Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Paradise Cracked hated by Just Adventure

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Buka Entertainment; Paradise Cracked

<a href=http://www.justadventure.com>Just Adventure</a> (who do RPG's too, I guess) have <a href=http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Paradise_Cracked/ParadiseCracked.shtm>reviewed Paradise Cracked</a>. They really disliked it and their final score is a disappointing <b>D</b>. Silly letter grades... They knock the bad interface and constantly TB (even outside of combat) gameplay.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Let me start by saying that, buried underneath the baffling miasma of its controls is what may very well be a good game, yearning to get out. While the story is not wildly original, it’s a solid, dystopian, Blade-Runnery, William Gibson-influenced cyberpunk story set in a dark, grimy city full of lots of crime and not much law.
<br>
<br>
The main character (though you eventually can control a party) is called “Hacker.” Guess what he does! Anyway, the game begins with him on the run from various dark and dangerous factions and with only one helpful bit of advice: go see Sam Lee in Chinatown. He might have something for you.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
What's really sad is this game may be another example of the Harbinger syndrome: a game that fails for its gameplay and design rather than its setting--but try telling that to the marketing guys who determine that <i>Non-fantasy = No moniez!!!!11</i>

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
The review itself is piss-poor. Jagged Alliance is *not* tb the entire time, only in combat. At least he didn't claim JA was made by BIS or BIO.

The interface sucks, the reviewer claims...and that's it. What about it sucks? Why is it cumbersome? What is non-intutive?

So he doesn't like that the game is tb the whole time - understandable. I could see this being irritating in some games, but it is not neccesarily a deal killer for me. Without more information I can't say that it works or doesn't - all the reviewer says is that it doesn't. How the hell am I to draw a conclusion from a review (which folks is at least part of the point of their existence) w/o more information than "I didn't like this game"?

Admittedly the TB the whole time thing is a wonky design decision, but I still have hope for this game. TB combat in a BladeRunner/Gibsonian future with RPG - lite ingredients and a good story still sounds good to me. Any one play it yet? Cuz this review just isn't too helpful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom