Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Passageway of the Ancients is an upcoming RTwP fantasy RPG where you play a Dragonborn shapeshifter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game reminds me of those games that scammer used to make, where he reused the same demo, changed some of the graphics, renamed it and sold it as 5 different games. IIRC he used very similar sprites with the new ones in Knights of the Chalice 2 (they must come from the same online asset pool).

There was a thread about him. Infinitron probably remembers it.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-ellis-studios-tribute-thread.112724/

This game isn't that bad, though.

This game reminds me of those games that scammer used to make, where he reused the same demo, changed some of the graphics, renamed it and sold it as 5 different games. IIRC he used very similar sprites with the new ones in Knights of the Chalice 2 (they must come from the same online asset pool).

There was a thread about him. Infinitron probably remembers it.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-ellis-studios-tribute-thread.112724/

This game isn't that bad, though.
Passageway looks 100x better. Those look really bad because they obviously come from asset packs.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The game is in early stage and looks the part about the end of 90ies budget iso rpgs which has quite a charm to it.
Bunch of graphic whores itt.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The game is in early stage and looks the part about the end of 90ies budget iso rpgs which has quite a charm to it.
Bunch of graphic whores itt.

not a graphics whore at all, but then give me good gameplay

look at kotc 2 for example. no one is bitching about the presentation cuz the gameplay is great

but here combat is realtime trashmob mess and story sounds trash

but i like the original feautures tho

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
Roguey Said:They say 80s/90s but everything about this screams 00s. Like Avernum, Neverwinter Nights, Prelude to Darkness, and Oblivion were mixed together.
I totally agree with you; actually we were shooting for a look and feel the included the 80's 90's AND 2000's with an emphasis on the 2000's somehow the final marketing text got truncated to 80's and 90's. You have an excellent eye for graphics.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
luj1 said: but here combat is realtime trashmob mess and story sounds trash
Acrually the system is RTwP not real time and the story line comes from an accepted but never publiushed novel of mine from years ago. The combat is not optional but there are levels of difficulty associated with it.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's "accepted but never published" supposed to mean? Accepted by who?

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
eirinjas said: I can live with some jank - I'd give it a go, but they need to tighten up the lighting and shadows. Characters running around without casting shadows looks cheap. At least put a blob shadow under them for fuck sake.
We have been debating this issue of putting shadows on our characters and monsters for a long time. It sorts out that for iso games in particular you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Your direct honest pleading in favor of including at least some sort of
shadow has tipped the scale we are going to add shadows to our characters and monsters. I now belkieve that you are right and a tip of the hat to ye.

Last edited:

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
Axel_am said: What's "accepted but never published" supposed to mean? Accepted by who?
I understand your mistrust. Actually I only referenced the novel as a way of reassuring everyone that we have a very detailed story in Passageway of the Ancients. I certainly was very hesitant to admit to something that was "almost" an accomplishment and therefore by some methods of interpretation a complete failure. Frankly the period in my life that contained the novel was very chaotic and painful where I had a lot of balls in the air so to speak and droped too many. I backed out before either party signed the final contract as I was accepted into graduate school at the same time and made a career choice. The publisher was Lancer Books out of NY, NY. They were willing to take a chance on me because they were active with Michael Moorcock at that time and thought I had a similar vibe. Plus my novel was to be the first in a series and they liked that I had these ideas somewhat fleshed out. But the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. So I suggest you download the free demo when it becomes available on Steam and pay particular attention to the opening cut scenes and the quantums from the Tazvox located in the family chapel and shrine. These should assuage any lingering incredulity you might have.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Was wondering what the wording meant, didn't intend to project mistrust.

I don't expect stellar writing from videos games. Writing for books and for games are two different things. And sometimes the writing isn't what's most important - even in CRPGs. Whatever the case I wish you good luck with the project. I'll keep an eye on it.

Combat seems like a bit of a pile up is really the only issue that I can tell. Having said that some people love that kind of close quarters hack n slash.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
Axel_am said: Writing for books and for games are two different things.
I couldn't agree with you more! Imagine my shock as I slowly realized that huge sections of the novel had no linear translation into the game story line and had to be reworked completely. But the heart and soul of the story survived. That is why I directed your attention to specific portions of the game demo to see the original writing intact
Axel_am said:I don't expect stellar writing from videos game.
Perhaps we should. I have certainly bent every effort to do so in this game. In the early days of role playing ala ChainMail magazine story was eight tenths of the experience. Good wordsmithing in written or auditory form is a very powerful way to energize the intellectual, emotional and spiritual vectors that carry the lifeblood of the story line.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
The Sloth sleeps said: Combat seems like a bit of a pile up is really the only issue that I can tell.
I can see how you would get that impression legitimately from ads about the game. Actually when playing the real game you can zoom in fairly close and with the trusty pause feature you can manage these conflicts brilliantly and with a fair amount of detail.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like what he's doing. There's a sense of style to it. Besides him replying to everyone speaks volumes.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
Why are they making bad graphics on purpose?
Perhaps you can find the answer to your question Milady in the other thread devoted to Passageway of the Ancients on this site. If you have trouble finding it let me know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom