Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast - A New Beginning - sequel from original devs and THQ Nordic

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It looks pretty good, I must say.

I just hope they keep discovery and planning in the hands of the player rather than go with the usual quest compass. They had a nice system in the original, with you being able to ask anyone for directions, and asking where someone is got NPCs to only tell you where they last saw X person because everyone moves.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Sequel to a game that relied on good graphics now has to rely on gameplay and world building. Good luck guys.
Man, you must be really hard to please!

1. One of the first (if not THE first) true 3D action games to pioneer the genre of later GoW, Darksiders, Souls-likes, etc. Not really an RPG, however, it played very similarly: elements of stealth, various approaches to quests, various dealings with the enemies.
2. Musical score by Moscow Orchestra—in the year 1999, when game developers were glad if they got enough money from sales to pay for the rent and a bit extra. Needless to say, it was one of the best musical scores of 20 odd years. Orchestrated AF and also reflecting upon the game's moments: serene vistas, lush flora, crowded cities, forgotten, homely villages, or tense combat.
3. A living, breathing, dynamic world where actors went about their business, went missing, or went to other places altogether—depending on their agenda or the state of your quests. Don't forget, we are still talking about year one-two-three 1999.
4. Sarcastic or quirky humor.
5. An extremely large world filled with true exploration (e.g., 'treasures behind the waterfall').
6. Worldbuilding... What else amounts to this meaning than a main quest line about raising awareness of rebellion amongst the people of Adelpha. Fighting through, sneaking through, or spying through to contact various local leaders in order to make all work together to finally overthrow the oppressors.
7. Jetpack as the means of traversing the world, exploring, or combat tactics.
8. Insanely good graphics for its time, not restricting itself to portraying but rather allowing the player to utilise or take advantage of the displayed world's elements.

It was one of the very few games that scored 10/10 in our local gaming magazine. Back in the day, when men were men, RPGs were RPGs, and gaming magazines were the pinnacle of journalistic creativity, no less.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
so hold on, there is like 3 different games?

1) outcast 1.1 which is a final patch for the OG game
2) outcast remake
3) this outcast sequel (same engine as 2)?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Pre-Order Outcast - A New Beginning and be among the first humans to arrive on Adelpha when the game releases on March 15, 2024.

Explore a breathtaking, living planet full of dangerous wildlife and hidden temples. Get to know Adelpha and its inhabitants, the Talans, and their vibrant culture as you gain access to their powers to help defend against their enemies.

2) outcast remake
There is also the original version which is part of the 1.1 purchase on GOG (in the extra section). It's the version I use to play. 1.1 isn't just another patch for the original version. No clue if they really fixed everything in 1.1 by now but it was horribly bugged with plotstoppers and such stuff.

Zoo

Novice
Sequel to a game that relied on good graphics now has to rely on gameplay and world building. Good luck guys.
Man, you must be really hard to please!

1. One of the first (if not THE first) true 3D action games to pioneer the genre of later GoW, Darksiders, Souls-likes, etc. Not really an RPG, however, it played very similarly: elements of stealth, various approaches to quests, various dealings with the enemies.
2. Musical score by Moscow Orchestra—in the year 1999, when game developers were glad if they got enough money from sales to pay for the rent and a bit extra. Needless to say, it was one of the best musical scores of 20 odd years. Orchestrated AF and also reflecting upon the game's moments: serene vistas, lush flora, crowded cities, forgotten, homely villages, or tense combat.
3. A living, breathing, dynamic world where actors went about their business, went missing, or went to other places altogether—depending on their agenda or the state of your quests. Don't forget, we are still talking about year one-two-three 1999.
4. Sarcastic or quirky humor.
5. An extremely large world filled with true exploration (e.g., 'treasures behind the waterfall').
6. Worldbuilding... What else amounts to this meaning than a main quest line about raising awareness of rebellion amongst the people of Adelpha. Fighting through, sneaking through, or spying through to contact various local leaders in order to make all work together to finally overthrow the oppressors.
7. Jetpack as the means of traversing the world, exploring, or combat tactics.
8. Insanely good graphics for its time, not restricting itself to portraying but rather allowing the player to utilise or take advantage of the displayed world's elements.

It was one of the very few games that scored 10/10 in our local gaming magazine. Back in the day, when men were men, RPGs were RPGs, and gaming magazines were the pinnacle of journalistic creativity, no less.
Yes, it was not only the Crysis of 1999, but THE 3D living world for me until Gothic. I enjoyed 1.1 and Second Contact, too, despite the obvious jankiness (comparing to newer AAA titles) and FedEx quests.

The New Beginning will be eurojank, but it looks surprisingly decent. Granted, my expectations were very low.

Last edited:

Zoo

Novice

2) outcast remake
There is also the original version which is part of the 1.1 purchase on GOG (in the extra section). It's the version I use to play. 1.1 isn't just another patch for the original version. No clue if they really fixed everything in 1.1 by now but it was horribly bugged with plotstoppers and such stuff.
I played it around 2017, and I didn't find too much bugs. (Achievements bugs aren't gamebreaking.) It has some engine-related glitches, which appeared in Second Contact, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom