Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol. "And we predict there will be absolutely no issues with our new server structure, and no problem whatsoever handling the sudden player load for a ridiculously hyped F2P game with a huge existing player base. Because when has that ever happened, e.g. with every MMO ever including World of fucking Warcraft?"

Hobknobling

Learned
They made some promises they couldn't keep when they launched Overwatch so this is why they are doing the hard reset. It is more about the monetization change than trying to salvage a game that was not even that good to begin with.

Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan has confirmed in a developer update video that all new heroes and maps released post-launch will be freely available to all players:

We have ideas for additional maps and heroes that we’d like to add to the game, so we’ve thought about this and decided the best way to add them to the game is to patch them in as free content and not as DLC.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-loses-its-lead-hero-designer

Overwatch 2 loses its lead hero designer​

By Tyler Colp
published about 4 hours ago
Geoff Goodman helped design and balance heroes since the game's inception.

WgTMI83.png

(Image credit: Activision Blizzard)

The lead hero designer behind Overwatch's huge roster of characters—and the ones to come in its upcoming sequel—has left Blizzard, the company confirmed to PC Gamer.

Geoff Goodman "made the decision to leave Blizzard earlier this year," a Blizzard spokesperson said. The last public appearance by Goodman was in a group interview (opens in new tab) with press in June.

Blizzard provided a statement about Goodman's departure:

"We thank Geoff for his many years of service at Blizzard and wish him all the best. His ability to bring to life Overwatch’s diverse hero roster through gameplay has been incredible, and the mark he’s left on the Warcraft and Overwatch teams will be felt for years to come."

Goodman's history with Overwatch goes all the way back to before it was known as Overwatch, when the team was still working on project Titan. Titan was cancelled and resurrected (opens in new tab) into the team-based hero shooter that launched in 2016. Outside of the game's former director Jeff Kaplan, who left Blizzard in 2021 (opens in new tab), Goodman was one of the few faces of Overwatch, frequently asked to discuss balance changes and new heroes in interviews and events.

Goodman helped design major reworks for Doomfist and Orisa, new heroes Sojourn (opens in new tab) and Junker Queen (opens in new tab), and likely had a hand in several of the game's upcoming heroes, including new support hero Kiriko (opens in new tab).

Although no reason was given for why Goodman's left, it comes after a series of high-profile Blizzard departures in the buildup and aftermath of the lawsuit (opens in new tab) filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing for workplace harassment and discrimination last year. Overwatch's executive producer Chacko Sonny left the company in 2021 (opens in new tab) and producer Tracy Kennedy left last September (opens in new tab).

Speaking of the turmoil at Blizzard in a group interview with PC Gamer in April, Goodman said the team made sure everyone was in a "good spot," and felt "safe," before returning to work on the game. "It seems to be everyone's, you know, much happier now and things are going forward. But I think it's it's still there and still lingers. It's definitely a morale hit."

Overwatch 2's October free-to-play launch is imminent, but some fans of the original game are dismayed by what will change in the sequel. The game recently detailed its seasonal battle pass model (opens in new tab) and how it will lock each new hero behind tier 55 (out of 80) of the free track. In a group interview with PC Gamer last week, Overwatch general manager Walter Kong said that "heroes are the single most engaging content that we have in the game," and that "it seemed to be a very strong fit to put those heroes into our new engagement systems."

Overwatch 2 will launch and replace the original game (opens in new tab) on October 4.

kek

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
I heard that Overwatch 2 will have a dumbfuck grindy Battle Pass system which you have to grind for hours in a day for a few weeks. So I've read some comments on forums to see what people think about it. Some people says Battle Pass is expensive, some other says grinding time is slow, some of them defend Blizzard...

But no one asks "If I paid for something, why do I have to grind to earn it; If I have to grind for something, why the fuck am I pay for it?!"

Someone tried to grind Battle Pass and his experience is : "…we have played the game for an average of two hours per day for about 10 days at the time of this writing. This includes 83 games played and 44 wins so far. After all this, we’re only at tier 26 in the Battle Pass. This is with a 20% XP boost from owning the premium Battle Pass."

(I don't wanna give the source link, since it's braindead gamerant.com and I don't wanna risk your PC's to have AIDS)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The battlepass is a last minute ditch effort to both have a playerbase by going f2p and still be profitable, no surprise it’s a grindy broken mess.

Lol at those suckers who bought overwatch 2 because they were told until very recently they needed to buy the upgrade in order to access the new content only for them to pull a switcharoo and make it f2p so all you get in your 40 dollar purchase is some skins that will be obsolete on day 2, battlepass for season 1 and some gold coins (which if you are a vet player, you are already swimming in).

Gerrard

Arcane
Last month Namco released an Overwatch (1) clone with Gundams in an effort to push it out before OW2 comes out, but they will kill it with their shitty monetary practices.

Derringer

Prophet
Last month Namco released an Overwatch (1) clone with Gundams in an effort to push it out before OW2 comes out, but they will kill it with their shitty monetary practices.

They have to be doing it on purpose, they've done it several times in a row.

Noct

Literate
The state of Overwatch is just sad to me. My wife and I used to play together all the time, but neither of us can stand to play it anymore. I fell off when Brigitte came out, she quit when role queue made half the roster unplayable. Don't think I've ever seen a game go through such a meteoric rise and crash so quickly.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I heard that Overwatch 2 will have a dumbfuck grindy Battle Pass system which you have to grind for hours in a day for a few weeks. So I've read some comments on forums to see what people think about it. Some people says Battle Pass is expensive, some other says grinding time is slow, some of them defend Blizzard...

But no one asks "If I paid for something, why do I have to grind to earn it; If I have to grind for something, why the fuck am I pay for it?!"

Someone tried to grind Battle Pass and his experience is : "…we have played the game for an average of two hours per day for about 10 days at the time of this writing. This includes 83 games played and 44 wins so far. After all this, we’re only at tier 26 in the Battle Pass. This is with a 20% XP boost from owning the premium Battle Pass."

(I don't wanna give the source link, since it's braindead gamerant.com and I don't wanna risk your PC's to have AIDS)
If it's like any other battle pass system ever, they are grindy because you can get them for free using in-game currency.

Noct

Literate
How the fuck are they even justifying this? And for that matter, why bother? They already have all your personal info if you use a card to pay. Is this even legal in all jurisdictions?

Noct

Literate
This draconian nonsense over preventing hurt fee-fees is beyond stupid when you can mute people's text and voice.
It's pretty obvious that these people are ideologically driven. Like you said, removing annoying people from your game experience is trivial. The only practical reason anyone would want to exert this kind of control is if they were making an active effort to oust certain people from the community. One might say they're trying to marginalize them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom