Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox Question.

kris

Arcane
KazikluBey said:
Ladonna said:
Still waiting on EU3. I am not convinced that it won't need 500 patches until its a challenging and finished product, going off past performances.
Well, their switch to the new engine was a godsend - not a single crash after two/three weeks of playing, and the amount of patches have gone down for every game since EU2. I don't really think EU3 will go past version 1.3, and Paradox are working on patch 1.2 now. It is essentially finished already - especially compared to the state their earlier games were shipped in.

As for the AI. The AI for fighting battles is better than a fully patched EU2, except it still sucks in naval battles. some other parts of the AI makes the game less challenging though. Diplomacy especially is to easy and the AI can declare suicidal wars.

Fez

Erudite
The AI was what I was hoping would turn out to be improved most this time around. It's so crucial to this kind of game.

Jed

Cipher
Goddamn this game is complicated. I've run through the tutorial and read most of the manual, but this makes SMAC look simple. Or maybe I'm just to the TB4X paradigm ...

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Eh, are you talking about EU2? It's practically kindergarten compared to HoI 2 and Victoria.

Fez

Erudite
I think EU is on a par with HOI, at least I didn't notice it needing any more work to get to grips with it. If you are familiar with one it doesn't take too long to understand the other.

Jed

Cipher
KazikluBey said:
Eh, are you talking about EU2? It's practically kindergarten compared to HoI 2 and Victoria.
I'll keep plugging away at it for a while then, but I'm starting to get the feeling tha I may have to return to SMAC and AoW:SM with my strategy tail between my legs ...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started out with HoI2: Doomsday, and then got myself EU2. Both are quite funners, but HoI2 seemed the easier to access of the two. In the beginning it might seem a bit overwhelming, but after a few minutes into the game you'll get the hang of it quickly. It got some nice stuff with politics and espionage, and fighting at the Russian front with the German Wehrmacht is just too much fun. Especially when France suddenly declares war on you while your whole army is fighting in the east. Priceless.

Jed

Cipher
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm just not sure where to take it. The appeal was how wide open the game seems, but now that I'm there, I'm not sure what to do with all that freedom. Again, I've read most of the manual and played through the tutorial, so I know how to do most things, but I'm not sure *what* to do. What should my in-game priorities be? Or is it different for each player? Any suggestions or helpful advice is welcome.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
<a href="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61">"Role-playing" and AAR writing</a> is quite common. But yes, it depends on the player. You make your own goals. Usually I try to roughly follow history, except I do better, of course. It's really not that difficult to take over the world if you put yourself to it after you get the hang of things, so setting other goals than purely military ones will help getting enjoyment out of EU2.

Also, did you get AGCEEP that I linked to? It adds a TON of historical and alternative historical events that help make the game more interesting.

Fez

Erudite
I think starting with a small nation would be the best thing to do in EU, despite the assumption that it would be easier with a large and powerful nation. Less things to worry about and keep track of.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Fez said:
I think starting with a small nation would be the best thing to do in EU, despite the assumption that it would be easier with a large and powerful nation. Less things to worry about and keep track of.

Going along with the "less things to worry about" line, start with a landlocked power. That way you don't have to worry about building and maintaining a navy.

Jed

Cipher
KazikluBey said:
<a href="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61">"Role-playing" and AAR writing</a> is quite common. But yes, it depends on the player. You make your own goals. Usually I try to roughly follow history, except I do better, of course. It's really not that difficult to take over the world if you put yourself to it after you get the hang of things, so setting other goals than purely military ones will help getting enjoyment out of EU2.
Er, pardon my ignorance, but what is AAR? Beyond setting my own goals, for example, having Korea conquer Japan, I'm still not sure how to prioritize the actual in-game elements. Anyone care to give me a really short summary?
Also, did you get AGCEEP that I linked to? It adds a TON of historical and alternative historical events that help make the game more interesting.
Sounds interesting, but I usually like to get the hang of a game in it's basic form before I use any mods. So if I get into the game, I will definitely check AGCEEP out. Thanks for the information.

Fez

Erudite
AAR=After Action Report. A story of how things are going so far or went in your last game, often with screenshots. Some of them can be entertaining and others can be good for getting a few tips.

The most important thing to start with is keeping your country stable and solvent without runaway inflation. If the economy is taking a nose dive and half the country is ready for an uprising it doesn't do any good to invade the neighbours. Aim for attacking the smallest states with few or weak allies first and be friends with some others so you have backing.

Amasius

Augur
JarlFrank said:
fighting at the Russian front with the German Wehrmacht is just too much fun. Especially when France suddenly declares war on you while your whole army is fighting in the east. Priceless.
Please explain how you attacked the Commies without being at war with the Allies. Haven't you conquered Poland?

Fez

Erudite
One of the more interesting things to happen in HOI2 is the Unholy Alliance of USSR and Germany. It can completely change the usual trends of the game.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Try Hearts of Irony 2/Doomsday. Best game ever(in the genré)! Patch it up and you're ready to run.

There's even a patch to let it run for ever but from 1936-1953 or something is enough for most humans. It takes you about 20 hours + to complete it at max speed without pausing against a computer and about 60 hours against other players.

Great Grand-Strategy at all fronts. Technology developement on all sectors from nuclear - Industry - Artillery - tanks - naval - air - land - tactics - etc. You can improove your national provinces with loads of different facilities and change your nations politics in what ever you've always dreamed of or had nightmares of living in.
Combat is quite good aswell. Almost like Europea Universals which most people above me have talked about already.

There are a few bad things though. You can't upgrade ships, you can't actually coup nations (the option exists but it can never (almost) be used) and diplomacy really won't get you anywhere where the fun is. But in overall it's a good game to buy and it can be re-played many times not to mention it also has almost 20 different pure combat scenarios with special conditions and events.

Fez

Erudite
If you want to go diplomacy-heavy you can aim for producing lots of spare money and use that to fund your efforts. I've seen some interesting AAR using similar methods.

Staging a coup is difficult, but you need to spend time to influence them over to your thinking to get more supporters for your government type. How useful it is depends on whether this suits your playing style or not. Some folks think the diplomacy part is the bee's knees in this game.

It's worth trying it out even if you've played the other Paradox series.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
True but if you already aren't a very powerfull nation such as the U.K. , Germany or the USSR then you're pretty much stuck without warfare if you want to have fun. In multiplayer you'd be over-run.

I guess you could go peacefull through some sort of Scandinavian alliance (easily defended if defence is needed) and try to build your nation into something lovely without a war you start but doing that for 20 hours without a single shot being fired just isn't me.

Hmm about the coup. Well I don't actually have Doomsday (been playing the Demo and didn't find it adding to much to my existing HoI 2) but I've influenced countless nations to 200 and still only been stuck with a 0% chance to coup. I also have a bloody hard time convincing nations to change their policies when I'm influencing others though the computer seems to be able to do so to me just recently when I played Republican Spain. EDIT: Which makes me think that perhaps dissent has a part to do in the whole influencing policy/coup attempting part.

I think I once managed in the Doomsday Demo to get my coup % chance to some percentage but I don't remember how. I guess maybe that's one of the reasons I stuck to the warfare -mostly- tactic.

What I find the HARDEST to do though is the "Military Access" part. I basicly declare wars when in an alliance just to bloody use my allies ports to reach the actual nation I want to invade. I've never yet managed to gain military access without conquering the nation first and then demanding it. Any tips on this? Is it easier to do in Doomsday perhaps thanks to the expanded diplomatic options?

Please explain how you attacked the Commies without being at war with the Allies. Haven't you conquered Poland?

Atack Poland before 1939 ~ :)
Ofcourse playing multiplayer is going to get your ass roasted if you do this for the Soviet Union will crush you as a bug! The USSR will crush you as a bug in any scenario except a historical one which people anyway tend to brake away from :P

But yea, back to Singleplayer. Just invade before Poland is part of the UK/France alliance, don't keep your border open (for the computer notices that) and have good relations with the both countries. Playing less than furiously aggressive helps also. After this is done re-arm/stock and then invade the USSR.

Fez

Erudite
I'm fairly sure there were lots of tweaks with the expansions and patches, so it could be a case of it being more difficult for your version then. I know I have had military access as USA (troops through UK and France), Germany (through Italy, Romania and some others) and the UK (France and some others). I can remember sending troops across allies territory without needing to declare war on them.

Are you up to date on all the patches for it? Maybe this was an early bug?

Pegultagol

Erudite
I was a total novice to Paradox games as well, when I attempted to play EU III (downloaded the game from Gamers Gate). As many already mentioned, you set your own goals, but the accomplishments are usually loosely reflected on your prestige score.

For me, playing a marginal country like Korea meant that essentially I played as if I was not trying to contend for world conquest. Instead, I went for expanding trade in the region and colonizing. But If you were to invade some country, what I found the most important was having a solid economy and comparable technological footing in land and naval technology. It also helps to forge a military alliance with another country in the region. Failing that, you could set the goal over a longer period of time; by gobbling up smaller outlying countries, you could strengthen the nation in that fashion before going up against a larger foe.

In the beginning of the game, most of far east nations do not have forts, which means you can just occupy whatever territory you invade during war without going into siege mode. So my recommendation is to build all calvary army in the beginning, since they do have almost an unfair edge over infantry due to some bug in the game, but because they are also more mobile. If you have a militarily talented ruler, by all means make a general out of him and use him in ensuing battles; it will literally mean the difference between total victory or disastrous loss. Try to diffuse your forces and make incursions into as many territories as you can, while trying to avoid their big main army. To match the size of a bigger opponent, simply take a loan and build as many mercenary units as you can. Also grab war taxes by all means.

On the diplomatic front, I think it may be useful to use spies to induce revolts and help destabilize the country as much as possible. Also It is also good to pick a national idea that gives extra manpower as well. Inflation as Fez mentioned is very very dangerous, so watch out when trying to earn as much income as possible per month.

After I finished one protracted game, I found EU III addictive and rewarding. For the second game I played England, and the experience was even more rewarding and different, playing as a major colonial power. If you like strategy I think you won't be disappointed, what with the different mods and support from Paradox in the future for a more balanced game.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Yup Fez you can do that but it doesn't mean you have military access to the lot. In other words as soon as you leave the alliance you cannot be in that nation. One more thing that is restricted is that you can't rebase ships in peacetimes in allied ports through nothing more than the alliance treaty which you can with a military access treaty.

But maybe you did gain http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... essdz6.jpg

]Anyway to me this shit is impossible to get, no matter what I do or how I play. Maybe it's because I'm quite belligrent all the time? I'll test that aswell but if not then I give up on this issue heh.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Gah now I'm in war with the UK, France, Canada and all their puppets, U.S. and just was in war with Brazil.

Ouchie :( Actually I am holding small parts of Africa, the spanish mainland, half of denmark and the rest of Scandinavia and my Soviet brothers together with thier brave but dumb mongolian cavalary are riding through Poland. Though I'm dead anyway since I can't hold any of my fronts for long.

What I was going to say Is that I did try it at the start of the game...asking for military access with an ally with 0 beligrence and 150+ in relations and it didnt work :(

The Dude

Liturgist
One suggestion for EU2 could be starting with one of the Irish provinces and go for a united Ireland, then freewheeling it from there.

Firstly, Ireland is out of the way of most of the big boys. Secondly, if they take interest, it's easily defendable. Thirdly, it's location makes it a good candidate for some colonial ventures in the Americas. You'll probably be in for some hard times from the English, but with some smart diplomacy and manouvering you should be ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom