can summon mirrors that reflect half of the damage back at the attacker.
PathofAchrasrAncemrh.png

^This guy died after hitting the third mirror.
And that's not even mentioning all of the items you gan get.

The game is all about trying to figure out overpowered or fun builds. As for the story there is not much.
Path of Achra clearly got some lore but all you ever get is a vague poem at the beginning of the run. Dev also recently added a poem at the end of the run that changes depending on your chosen elements.
Edit: I forgot, you also get some cool flavour text before entering a new area that changes depending on what kind of area it is and what enemies are inside.

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
Like Serus said, it's mainly a buildfag game, and quite a good one at that; here is where the game really shines at. Streamlined, quick-combat, quintessential coffee break roguelike. The dev is constantly putting out updates and accepts suggestions.

My theory was confirmed, the dev greatly enjoys Illwinter's games, especially Conquest of Elysium.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I very strongly suggest not to use other people's builds. At least not before making two or three working builds on your own and advancing one or two "cycles". In this game it makes even less sense than in other games simply because one run is very short. There's no fear of "my build will turn to be unplayable in the middle of a (long) game". It's almost never a problem in reality but even less in PoA. Just try and retry and eventually - probably faster than me - you will start to get a feeling of what may work and what not.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
wanted to get it now but then ive noticed its EA. Should I jump on it or better wait?

Aemar

Arcane
You should probably wait, yet I'm not sure the dev has left that much room for improvement. Most likely this will be more or less the final product.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I very strongly suggest not to use other people's builds.
I would also like to add that it's not a bad idea to take a closer look at the avaliable prestige classes and start by building your character around their requirements.
All avaliable skills and prestige classes can be checked by pressing a "powers" button at the character creation screen.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2128270/view/4187861330577428192
At long last, the first "official" version of PoA. This has been a very new experience for me, not just the computer stuff -- I've never worked on and thought about a single project for 2+ years like this. I have a lot of appreciation for you all who helped me do it, and tried to describe it in this credits screen:
new stuff for version 1.0

• Added 8 more cycles, can now right click the cycle bar to go down in cycle
  • Added Arjana, culture, apply 1 Blind when attacked, +1 stacks of Blind applied by you
  • Added Myrmidon, class, +1 Inflex per 5 points of Dexterity, Block doubled against non-adjacent enemies, shield retaliates with block-scaling death damage
  • Added Apophis, religion, grants you strength every time you enter a level, causes you to inflict % max life astral damage to yourself whenever you are attacked
  • 4 new starting poems, from the tablet of the vizier-imp
  • 3 new tracks to round out the theme of the recent ones
  • Added a brief "credits" screen
other tweaks -- as always, ongoing

• Kull now grants +1 stacks of Evasion applied by you
  • Baghatar's Kilij now grants +2 physical damage per point of speed
  • Takhal 2nd prayer now deals 100 * (number of enemies) damage to yourself
  • Stormbringer changed, now instead gain charge on dealing ice (not freeze on lightning), removed on kill part, area damage now also triggers on divine intervention (previous freeze from lightning was causing an infinite combo involving crystal hand)
  • Crowform self-damage changed to flat 15
  • Zealot Hood heal reduced to 5% of max life
  • Ill Manica changed, now deals poison damage on attack, applies meditate to self on dealing poison damage (previous form had an infinite combo involving cobra staff)
  • Arja Spear ice damage changed to your total Block
  • Xyston now increased physical damage by 20% of your armor
  • Prayers no longer charge if you're dead
  • Eris no longer continuously gains upgrades in the Path of Dust
  • Skeleton is now treated as having a full bag in the Path of Dust

DoWhocares

Literate
HpeJfP9.jpeg

Don't be afraid of the goblin man. He's just here to eat some loot.

Get very very fast by eating artefacts and various other means, deal a lot of lightning and slashing damage on step, dance around your enemies while they just stand there, then move out of the way if they can even survive getting near you.

If you're a buildfag, dis gaem is a godsend. :5/5: /:5/5:

I have some confidence in winning a basic bitch run now. But any time I crank up the cycle, I get smashed. Total incline.

Sotomonte

Learned
The game is really good... now I pray that the developer follows in the footsteps of Realms of Antiquity or Nox Archaist and makes an RPG with exploration, turn-based combat, dungeons, cities, etc. with the same lore and using the same art.

:greatjob:

Cogemesiter

Literate
The demo is available on Steam, and if I’m not mistaken it’s just an earlier version of the game and that progress/ glory will carry over if you decide to buy the full game. So far I’ve only played a bit of the demo but it looks promising, kind of a lot of stuff to digest at first for such a simple game, but that’s not a bad thing imo.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I have not been aware that this game has it's own thread. It's a cool title, worthy of recommendation. I play it from time to time since last year and it always leaves me with this very special feeling that can be described as inspiration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom