Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Our Codexian Collector's Editions [PICS]

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So do you buy Collector's Editions? Why? If you do - post pics, some could be interesting, especially in rare editions.

I buy Collector's Edition if the game is worth it (so far I was only disappointed after I bought CE with Oblivion) and it doesn't cost 2 times (or more) of standard edition, I'm a collector - I love collecting games (especially cRPG) boxes and CE have a cool bonus points for me.

Here are pics of my CEs:

Medieval II Total War CE, Polish (+ expansion +RTW + Shogun, I also own Empire but it's not on the pic)
310720100301.jpg

Polish Diablo II Collector's Edition (+expansion)
49303908.jpg

US Oblivion Collector's Edition (+ Polish expansions)
25072010003c.jpg

Polish Jade Empire Collector's Edition
25072010002j.jpg

So, what about yours?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I've got several, although I don't feel like photographing them atm.

Baldur's Gate II
Red Alert 2
Morrowind
Warcraft 3
World of Warcraft
Oblibion
More that I can't think of

Of those the Blizzard ones are probably best. The Baldur's Gate II one is by far the worst -- Black Isle notepaper, seriously?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ScottishMartialArts said:
So did Polish Collector's Ed Diablo 2 not come with the DnD pen and paper Diablo game?

No... US version had them? Fucking Eastern European cut CEs :(

BTW is your CE of BG2 like this?
http://gamecollector.files.wordpress.co ... /bg2ce.jpg
* 4 special “gold” game CDs in original quad case with liners
* Bonus disc in sleeve (including: art, portraits, music tracks, and a complete walk-through for the first chapter and an additional merchant in the game named Deidre.)
* Shadows of Amn game manual
* Multifold Quick Reference Card
* Interplay’s Reference and Troubleshooting Guide
* Cloth map of Amn
* Paper map of Amn
* 1 pack of 19 color NPC trading cards
* notepad with images from multiple Black Isle Studios games (including BG, BG II, and Fallout 2)
* A coupon for $10 rebate on Icewind Dale
* Creative Labs flier
*BG II t-shirt, poster and postcards
It's European CE so idk about US edition... but I'd love that edition of BG2. Unfortunately I've never seen any CE of IE games in Poland.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I only have the Heroes of Might and Magic series 'all time' Collector's Edition. All HoMM games + expansions, book with artworks, all soundtracks and a tarot card deck with homm5 art. Good stuff.

And well, also the Oblivion one, but it was the only one being sold on day 1 here in Poland, I think. Or it was the only preorder? Regardless, the price wasn't any different from the normal one.

I usually don't bother with CEs because they're expensive as fuck, and I can live without soundtrack CD for additional 50$

Joghurt

Augur
OK well somebody is gonna ask that anyway so I might as well be the first one to do:

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU BUY OBLIVION COLLECTORS EDITION ???

:x :decline: :mob: :rage: :pete:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Konjad said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
So did Polish Collector's Ed Diablo 2 not come with the DnD pen and paper Diablo game?

No... US version had them? Fucking Eastern European cut CEs :(
Fucking CD-ProJew. I still can't forgive them cutting down and horrible translation of Fallout's manual. For fucks sake, that game costed fucking 165PLN and these fucking shitheads cut down the manual.

Konjad said:
BTW is your CE of BG2 like this?
http://gamecollector.files.wordpress.co ... /bg2ce.jpg
* 4 special “gold” game CDs in original quad case with liners
* Bonus disc in sleeve (including: art, portraits, music tracks, and a complete walk-through for the first chapter and an additional merchant in the game named Deidre.)
* Shadows of Amn game manual
* Multifold Quick Reference Card
* Interplay’s Reference and Troubleshooting Guide
* Cloth map of Amn
* Paper map of Amn
* 1 pack of 19 color NPC trading cards
* notepad with images from multiple Black Isle Studios games (including BG, BG II, and Fallout 2)
* A coupon for $10 rebate on Icewind Dale
* Creative Labs flier
*BG II t-shirt, poster and postcards
It's European CE so idk about US edition... but I'd love that edition of BG2. Unfortunately I've never seen any CE of IE games in Poland.
Fucking CD-ProJew. All we got was the additional CD, paper map of Amn, manual, reference card and incredibly shitty box.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Alexandros said:
This man is innocent! ...and he wasn't the only one who fell for Beth's bullshit :(

I upgraded my rig so I could play that turd. At least I was left with a capable PC.

And I didn't buy the game either.

Konjad

Patron
I expected new Morrowind as well. I knew graphic was shit but except that I was pretty sure it's morrowind-like game.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
That doesn't explain the Jade Empire CE. I mean, what were you expecting from that game?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What are you Polish fuckers whining for? When I was there a few years back I was overjoyed at all the CDProject collections and Collector's editions that were superior to western versions and were cheaper than a normal basic version in the west! Got a whole bunch of them.

Nevermind that also after a year or two most games are just 20 zloty, so it's hardly worth the effort of pirating.

The biggest problem is the random 'quality' of translations. Wish they had both English and Polish versions released, as with Arcanum. Got it for 20 zloty($9) and it had the game, soundtrack and extra disk for the Polish version(that I didn't use). In Australia at the time they were still selling Arcanum for $80!

Lesifoere said:
That doesn't explain the Jade Empire CE. I mean, what were you expecting from that game?

Like me he liked the setting I guess. It wasn't a bad game, just KOTOR in Fantasy China. John Cleese was worth the price of admission.

relootz

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
I only have the Heroes of Might and Magic series 'all time' Collector's Edition. All HoMM games + expansions, book with artworks, all soundtracks and a tarot card deck with homm5 art. Good stuff.

Goddamn i was sure i was going to be the only on the dex to have this. :rpgcodex:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As an innocent adult teen I purchased my very first collector's edition: Neverwinter Nights 2.

I have never purchased one since.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Anyone that buys any collectors edition is a fucking tool for the gaming in industry and you fucking know it. Is your life so pathetic that you feel the need to spend extra money on a slightly more shiny coating and extra bells and whistles on a game that most people probably don't give a fuck about? Are you hoping that when you show off your Oblivion special edition box that some girl is going to get all horny and excited and jump your bone? Are you hoping the funds will go towards the destruction of Israel? Admit it you fucking pieces of shits: you are a loser and you hope getting something special will make you a special snowflake. It won't: you will continue to be a loser, kids will continue to throw rocks at you while you run home like a retarded donkey with a police baton up it's ass, women and girls alike will laugh at your fat ass and 3 inch dick, and at the end of your life when you are on your death bed and that random dude that shows up to the funeral drunk is only their for shits and giggles, you will realize that wasting money on CE of games is a WASTE OF GOD DAMN FUCKING MONEY!

Meh, I think I tried too hard.

obediah

Erudite
This thread does a lot to explain the dummying of the codex.

Bethesda shouted the shittiness of Oblivion from every rooftop on the planet for two years before its release. They delivered what they promised.

Were you guys part of the dipshits spewing the standard "you can't criticize it until you play it" and "how many games have you developed?" whenever anyone ran pre-release information through their head and complained rather than just jerking off to it?

denizsi

Arcane
I try to get CE versions when I'm buying games. Since I'm paying, I might as well get a little more than just the barebones cardboard box with a shitty manual. I hunt for cheap sales, though, often quite a while after release. The only games I buy at release are the ones I'm hyped about.

Suchy

Arcane
Who the hell buys collector editions anyway? Getting milked for some bullshit props, eh...

Luzur

Good Sir
did i quick look among the shelves and here's what i found in collector pack terms:

Ultimate Might and Magic Archives
Heroes of Might and Magic Platinum Edition
The AD & D Masterpiece Collection
AD & D Special Collection
Three Worlds of AD & D
The AD & D Collectors Edition
AD & D Limited Collectors Edititon vol. 1
Phantasie Bonus Edition
Dragonlance Limited Collectors Edition
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Collector Edition
Space Quest Collection
Ultimate Dizzy Collection
Sega Classics Arcade Collection Limited Edition
Alien Breed Special Edition

MapMan

Arcane
I have never bought a collectors edition. I never found them worth the money especially since most of the shit that CEs contain used to be standard back in the day.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I buy colletor's editions of MMORPGs, excluding WoW expansions.
Also Age of Mythology. For some reason I bought the Limited Ed. of Elemental which was a huge mistake. Haven't even picked it up at the postal service place yet.

I never bought CE's. However, I demand a physical copy of any game I have and I never bought any digital release. I'm not interested in the extras but I must own at least the discs, and I will ignore digital distribution as long as the market allows it.
I bought many (if not most) of my games well after release, so I have many compilation boxes or repackaged copies. Two examples are the GSP Fallout collection (that advertises the games as "action packed"...) which has an annoying GSP autolauncher but is full of goodies (artwork, the Tactics P&P game etc.) and the Sold Out release of Deus Ex GOTY, that loads its own horrible launcher before the game, increasing loading times and shortening my patience (luckily there's a simple workaround).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom