Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Overfall - [a Roguelite Fantasy RPG]

weashell

Novice
Get ready for a fantasy role-playing game of rough diplomacy and tough action. Explore, negotiate, and fight your way across the high seas!

Hello adventurers! Please share your feelings and give us feedback on what you think about our very first gameplay trailer. We have been working so hard to get the game ready (soon we will share a Demo!) - also we have been preparing for two big campaigns.

We need your support on both Greenlight and Kickstarter! Please consider voting and backing us by using the links below;

Sail the seas. Turn the tide. Save the world.

Explore the shifting seas of a strange realm. Fend off starvation. Fight terrible foes…or befriend them. Recruit lost souls and learn their histories. Recover lost artifacts and rediscover lost knowledge. Take part in stories of the absurd and the tragic, the magical and the mundane - intimate, epic, and never the same twice.

Ready to embark?

Overfall_3s_Backs.gif

CORE FEATURES

• A huge, dynamic world to explore, ruled by a number of races in constant conflict - it’s up to you to help or betray them
  • Challenging and addictive turn-based combat - careful strategy and cunning skill combinations are the key to victory against your foes!
  • Permanent hero death, procedural world generation, and high replay inspired by classic roguelikes
  • Interactive story encounters where the choices you make and the allies you recruit ensure no two journeys are quite the same
  • Unlock new classes, weapons, trinkets and skills as you progress in the game
  • Beautiful hand-drawn art of of 9 player characters, 36 combat companions, 80+ enemies, 80+ NPCs, and 100+ locations

Cibram Bolt

Pera Games
Developer
Hey all! I am a developer of Overfall - ask me anything you need - i am hunting down all the threads and posts around the world :D

*casting portal to another forum skill*

Cibram Bolt

Pera Games
Developer
Cibram Bolt In what way is this game a roguelike? It sounds more akin to X-Com or Fire Emblem.

Yes it is - Permanent hero death and procedural world generation - are at Overfall's core. I can compare mostly with FTL in that way. You select 2 heroes - start the journey, die, repeat. Eventually die replaces with win :)

Looks interesting. I wonder how complex the combat is, and how smart the AI is.

Great point - For next month we've scheduled a big time for another iteration on Artificial Intelligence of the combat. Hope you will like it! ;)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wow that art is just awful. Applying chibi physics to otherwise generic western fantasy aesthetics seems to have had an unfortunate and disastrous effect.

prestige

Barely Literate
Wow that art is just awful. Applying chibi physics to otherwise generic western fantasy aesthetics seems to have had an unfortunate and disastrous effect.
First post to forum! I dont like categorizing things but art style and animation remind me "Dont Starve" which was a huge success and chibish if every big head and small body is chibi. I think chibis has more clear and straight + cute disgusting lines compared to this one(I somehow like chibis at mobile and tablet devices but not desktop). That game's art look like more stylized and hand drawn when you look details carefully. But im not gonna say anything about western fantasy aesthetics. I cant say anything before i play which is content. We will see.

Cibram Bolt what you gonna say about that?

LizardWizard

Prophet
Yes it is - Permanent hero death and procedural world generation - are at Overfall's core.

Art is a bit quirky but I think it'll grow on me with permadeath companions/TB combat. Looks fun going by the trailer.

Are all the ship encounters just boarding fights? Or is there some SM: Pirates! there?

Cibram Bolt

Pera Games
Developer
First post to forum! I dont like categorizing things but art style and animation remind me "Dont Starve" which was a huge success and chibish if every big head and small body is chibi. I think chibis has more clear and straight + cute disgusting lines compared to this one(I somehow like chibis at mobile and tablet devices but not desktop). That game's art look like more stylized and hand drawn when you look details carefully. But im not gonna say anything about western fantasy aesthetics. I cant say anything before i play which is content. We will see.

Cibram Bolt what you gonna say about that?

Everyone have different tastes! So it is very normal some people will like this style, some not. What matters here is - WE LOVE THIS STYLE! :) And we want people like us to enjoy Overfall.

Art is a bit quirky but I think it'll grow on me with permadeath companions/TB combat. Looks fun going by the trailer.

Are all the ship encounters just boarding fights? Or is there some SM: Pirates! there?

No, ship behaviors change against your actions in world - if they hate you they will attack you, if you have a good reputation with them, they will give you quests, help you etc.

Whiran

Magister
Everyone have different tastes! So it is very normal some people will like this style, some not. What matters here is - WE LOVE THIS STYLE! :) And we want people like us to enjoy Overfall.
It's great that you love that style.

The style is definitely successful at provoking a response. Unfortunately for me, my response to it is a huge negative. I cannot get around the art style and it will keep me away from the game.

However, I hope the game has great success!

weashell

Novice
Just like you said everyone has his own taste. I felt like im gonna play rpg adventure roguelike-ish tactical turn based game with visuals similar to Castle Crashers or maybe Dont Starve. Well Background is very tasty but maybe not well connected with characters. That remind me Animes they have very painterish background but line art animations. I hope you can finish that game. Looking forward for demo! :D

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So how does this game distinguish itself from the procedurally generated hex-based combat masterpiece Battlebrothers?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...tegy-rpg-now-available-on-early-access.89524/

The two games seem to be going for much the same thing. I'm already a huge fan of battle brothers, so I'd need to know how Overfall is going to be different if I'm going to make room for a second game in that niche.

Cibram Bolt

Pera Games
Developer
So how does this game distinguish itself from the procedurally generated hex-based combat masterpiece Battlebrothers?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...tegy-rpg-now-available-on-early-access.89524/

The two games seem to be going for much the same thing. I'm already a huge fan of battle brothers, so I'd need to know how Overfall is going to be different if I'm going to make room for a second game in that niche.

I am a huge fan of Battle Brothers too! Well, to answer your question, with my 10+ hours of BB experience (wish i had time for all those awesome games) i don't find Overfall and Battle Brothers that close to each other, At BB - core of the gameplay is mostly about managing your characters, loot is a huge factor in game, you get "a" quest, fight, get drops, distribute it to your characters - which does not have storylines and characteristics, only simply backgrounds as traits. And as far as i see there are 3 main quest types in game, not sure what happens if i invest more playtime, and i couldn't see that much of something really happens randomly on the map either, except some bandit spawns, a guarding watchmen and militia. I can compare this gameplay core more like Mount&Blade - which is one of the best games for PC i think.

Overfall mostly has a core similar to FTL. Whenever you go into an island, your assets are checked by procedural generation system. These are your main characters and your choices for them, your chosen companions, their personalities and backstories, and your previous decisions. So when you encounter with an event - your characters still response the event with their characteristics and personalities with possible choices. You are going to see different kind of interesting choices because neither your party nor the encounters on the event or your previously selected choices will be same. After finishing an event, when you set sail again, you will see the world responses this, you change something in that world with your actions, you will see the Orcs are now chasing you if you hurt them in that event, or you will see Elves attacking Dwarves if you conspired a nasty plot against them.

There is a popular quote of Sid Meier which i love personally; "A game is a series of interesting choices" - we started Overfall by believing this and wanted to give everyone the opportunity of making interesting choices.

If i have to compare the combat systems of both games, i see Battle Brothers is way more complex than Overfall. There are a lot of hexes in the battleground as far as i see and camera is moving on BB, while Overfall's hex base is always 9x7. There is no action points in Overfall, you have 3 phases to use for each character's turn and core of the combat is to manage the conditions and making combinations of actions. There is almost a thousand different skills in Overfall to deploy or contend with.... This is a HUGE number. Each of these skills have different names and effects i am not talking about duplicated skills.

So basically - Overfall and Battle Brothers are not that close to each other, both games are extremely fun and high quality. I can tell this, if you like Battle Brother, i think you will like Overfall too - and vice versa.

The only reason maybe you won't like Overfall is - it has "MAGIC" :) as far as i see Battle Brothers don't.

Well, anyways, hope you will like - i must get back to work, would like to write more later!

PS: I wanted to share my Steam if anyone would like to add: http://steamcommunity.com/id/cibram

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played the demo, was quite interesting. I like the art.

I just think that buffs & debuffs seem to be TOO important. Having both "an attack" and a "use buff/debuff" phase is weird. I prefer when these are a tactical choice - skiping an attack to buff up or remove dangerous status effects. Doing it each and every turn THEN attacking feels like busy work.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
--- DEMO IMPRESSIONS, WALL OF TEXT FOLLOWS -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED --

Full disclosure: I backed Overfall at the 8 dollar pledge level. While I had doubts (especially due to the artwork) about the game’s quality, I felt that in the worst-case scenario I could just consider it part of my charity budget for the month.

I started the demo expecting not to like it. The faux-chibi style for the characters was a huge turn-off from the get-go, and I was expecting animation to be crap, as it usually is the case with indie games. I’m a very visual person so I like smooth animation in my games.

Not a lot of options on the start screen (understandable for a demo), New Game brings you to the party creation screen but there are no creation options at all (not so understandable).

You get a warrior and a cleric and no other classes (and can’t even choose to start with two of the same class) and all you get are their default abilities, all the rest is locked.

While I understand that the roguelike element of the game is exactly about dying and unlocking new stuff for future playthroughs, it feels like a missed opportunity not to give demo players some leeway right at the start. The demo would be much more interesting if you could play around with at least a couple of variables. Desktop Dungeons did this right from the start.

Moving on, next you get to the overworld where you control your little ship. Animation is pleasant - nice surprise! - and while it’s a bit weird that all the islands have the same shape and size, at least there are a few ships sailing around. You can interact with all of them, though it’s all useless dialogue - demo restrains I’m sure. So far, did not find any ship that would trigger combat or a mission.

Same with the islands, every each one you sail to is either empty or has a character pointing you towards the One True Demo Quest. Ok, I get it!

So I follow the golden marker at the edge of the screen until I get to the island with the golden exclamation mark floating above it. What does archaic symbol mean,I wonder? Is the island surprised?

But no, turns out that reaching the island triggers some dialogue (all dialogue is very sparse and to-the-point, btw - and eminently skippable if that is your thing) in a pretty-as-picture screen where you see your party and some NPCs standing around. Click, click, combat screen!

On the first fight, a new character pops up, saying she’ll join me against my werepig opponents. Then combat starts, and I get to move my fighter and cleric around in an hex-based grid.

Each turn takes three phases - movement, utility (buff and debuff) and attack, in this order. You can skip a phase but you can’t switch them around. This is my first disappointment as it immediately removes a great deal of tactical options.

On each phase you can do one of 2-3 actions, each with it’s own cooldown. So for example, if you use the warrior's special “move” skill, where he jumps many hexes away causing a shockwave, on his next turn you’ll only be able to walk regularly. In the same manner, if you use the cleric’s healing utility on her buff phase, on the next buff phase you’ll have to chose between one of the other two (or none).

This works kinda nicely. On many similar games, you pick the most effective skill and spam it every turn until out of MP/SP, here you are actually forced into thinking ahead and deciding on pros and cons.

The skills themselves have a nice variety, though some clearly need some work. For example the cleric’s movement skill purportedly “pulls a friend towards you and heals him/her”, but you can only use it in melee range so the “pull” part of the effect is null. What’s the point? Doesn’t even feel like a movement skill at all. I’m guessing the intention is for it to work like WoW’s Priest Leap of Faith but at the moment it’s basically giving a hug and healing 2HP.

Also lukewarm on the animation, a sticking point of me. The regular movement and most attacks are smooth which actually impressed me as I had low expectations, but there’s little to no feedback when characters are hit. I expect some reaction when a big werepig hits my character with an axe, perhaps some stagger and a crunchy sound effect. It doesn’t have to be a Square-Enix cutscene, but make it feel like something happened besides numbers coming up. I was immediately reminded of Vandal Hearts as an example of how you can have nice visual and aural feedback even on this “budget” art / graphic style.

Apart from these flaws, I was pleased and properly engaged during the fight. Later I could take the guest NPC as a party member and found her abilities more interesting and flexible than those of both my starting characters.

The rest of the demo was a similar cycling of light storytelling / combat screens. At some point I could make a couple of decisions of how to progress the narrative based on my party members, but it was exclusively for flavor and did not affect the following fight in any way.

Then I had to stop playing, and upon restarting learned that the demo doesn't save progress. A second play-through got me killed far earlier and I was a bit bored and got reckless right from the start. I'll link to the video as soon as it's uploaded, so you can make fun of my voice and incompetence, as well as hear any comments I might have forgotten to make here.

So my verdict on the demo is that it was better than I expected and did not repulse me enough to remove my 8 dollar pledge. It’s actually more polished than most Kickstarters I see doing the rounds, and probably worth a look.

Cibram Bolt

Pera Games
Developer
Played the demo, was quite interesting. I like the art.

Glad you like, about the combat mechanics - buff/debuff we still have so much to add and work on balancing and more content.

--- DEMO IMPRESSIONS, WALL OF TEXT FOLLOWS -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED --

Thank you so much for Youtube video and an amazing + long feedback Ash! Today we are going to update the current demo build, made some changes based on overall feedback.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Glad it helped. I forgot to link the video here, here it goes:

It was my first game recording ever so the sound is awful, apologies.

weashell

Novice
I like the recording, in addition maybe you can lower music/fx a little to pop out your sound a little forward. sometimes hard to hear your voice because of game itself. now be a famous one so i can say im 2. subscriber of that guy :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom