Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Over 900 Retro Arcade Games Are Free To Play On Internet Archive

Alchemist

Arcane
I spent a few minutes this morning playing classic Leisure Suit Larry through the DOS archive. Died in the 3rd room with a hilarious arbitrary death - heh, good 'ol Sierra games.

Anyway, yeah - without saves, and inability to configure anything (sound, etc), I don't see how it threatens GOG. Just a nice way to briefly try out a bunch of games quickly, and maybe properly download / buy later on.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Might & Magic games, Duke Nukem 3D and possibly other 70+ games have been taken down.

Interestingly, SSI games, which is also owned by Ubisoft, are still alive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might & Magic games, Duke Nukem 3D and possibly other 70+ games have been taken down.

The rule might be that they leave it alone if it's not on GOG. Or maybe they only care about prominent IPs.

dehimos

Augur
One question, Why are games erased? himmy linked Master of Magic but this does not exist. Warlords II or Wasteland (GOG) are still.

https://archive.org/about/faqs.php#1047

My Favorite Game isn't in there! What's wrong?
There are multiple reasons the MS-DOS section might not have a game or application in its library. They include:

• The game requires a CD-ROM's amount of information to run. Since this is an in-browser emulation, larger datasets (greater than 10 or 20mb) run into all sorts of issues when being loaded. The size, not the use of a CD-ROM, is the core issue, so even disk-based games that used a lot of space are not being loaded up.
  • The game, in some way, is not compatible with the EM-DOSBOX emulator. If we find the current incarnation of the emulator plus the version of the game is causing crashes, freezing or strange errors, we will likely remove the item just to limit frustration for users - there's nothing more bothersome than trying to track down a problem that could be anything from your browser to a strange programming choice made 25 years ago.
  • The game is still for sale. Happily, a number of vintage DOS programs have been updated, fixed for compatibility, and continue to be sold at a deep discount to a modern audience. Sites that provide sales to these updated DOS versions include Good Old Games and Steam.
  • Finally, we may simply not be aware of the application or game and not have an example of it. We're always adding more programs as we can.

I prefer to link companies:

SSI (neither Fantasy General nor Sword of Aragon): https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"Strategic Simulations, Inc."

KOIE: https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"KOEI Co., Ltd."

Micropose (software library msdos): https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"MicroProse"&and[]=collection:"softwarelibrary_msdos"

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

I don't know what were they thinking putting on the GoG stuff.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They probably were thinking they had the same rights as the meanest public library given the DCMA exception and that the games are 'streamed' (total bullshit, but reality enough for the avrg internaut).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're still adding new games, and two of them are Sierra games by Al Lowe, presumably not owned by Activision. (Other Sierra games, including King's Quest series, are taken down, btw.)

If they're keep running this and fixing issues (sound, slowdown, control and other things), this could be a good library for checking out games before download them from elsewhere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're still adding new games, and two of them are Sierra games by Al Lowe, presumably not owned by Activision. (Other Sierra games, including King's Quest series, are taken down, btw.)

If they're keep running this and fixing issues (sound, slowdown, control and other things), this could be a good library for checking out games before download them from elsewhere.

Hey hey, Freddy Pharkas. :incline:

I don't see why that wouldn't be owned by Activision? It is also possible they're allowed to have it because it's not available anywhere else.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
They probably were thinking they had the same rights as the meanest public library given the DCMA exception and that the games are 'streamed' (total bullshit, but reality enough for the avrg internaut).
Didn't they got the exemption only for cracking and archivisation, not for streaming?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
f9sEXk6.gif

They added Zeliard, which is an early Metroidvania game and somewhat a precedessor to Souls games: https://archive.org/details/ZELIARD

Apparently this game was submitted by a user.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4604
http://www.emularity.com/

Emularity, a loader that powering this project, has been released as open source.

Announcing, everybody, The Emularity, once a simple name for a post on this weblog, but now its own piece of open-licensed software/scripts. I’ve been working with our lead coder on this project, Dan Brooks, for a number of months on this thing, and while it has a fairly spectacular and intimidating learning curve, I think it’s set up well enough to justify handing it out.

Consider The Emularity to be in a Beta state.

If you’re not in the mood to play around with a still smoking script package, then hold back and wait a little while until the Emularity is in better shape as a distributable. Oh, make no mistake, it works and works well. But there’s still some pieces to iron out and documentation to write, along with examples to help you.

Have I dropped enough caveats and warnings? Great.

The Emularity came about because while the Internet Archive has this wonderfulcollection of tens of thousands of software package (and it will continue to grow it), the fact is that the methods and programs used to bring in-browser emulation to you shouldn’t be locked away. They should be freed up, given away, and provided for others to build on, improve, debug and assist with its next level of adoption: Worldwide.

With this software (and a bit of noodling), you can now run emulation for anything, anything, in the realm of JSMESS, JSMAME and EM-DOSBOX, which are the three main Javascript emulators running at the Internet Archive. In fact, as the Emularity page shows, we have provided three sets of javascript emulators, already compiled and waiting, that you can just drop right in along with the acquired software and just have everything run.

Let’s say it again:

We Just Made In-Browser Emulation Ubiquitous, Peristent, and Easy.

People are figuring out how we did the work with the in-browser emulation at the Archive and there’s certainly been a handful of people and sites that went off and cloned things and tinkered enough to get them running on their own machines. Bravo. Always wanted that.

But The Emularity is the attempt to make it so simple, so very effortless, to install an emulator for the software/console/machine of your choice and just have it run – in a local file directory, or a website, or file server in your school or office. Nothing less, in other words, than turning emulation into something that you can do as simply as you might drop a .ZIP file into a directory.

Why?

Because it’s time.

After a year plus of life with JSMESS and its variants/cousins, it’s time to increase the audience even farther than it has been. To make it so that contributions to Emularity, or the JSMESS/JSMAME projects, is rewarded with your work being able to spread worldwide. It’s no secret – our projects need people, smart people, who can look at the work we’re doing with our loader and the .js files that the emulators consist of, and go “Oh, I know how to make that run twice as fast/twice as responsive” and contribute those improvements.

I’m asking people to come in, work with the Emularity, complain about this aspect or that aspect, improve it, and contribute back the improvements. I want people to wander over to the emulators themselves and help us find ways to speed them up, to optimize the code/compiling so the system requirements for the best sound and performance is much lower than it’s been up to this point.

It’s working. I want it to work better. And I want it, just like all the rest of the volunteers who’ve given countless hours to this project, to work everywhere.

Let’s do this thing.

Let’s celebrate the dawn of the Emularity.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Internet Archive have playable cracked Apple II software library with cracker's commentaries for each entry. (You can read commentaries by clicking TEXT in Download Options.)

Some of the common complaint that comes in with the software collections I’ve been helping herd onto the Internet Archive is that the “cracked” version is what’s up – but in some cases, that’s all we’ve got left of the programs. Now, thanks to people like 4AM, we have something more.

Long may they crack.

http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4630

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Apparently they secretly implemented save and load system to their DOS emulator six months ago. It uses your browser's cookie system: http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4924

So we fixed it.

Through the work of multiple people, including John Vilk, DFJustin, bai, db48x, and other contributions, the BrowserFS extension that JSMESS/Emularity uses can maintain filesystems across sessions, in a cookie.

It’s been doing this for six months.

Complaints about saved games have dropped to zero.

Every day, dozens (occasionally hundreds) of people are playing long-term role-playing games or ongoing arcade games and shooters, saving off their games where the system provides that as an option, and they they come back later and pick up where they get off. It just works.

Want to try it out? Here’s a nice weird one. Using VEDIT, a rather obscure DOS-based text editor from 1992, made by Greenview, Data, Inc. It’s the demo version of the word processing program, but that’ll be fine enough.

If you go to the page for the program, you’ll be able to boot the emulator.

Within it, you press any key to get to the editing window, enter anything you want, and then press F10, which will give you a glorious retro drop-down text menu. From there, you can save whatever you type into a file. (Or, you can press ALT-S and ALT-Q, which is the same thing.)

You have now saved a copy of the file away on the virtual filesystem of the emulated program.

You can now close the browser window, or close the browser entirely. You can reboot. But as long as you come back to the same machine, and the same browser, the file you wrote will come back.

Why not announce it?

Well, for one thing, it’s slightly confusing. Right now it only works on our EM-DOSBOX emulations, because the way that MAME/MESS handles filesystems is notably different (although who knows, we might come up with a solution in the future).

Another is that there’s no quality check, per se. The BrowserFS plugin has plenty of testing, but this whole environment is off the wall. We’ve done as much testing as we can, from a lot of different approaches, but I don’t believe in announcing this feature as a guarantee. You might still lose your games. You might not associate your cookies with your filesystem of your emulated program. You might have a cookie blocker, run in private mode, or clear out cookies using some way you don’t know. Poof goes the saved data.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ooh, nice.

Always nice to see devs from the days of old doing the Good Work needed to see their masterpieces live on.

Which reminds me, what happens if you reach the final screen and go "Fight Mode":

gsITcl.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom