Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outer Wilds - outer space camping trip game

Ivan

Arcane
ehh, tried to get into it and so far it looks to me like walking simulator. The start of game is shit that's for sure. Flied to some planet died to invisible ghost wall and it sent me back to game start where i had to again fucking walk to get launch codes after which i altF4 it.

Subnautica it ain't.
keep going

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ehh, tried to get into it and so far it looks to me like walking simulator. The start of game is shit that's for sure. Flied to some planet died to invisible ghost wall and it sent me back to game start where i had to again fucking walk to get launch codes after which i altF4 it.

Subnautica it ain't.
keep going
don't, it doesn't get better

Arthandas

Prophet
I tried it for around an hour, I'm intrigued by the concept of flying around various weird places and trying to understand why the sun explodes but my inner spider sense tells me the game is actually shit and the "gameplay" consists of nothing more than talking to npcs and translating lines on the walls. Are there any actual puzzles? Do you get to pick any items?
It's supposed to be a puzzle/exploration game but since it has suspiciously high ratings on Steam and apparently everyone managed to beat it, it can't require more than 50 IQ to finish...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I tried it for around an hour, I'm intrigued by the concept of flying around various weird places and trying to understand why the sun explodes but my inner spider sense tells me the game is actually shit and the "gameplay" consists of nothing more than talking to npcs and translating lines on the walls. Are there any actual puzzles? Do you get to pick any items?
It's supposed to be a puzzle/exploration game but since it has suspiciously high ratings on Steam and apparently everyone managed to beat it, it can't require more than 50 IQ to finish...
The puzzle is to figure out what the loop is. You need clues, which aren't items, but rather knowledge, as in things in your own head or a notepad. There is no permanence across loops other than the info in the ship's log, which is a repeat of what clues the NPCs and walls gave you.

You solve puzzles not by combining two items together or licking the magic pixel or because an NPC gives you a quest, but rather because you see and understand the question (i.e. what's that exploding thing at the beginning of each loop, how does that magic stone in the museum change places...) and its answer, which leads you to another question that is answered someplace else in the solar system. Some places open on a timer, some have hidden entrances, some are mechanisms you don't understand how to activate, some you have to know what you're looking for to see them.

All locations are available from the moment you finish the (shitty linear) tutorial and enter the ship. If you know the solution to how to survive the loop, like everyone who's finished the game, you can run to the credits
in your first loop because it takes like 5 minutes.

Even if a lot of people have finished it, it's not because it's too easy or the game treats you like you're retarded, quite the opposite. People who aren't familiar with game tropes have a hard time with it, and it asks that you put 2&2 together rather than giving you a compass and points of interest. Or use a bloody guide for tips like most people do.

And the punchline of it all are a few moments of awe about spaaaaaaace and existentialism, or primal fears like noises in the darkness, drowning alone or predators.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Wow, so It's even worse that I thought. Basically a walking sim except you're flying, not walking... My spider sense was right, danger avoided.

I hate when games pretend to be smart and clever but have no actual gameplay. The only games I've played that successfully merge puzzles and exploration are The Witness and La-mulana.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
All locations are available from the moment you finish the (shitty linear) tutorial and enter the ship.
The tutorial is optional. You can head straight to the observatory to grab the launch codes. I wouldn't really recommend it, as you'll need to understand how to use your tools to beat the game, but there's nothing forcing you to complete any of the tutorials once you feel you've understood the mechanic.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Wow, so It's even worse that I thought. Basically a walking sim except you're flying, not walking... My spider sense was right, danger avoided.

I hate when games pretend to be smart and clever but have no actual gameplay. The only games I've played that successfully merge puzzles and exploration are The Witness and La-mulana.
Yeah, Mario is a walking sim except you're jumping too There isn't even NPCs to talk to, so pretentious.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Yeah, Mario is a walking sim except you're jumping too There isn't even NPCs to talk to, so pretentious.
Yeah, very solid argument, comparing OW to a game made almost 4 decades ago xD

Like I said, OW has great reception because it makes stupid people feel smart and you're just proving my point by defending it.
I bet you feel like a genius by holding a button to translate wall texts, pressing a single button to autopilot away, talking to static npcs standing in one spot the entire "game" or having to backtrack where you were every 20 minutes.
Well, it's my own fault for posting in this den of circle jerking retards, it's not like anyone here apart from Roxor sees this turd for what it is.

Visperas

Augur
I just finished the main game and working on the dlc. I'm shocked at its reception here. This game is a fucking masterpiece. DLC included. If you haven't played it. Give it a chance.

Lokiamis

Learned
I just finished the main game and working on the dlc. I'm shocked at its reception here. This game is a fucking masterpiece. DLC included. If you haven't played it. Give it a chance.
I'm so dumb I thought the DLC clue was hinting at the moon and beat the game thinking that was the DLC content. Feels good knowing I have more of this game to play someday at least.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Based on Visperas and pakoito's comments I guess it's finally time to try this, been hearing about it for years. I would generally rather play a pretentious game than Rocket Launcher Spamfest #2099 so yeah.

Nothing in the game itself is pretentious. If you care about the opinions of pretentious people and whether they like the game or not, don't.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Nothing in the game itself is pretentious. If you care about the opinions of pretentious people and whether they like the game or not, don't.
I think the ending can be fairly argued to be pretentious. But anyone who lets that ruin the rest of the game deserves it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom