Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

karfhud

Augur
Played a couple of matches yesterday and so far, so good. Everything comes together visually, gameplay's fun, I quickly found a character I enjoyed the most and star. In terms the skill-cap - someone mentioned here that there's no room for improvement in Overwatch - I can't really agree, a) you have headshots, b) like in MOBAs, your skill stems from knowing other champions inside-out and being able to anticipate their abilities. Ultimates aren't really "press-to-win", you can counter/dodge all of them in one way or another...

... but here's the downside that I noticed so far. In regular MOBAs, you know, isometric view, you have a good overview of what's going on around you. In Overwatch it's a bit chaotic, since you're basically playing a MOBA in first person.

And I really hope they disable mid-game champion switching in the release, or at least create a mode with this feature absent.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Played it a bit yesterday. It's not great, but not as bad as I thought it would be either. Like others have said, it's nice in short bursts. Played a bit of Mercy, and it was really frustrating because the players on my team were terrible. No sense healing/boosting someone when you know they will charge headlong into the Bastion turret in a second anyway. So I switched to D.VA and everything was better. You can use her boost just before ultimate, and the mecha will keep boosting forward after you eject. Took out 2 bastions, a thorbjorn, a widow and a zenyatta in one go. "Nerf this!" indeed.

Would probably get this for 10 jewroes if blizz drops the price

Last edited:
It's naive to think Blizzard will drop the price on this anytime soon. They still charge 20$ for Diablo 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's naive to think Blizzard will drop the price on this anytime soon. They still charge 20$ for Diablo 2.
Diablo 3 is regularly sold for $10 on sale now. And more to the point it doesn't (currently) have microtransactions whereas Overwatch does. They'll drop the price when they see people aren't rushing to pay $40 for a shitty TF2 clone where you'll have to buy newly introduced heroes.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
40$? It's 60 Euro. So yeah... I'm not buying that anytime soon.

EDIT: oh, that's origin version. So... skins cost 20$/Euro? Shit.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, they link you to the Origin edition by default so I constantly see people thinking that base game costs more than it actually does.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The ingame skins in the beta aren't buyable at least. you get them from loot crates. No ingame store yet. But we all know it's coming. Most of them are recolors, but each character also has a skin that modifies the base models (in a couple of colour variations).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game's pretty fun, but $60 seems way too much given the price of its competitors. I got TF2 in the Orange Box which was a lot of great games for $20 -- and TF2 is now free. And CS:GO routinely goes for about $8 in the sales.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Got a "medium" fun 10 hours but I am done. Would have been very upset if I actually bought it full price. Its fine with friends but an absolutely terrible solo experience, which for the amount of money they are asking is hilariously stupid. TF2 is leagues better in terms of design (or was, I haven't played in a long time).

In Overwatch, after you get a feel for the characters, 80% of the match is team composition so there is almost no swing. I think only 1 in 4 games I've played alone weren't stomps. At least it finishes very quickly, especially during stomps, I've won and lost games under 2 minutes sometimes.

The absence of any sort of solo queue means that you will encounter full or near full teams with common frequency which contributes further to the silly stomps.

The game only clicked when my full team met another full team and we both knew what we were doing thus resulting in some really tight matches that went down to the wire.

TL DR

Mediocre but polished team game that needs another 5 people to be enjoyable. Price tag is stupidly high.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Gameplay mechanics are fun but the community is absolute shit. This is enhanced by the absence of any game rules, for example no three Widows. They said that this isn't going free to play because a player must have all the characters available to pick what the team needs.
But players never pick what the team needs, everybody pick Widow or Hanzo, climb to rooftops and play their own version of team deathmatch, completely ignoring objectives.

So if they made it free to play and having to unlock only the characters you need, it would not have made any difference. Except less money for the company of course.

abija

Prophet
It takes a special kind of retard to complain about picks in a day old beta. Bonus points if you actually believe to know what sensible picks would be.

Gerrard

Arcane
Doesn't change the fact that people have played for hundreds of hours and you can find information about what character does what if you just fucking bothered. And if your first pick when your team is attacking is a character from the "Defense" category it's probably you who is retarded.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Played a few hours,fun little shooter that isn't worth the 40$ price

abija

Prophet
Doesn't change the fact that people have played for hundreds of hours and you can find information about what character does what if you just fucking bothered. And if your first pick when your team is attacking is a character from the "Defense" category it's probably you who is retarded.
You are severely delusional if you think majority of players in open beta bother to read about the game. Also completely wrong about the second part, widow is one of the best offensive heroes and is on defense section.

Gerrard

Arcane
Also completely wrong about the second part, widow is one of the best offensive heroes and is on defense section.
So you think a person who just started playing will be a useful Widowmaker on offense? Okay.

abija

Prophet
Yeah I think widow, s:76, pharrah are very easy to pick up being standard shooter archetypes. "Obvious" heroes like monkey, reinhardt, lucio and mercy actually require the team to work with them and are almost pointless otherwise.
Widow is also good vs the two noob killers (dwarf and bastion) and much much easier to execute than succesful flanks for new players.

Black

Arcane
Man, that Reaper DIE DIE DIE guy is edgier than all the Codexers combined.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah I think widow, s:76, pharrah are very easy to pick up being standard shooter archetypes. "Obvious" heroes like monkey, reinhardt, lucio and mercy actually require the team to work with them and are almost pointless otherwise.
Widow is also good vs the two noob killers (dwarf and bastion) and much much easier to execute than succesful flanks for new players.
lolwat? Lucio is hands down the best support for randoms.
I'd like it better if people picked Junkrat more, who also is in defense category for some reason despite him being useful in blowing up turrets and Bastions behind cover, and easier to do some damage in general just by spamming grenades in the general direction of enemies.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom