Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pantheon - (Brad "EQ" McQuaid's new MMO)

ADL

Prophet
It still doesn't have a unique or consistent aesthetic almost 9 years since the Kickstarter. I know it wasn't successfully funded but that was the first time most people saw the game. Pretty sure the vast majority of the environment assets are store bought and don't really fit together. The shaders and lighting look like default Unity (notoriously bad) and there's no color grading in any of the footage they've shown in recent years. The only reason the game looks any better than the 2016 footage is because they keep upgrading Unity.

Codex Year of the Donut
Here's a quick glimpse into the future of how this game will be covered by 'influencers' who have little to no nostalgia for EQ or that era of MMORPG. Can't disagree. The game's ugly as sin despite them spending almost a decade on it and the combat animations are atrocious and lack any sense of visceral impact. Just two characters in an ugly environment waving stat sticks around.

At least Monsters&Memories has the sense to realize what it is, who it's for and they're able to pump out content like crazy.

I fucking hate this retard, I have no idea why he's so popular

Here's a quick glimpse into the future of how this game will be covered by 'influencers' who have little to no nostalgia for EQ or that era of MMORPG. Can't disagree. The game's ugly as sin despite them spending almost a decade on it and the combat animations are atrocious and lack any sense of visceral impact. Just two characters in an ugly environment waving stat sticks around.

At least Monsters&Memories has the sense to realize what it is, who it's for and they're able to pump out content like crazy.

Asmongoloid is a philistine who's opinion on anything should never be trusted. Never give him attention again.

Codex Year of the Donut
trying to watch the video with the retard

I just wanted to point out that I like the graphics. No, they don't look "mobile" to me, if I were to think of a mobile game it would be in some cheap cartoony style ironically copying blizzard in their heyday. The main issue is that there seems to be different artstyles(? hard to tell?) which is not good.
he keeps talking about the combat as if he's some ADHD zoomer who wants to play rockhero with their keyboard for "combat rotations"
it's obvious he hates rpgs because the idea of a complex system seems to anger him, thinks anything related to RPGs is "time wasting", "annoying", and "unnecessary"
touching on the idea above, the idea of a mount being more than a consumable that makes you go faster seems to upset him. Gets angered by the idea of having to bond with a mount and it dying being a possibility.

can't bother watching any further, vindicated when I called him a retard

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It still doesn't have a unique or consistent aesthetic almost 9 years since the Kickstarter. I know it wasn't successfully funded but that was the first time most people saw the game. Pretty sure the vast majority of the environment assets are store bought and don't really fit together. The shaders and lighting look like default Unity (notoriously bad) and there's no color grading in any of the footage they've shown in recent years. The only reason the game looks any better than the 2016 footage is because they keep upgrading Unity.
It does, go watch the zillion hours of boring long videos of the groups playing in various dungeons when they showcased the game. The trash video you are linking is footage from tech people explaining new design tools they have and stuff. It is pieced together by that disgusting looking hillbilly piece of shit to make an interesting video for his following of trash kids.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The main shill for this game made a video responding to the pathetic retard. Its cringe to be certain but has its moments.

He has got to get rid of all of his stupid fucking puppets. It is the worst thing to ever happen to his channel. His videos were much better a few short years ago.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The main shill for this game made a video responding to the pathetic retard. Its cringe to be certain but has its moments.

He has got to get rid of all of his stupid fucking puppets. It is the worst thing to ever happen to his channel. His videos were much better a few short years ago.

Ever since he went fulltime youtube (lol) he has went all in on the puppeteering.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The puppets are both cringe and horrifying. Ugliest puppets I've ever seen. He needs to stop rapping too.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Youtube generation posting youtube videos..

On topic, mounts in MMOs aren't mounts in RPGs.
Go faster=avoid=shortcuts=auto-run=one way or another some dev's (eventually) taking riding into account when designing zones.
You may use mounts differently in single players, but try an MMO where mounting's allowed everywhere and see what habits arise out of it ^^
It's bad.
They had a good reason for promising they'd never be included.

And since i'm at it, never mentioned this :)
When Brad first announced "pets for everybody!", i saw it coming, but posted anyway to explain it, even answered the retards wondering what's wrong about pets for everybody.
No swearing, nothing ban-worthy, nothing edgy; me explaining.
Brad joins in the thread, calls me a troll and a disruptor or something, lol (that's me, with 300 or 500 bucks pledge btw.. poor baby got butthurt someone didn't share his vision)
So i fucked off for good.

To his credit, he actually emailed me, apologising and asking me to come back.
So there's that for him.
Just don't blame the 'new' team, this was on the wall a long time ago, Brad still alive and kicking.

And yeah, it IS a bad sign.
Worse yet? Pets for everyone, collecting them, taming them + XP/level daily caps, don't forget that part*.
It's dead Jim. Well, has been.
Excluding the one asperger here that positively refuses to see sense, i think the rest can grasp why.
Like i said, time's moved on, the audience just isn't the same anymore; the fucking planet isn't the same anymore, no novelty to ride on; only meta.
Can't do another EQ on meta.
So.. you do something that may turn a profit. Something for the altered, contemporary audience; ergo, not an EQ; kinda straightforward i'd think.

* Also if they manage to make a Unity MMO that doesn't have engine-related issues, well.. they'll sure be the first, lol
Are you still free to do whatever you want in Unity? Or must the pink-haired lesbians approve of first?
I remember reading something about the change of ownership. Former EA Jew overlord with hardcore capitalist mentality.. empowering """alt""" thinking tri-gender subhumans.. that live in resetera.. can't make this shit up.
Incidentally, they really should hire Sawyer at some point, he'd fit right in. Sure hope he's kept his bicycle.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game doesn't seem to be in a playable state at the moment.

So, it will be at least another 3 years until the game is released. They seem to have got an investment for a couple million dollars though, so they have a few years to develop the game now I suppose. I can't see $2 million dollars lasting longer than 2 years though.

They've started down the path of selling the company. I wonder who the investor is, but if I had to guess it's probably an investment group that wants to monetize the game more heavily.

Each time they need money they will sell off the company until they are no longer in charge of the game company's business model.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
A bit of news / videos came out recently. It's almost hard to believe just how shitty this game looks. Watching a couple of these yt guys going all in on it though is rather funny. I wonder what levels of coping they are dealing with.

grimace

Arcane
Would it be more feasible to run a private Everquest server and then mod it?

What was the name of that Ultima Online fan server that created an entirely new map? That was fun.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah this looks bad. They should be nearly done by now but it's obvious how far off it is.

I played lots of modded EQ servers. They are fun for a while.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
To be fair, if you see this and think looks, or more importantly, how you don't like its looks?
You're not the intended audience. AKA well that you don't.
Barring the obvious, ie why the fuck would you bother posting about something's that's very deliberately not for you?
But hey, we must have opinions. It's our right(tm) after all.

The problem(s) with this game have nothing to do with graphics, or aesthetics.
They've everything to do with how certain core aspects were re-conceived in the process, how others were misunderstood (because they were presented in altogether a wrong manner) and how what soul it could ever have had rested within one man, now deceased.
Still, may it all change for the better i guess; sure wish it for them all.

* In equal fairness however, i cannot blame them for where they were semi-secretly -still are- slowly taking it. Or not taking it :)
Said it before in this very thread, it's a different landscape. Accept or stare at wall, reminiscing happily days long since gone.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Well I can only speak for myself but when I say this game "looks" like shit, I most certainly don't only mean the graphics. As for target audience? I am an old school EQ player who has tried to find the magic of EQ in every MMO I have ever played since. I never found that. I most certainly won't be finding it with this game, from the "looks" of it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yea I was on board with this game until recently but it's starting to get on my nerves. They tried to maintain the suspense for a decade in the hope that it will convince some investor to back them. They told us multiple times they have an "angel investor" etc. But clearly they have been bullshitting everyone for all this time. They had people playing the game years ago, but then it was revealed that it was all hardcoded and not real. Then they said they have managed to setup Unity to stream the world as you travel so it's now open world and zoneless. And they showed they have created good tools for creating zones etc.

But clearly they haven't done anything with any of that yet. They barely have anything to show and the real footage of the game looks terrible. Even ignoring the graphics the last video looked like such bad world design etc that it disgusted me. Also the way the auto attacks worked etc, this is not even close to EQ's responsiveness and that's 24 years old... Graphics were always allowed to be low budget for this game because the audience is flexible in that way, but there is a limit. Low tech graphics can be good if there is a good art style that pulls it off but this game doesn't have that. It looks indie ish and janky.

I think after all these years they really should have been able to show off some impressive things by this point but they clearly have been going nowhere. Also people should be patient for smaller teams to make quality games, but if a game ever hits the 10 year mark then something is fucked up. It's just too long. And it's one thing to do a graphics pass in the last stages to bring things up to standard, but if the entire game is so dated and low tech looking, that becomes a huge job.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That said hearing they hired Steve Clover was music to my ears. But still, this is all too little, too late, too damn slow.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Well I can only speak for myself but when I say this game "looks" like shit, I most certainly don't only mean the graphics. As for target audience? I am an old school EQ player who has tried to find the magic of EQ in every MMO I have ever played since. I never found that. I most certainly won't be finding it with this game, from the "looks" of it.
Monsters & Memories is our only hope :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom