Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox FAIL

3 weeks later no patch to make the game playable.

The tech system is screwed.

The map is screwed.

wanted to play Greece and half HoI2's island provinces have disappeared. They are crucial for strategy. Corfu is attached to the mainland. Half the provinces are completely empty of any resources. All necessary tech is at 1918 levels. Even Yugoslavia has about 10-15 starting levels in Naval Engineering, but Greece has zero.

Then checked Italy 1941 scenario, some of their starting tech is at 1918 level.

Still better than me, ten clicks on the world map and the game crashes.

Tech you start with doesn't change at fucking all no matter the year, I noticed.

kris

Arcane
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
Half the provinces are completely empty of any resources.

that is working as designed and historical as far as the simulation goes. The start up tech is screwed, like I believe I mentioned in some other thread. Patch will most likely be out next week as said.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Give it a year. Playing paradox games as soon as they come out, what a silly idea. We admire them for their innovation and courage in making truly niche games, not the buglessness of their products.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sqeecoo said:
Give it a year. Playing paradox games as soon as they come out, what a silly idea. We admire them for their innovation and courage in making truly niche games, not the buglessness of their products.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Don't buy PC games the day they're released. It's best to wait for 3-6 months, or maybe till it's in the bargain bin.

That's so stupid I literally lost my fucking sight

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
-'What's up man'
-'Yeah I was thinking, PC games'
-'What about them'
-'Better to wait a couple of month before buying them, right?'
-'Why's that'
-'Well, to wait for patches and so on'
-'Sounds a bit incovenient, but you're probably right'
*guy comes in*
-'THATS SO STUPID GUYS JESUS YOU ARE MORONS'

:?:

Destroid

Arcane
Console games are not much better than PC in this regard since they got the internet, it's just tiny studios like Paradox that don't do QA that have such horrible problems.

Pretty much a catch-22. If you buy most PC games straight away, especially the games that are more indepth, they are full of bugs. If you get used to this and buy them when they have been patched, then the company doesn't get the returns it wants and stops making those games thinking nobody wants them.

The worst part however is that patches seem to be drying up over time, even with companies that used to be known for excellent after market service. Paradox has been moving towards the buy-a-patch system with their addons, which is why I have refused to buy their games new since they started this with HOI2.

I did buy EU3 when it first came out, saw that they were not going to do anything with it until you paid for an addon and sold it on ebay. Last year, I got hold of EU3 complete, in the box with a manual, 10euro.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Did the tutorial work for you? (For the record, I played EU II before, and I'm not a newb in regards to it, just wanted to skim through the new stuff, like f.e. influencing cardinals)
I read on the internet you need the 3.2 BETA patch (lol) for the tutorial to work, or otherwise download the EU III demo (which is what I did). Is this a common issue, or is it maybe linked to versions of the game that ship with wooden legs, grog and cutlasses (YARR!)?

GeneralSamov said:
Did the tutorial work for you? (For the record, I played EU II before, and I'm not a newb in regards to it, just wanted to skim through the new stuff, like f.e. influencing cardinals)
I read on the internet you need the 3.2 BETA patch (lol) for the tutorial to work, or otherwise download the EU III demo (which is what I did). Is this a common issue, or is it maybe linked to versions of the game that ship with wooden legs, grog and cutlasses (YARR!)?

I never bothered with the tutorial to be honest. Being a Victoria veteran, I would have to have my head checked if I needed a tute for EU3. Best not to bother with it and learn as you play with the manual for reference.

deranged

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Don't buy PC games the day they're released. It's best to wait for 3-6 months, or maybe till it's in the bargain bin.

That's so stupid I literally lost my fucking sight

I'll have to agree on this.

I mean what is this? Adapt to the new - era of buggy-but-soon-to-fix-products ?

Bash them ...

Annonchinil

Scholar
I am itching for a good civ game and can't decide between EUIII and Crusader Kings. I know what makes Crusader Kings unique but don't know what makes EUIII stand out.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
I buy the game when it comes out and then I play the game I bought 3 months ago.

Rinse and repeat.

Now if its some high-budget shit I don't really give a fuck, those have way better price drops than a studio like Paradox.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Blackadder said:
GeneralSamov said:

I never bothered with the tutorial to be honest. Being a Victoria veteran, I would have to have my head checked if I needed a tute for EU3. Best not to bother with it and learn as you play with the manual for reference.

Fuck, if you can figure Vicky out without manual, there is no game that can beat you. But rue, it IS an awful Catch-22 situation. Which other studio produces anything similar to what Paradox does? Battlefront? Yeah, maybe but in a micro scale. And P'dox hasn't devolved into Bioware territory yet.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
GarfunkeL said:
Fuck, if you can figure Vicky out without manual, there is no game that can beat you. But rue, it IS an awful Catch-22 situation. Which other studio produces anything similar to what Paradox does? Battlefront? Yeah, maybe but in a micro scale. And P'dox hasn't devolved into Bioware territory yet.

Isn't this the same as it ever was with Paradox though? Major bugs on release, followed by mass hysteria on their forums, followed by a few patches which resolve most of the bugs and which perform 'squeaky wheel gets the oil' alterations to gameplay.

Personally, I load up a couple of games, bug report, and then put them away until patches are released. By patch 3, things are playable. Solves the problem of supporting the developer and also losing patience with the fuckwitted bugs which infest Paradox games. I guess I make allowances for a developer which has a staff of only 9 people working on their flagship title.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
To an extent, yes but seems that HoI3 had even more than usual. Especially the memory-leak thingy is quite incomprehensible in its ability to evade beta testers attention.

Oh what am I writing? I'll be buying HoI3 the instant I get back home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom