Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast - A New Beginning - sequel from original devs and THQ Nordic

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, you sure post a lot about this game you don't care about.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone tried out the demo yet?

I'm currently downloading it...
Yes. It's a weird demo.

The world is handcrafted, combat is ok, jetpack is nice and the framerate was good. This is basically a polished ELEX without the rpg skill tree or the factions.

I'm dissapointed by two things: (1) console UI/inventory and controls and (2) the exploration is good but there is no simulation. It's not bad but I guess expecting a simulated world is too much to ask from them. I mean the bonedogs from Kenshi have more personality than the animals from this game.

Anyway, seems to be quality AA.

I don't know... it manages to capture a bit of the old magic, which is mostly due to the soundtrack. The soundtrack isn't anywhere near the brillance of that of the original game which was played by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra but at least it's able to make some references to it by using some old motifs without butchering it to random hollywood movie soundtrack shit. Cutter looks ugly ass, but not as bad as I feared whereas all voice acting is mediocre at best. Cutter's voice is nothing to write home about and especially the Talans sound rather idiotic. And why the hell do they look so human? They should at least look a bit exotic. And they should speak with some kind of accent not just like any random dude on the street. I do like the imaginative nature design but some stuff is over the top and looks like it's right out of some fluffy children tale, way too bright and cuddly. I don't know, the few slices of gameplay are surely not enough to judge the game. I'm not really excited about this game but I also don't feel utterly appalled by it. Yet I'm definitely not inclined to expend 50 bucks for it.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
How much actual gliding is it vs the slowfall 'gliding' that every cheeto festooned nintendolard squeals about from Zelda where its actually just a slowfall/parachute? Can you trade altitude for speed then regain some altitude at the risk of a stall? Or can you just rely on the jetpack and ignore that mechanic entirely?

JDR13

Arcane
I don't know... it manages to capture a bit of the old magic, which is mostly due to the soundtrack. The soundtrack isn't anywhere near the brillance of that of the original game which was played by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra but at least it's able to make some references to it by using some old motifs without butchering it to random hollywood movie soundtrack shit. Cutter looks ugly ass, but not as bad as I feared whereas all voice acting is mediocre at best. Cutter's voice is nothing to write home about and especially the Talans sound rather idiotic. And why the hell do they look so human? They should at least look a bit exotic. And they should speak with some kind of accent not just like any random dude on the street. I do like the imaginative nature design but some stuff is over the top and looks like it's right out of some fluffy children tale, way too bright and cuddly. I don't know, the few slices of gameplay are surely not enough to judge the game. I'm not really excited about this game but I also don't feel utterly appalled by it. Yet I'm definitely not inclined to expend 50 bucks for it.
What disappointed me the most is how incredibly easy it seems. On normal difficulty, I didn't die a single time in the demo and never even felt challenged at any point. Plus you never have to worry about ammo because every enemy drops it. Hopefully Hard difficulty is a big jump.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What disappointed me the most is how incredibly easy it seems. On normal difficulty, I didn't die a single time in the demo and never even felt challenged at any point. Plus you never have to worry about ammo because every enemy drops it. Hopefully Hard difficulty is a big jump.
Yup. Gonna play on hard. But if you check the talent tree in the demo, your guy seems pretty buff already. Maybe that makes it somewhat easier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/l...y-planet-adelpha-today-outcast-new-beginnings
Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - February 14, 2024: Today, we invite you to dive into the Outcast - A New Beginning demo, available on both PC and consoles. Experience firsthand the thrill of soaring through Adelpha's skies with your jetpack or confronting giant mechs on the ground. Witness the power of Cutter Slade's customizable weapons, as you find the best way to dismantle the invading robot forces with style.

Get a taste of the action now and decide for yourself if you're ready to join the resistance when Outcast - A New Beginning launches on March 15th, 2024.

Get the Demo here:

Check out the latest trailer here: https://youtu.be/ntgV-sGY6iw

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Anyone tried out the demo yet?

I'm currently downloading it...
I've just finished the exploration and combat parts today. I've got mixed feelings.
Combat felt like a finnicky/sketchier version of Overwatch with no skills but on the other hand with more tactical choices and small missions grafted on top of it. Some of it felt genuine. At first, I was disappointed, but then some more frenetic action happened.
I got to the part where I unloaded the shotgun into the backs of scattering enemies.
Or, consequently, I thought I could shield myself from shotgun shots of the heavier robots the same way as I shielded myself from the pew-pews of the lesser ones, and I almost paid the price in full HP bar.
They had me on the run for a while, and good old stepping in and out of the door helped.
Those moments felt nice.
Using the jetpack was good too. Not many games do this up to this day.
In regards to the exploration: it's safe to say the world isn't empty and the materials/loot picking, puzzles, obstacle-races, ruins investigations, weapon upgrades, etc., could save the game for a while from the repetitivenes—if it occurs too soon.
I suppose, unless the full game stores some surprises yet unseen, it'll probably be a good filler for some 20-40 hours—and that's it. Not totally an UBI run-of-the-mill open world kind of thing, but close. Very likely not a horrible game, but probably nothing awe-inspiring either (unless you are a graphics junkie).
The soundtrack builds on the original Outcast themes. That was a heart-warming little thing.

Last edited:
I find that Jetpack problematic. It makes exploration way too simple just being able to fly and jump anywhere to. At least at the beginning the player should be forced to use his feet or a Twôn-Ha. Will there even be Twôn-Ha to ride in this game? This beast was one of the unique aspects of Outcast. By just giving the player such an piece of high-tech gear like that jetpack at the beginning there is no feeling of achievement. The player should have restrictions to use that thing or it should be available only later in game. Anyway, we'll see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/h...oming-open-world-action-adventure-outcast-new
Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - February 21, 2024: Do you have 60 seconds to spare? Head over to our YouTube channel for a concise overview of our upcoming open-world science-fantasy action-adventure, 'Outcast - A New Beginning.' Join us on a journey to the vibrant and colorful alien planet of Adelpha, an almost magical destination waiting to be explored. Immerse yourself in its fascinating flora and fauna, uncover remnants of ancient civilizations, and soak up the captivating scenery. Adelpha could be the perfect vacation spot if not for the invading robot forces that our protagonist, ex-Navy SEAL Cutter Slade, must confront...

Check out the latest trailer here: https://youtu.be/IdX_MkqQxmQ

Terenty

Liturgist

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/h...oming-open-world-action-adventure-outcast-new
Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - February 21, 2024: Do you have 60 seconds to spare? Head over to our YouTube channel for a concise overview of our upcoming open-world science-fantasy action-adventure, 'Outcast - A New Beginning.' Join us on a journey to the vibrant and colorful alien planet of Adelpha, an almost magical destination waiting to be explored. Immerse yourself in its fascinating flora and fauna, uncover remnants of ancient civilizations, and soak up the captivating scenery. Adelpha could be the perfect vacation spot if not for the invading robot forces that our protagonist, ex-Navy SEAL Cutter Slade, must confront...

Check out the latest trailer here: https://youtu.be/IdX_MkqQxmQ

Even enemies and their bases look like Elex

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1013140/view/4141694364915128218

Game Director Pablo Coma talks about Outcast – A New Beginning in Today’s New Trailer!

Vienna, Austria / Charleroi, Belgium - March 8, 2024: Today, Pablo Coma, Game Director of Outcast - A New Beginning, takes you on a deep dive and talks about the beautiful, interconnected world of Adelpha.

As you step into Cutter Slade’s boots, you are free to explore the planet at your own pace. After a brief tutorial, it's up to you to decide what to do next. Whatever path you choose, your decisions not only impact you but the entire world of Adelpha.

Game Director Pablo Coma talks about Outcast – A New Beginning in Today’s New Trailer!

As you step into Cutter Slade’s boots, you are free to explore the planet at your own pace. After a brief tutorial, it's up to you to decide what to do next. Whatever path you choose, your decisions not only impact you but the entire world of Adelpha.
"Whatever path you chose..." "free to explore the planet at your own pace..." These were the exact words by which you described your game as the newest, fanciest and wildest shit back in the mid 2000ies. Nowadays it's standard marketing brabble. I don't know. That sounds like the game is almost unbearably "user-friendly" and excruciatingly accessible, not to say like your typical casual trash. There have to be limitations and restrictions otherwise a game is boring. Gothic II did technically let you boldly explore its world "at your own pace" too, but it did set some serious restrictions to hinder your exploration - enemies that beat the shit out of your sorry adventurer's ass for example. That was motivating as it forced you to come back later to this or that cave or place and the feeling of triumph was beautiful if you were able to finally succeed. It gave you a sense of purpose and improvement. Judging from the Outcast demo, there is no such thing here. Enemies are a waste of metal and technology, you just go wherever you wish and shoot and bomb stuff up as it appears on screen. Everything felt random and meaningless. At least from the impressions of the demo this is an awfully boring experience to me. Maybe the demo isn't representative of the game (damn I sure hope that's the case), but it does a terrible job to portray the game as interesting.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom