Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original Sin 1 or 2?

Which ONE game should we play?

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Divinity: Original Sin II

• Neither, they are both terrible. Instead play ___________ (comment below)

• Play both in order, they are both good and I can't read simple instructions

• kc

Results are only viewable after voting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic armor system is obviously better

KateMicucci

Arcane
It's perplexing that so many people here are filtered SO HARD by the armor system. You attack the guys who have weak magic armor with magic attacks and the guys with weak physical armor with physical attacks. It's not hard.

Yes, it's not D&D, but I'm sure if you try your best you can figure out how to play a 2nd system.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's perplexing that so many people here are filtered SO HARD by the armor system. You attack the guys who have weak magic armor with magic attacks and the guys with weak physical armor with physical attacks. It's not hard.

Yes, it's not D&D, but I'm sure if you try your best you can figure out how to play a 2nd system.

I think you're asking a lot of the average Codexer.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I recommend to start with D:OS 1 although the choice doesn't matter much since the gameplay is very similar. I preferred the mechanics of the first one. On the armor system I am neutral, but the initiative system is better and it doesn't have the pointless source mechanic. The story isn't good in either case but it is easier to ignore it in the first game. The first game also felt a bit tighter, less bloated.
It can be a bit confusing where to go early in the game. And if you are badly outclassed in a fight, you are most likely in an area for higher levels. The character levels matter a lot and I'd say level differences should be within 1-3 levels or you will have a very hard time. If you have a really hard time finding your way you may consider taking a look at the Zones by level maps, although I'd recommend finding the way yourself by exploring.

Codex Year of the Donut

FriendlyMerchant

Play Age of Decadence. It's an rpg unlike DOS1+2.
I'm looking through the patch notes but can't find where Iron Tower added a co-op mode.
It's an rpg. Not an mmo
wow yeah how could anyone think an RPG might be a coop experience, it's not like the genre is based on D&D and Traveller or something haha
It's not like anyone could mistake DOS1+2 for an rpg anyways.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Such a mixed view. One guy said armor was good then Jarl said it wasn't. I tend to agree with Jarl due to seniority but then again seniors are crazy.

The retarded armor thing DOS 2 introduced is obviously not something Larian came up with on its own.

The origin being The Banner Saga combat system.
I can't say: "I love it so much" but the system is more complex in The Banner Saga and more tactical, both due to small HP and armor pool (18/18 is a tank) and current HP = damage dealt.

So, it's not an amazing system to begin with but you get used to it and it makes for alright tactical combat.

Of course, Larian had to dumb it down, add HP and armor bloat and add armor block statuses.
It's really a shitshow.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Such a mixed view. One guy said armor was good then Jarl said it wasn't. I tend to agree with Jarl due to seniority but then again seniors are crazy.

The retarded armor thing DOS 2 introduced is obviously not something Larian came up with on its own.

The origin being The Banner Saga combat system.
I can't say: "I love it so much" but the system is more complex in The Banner Saga and more tactical, both due to small HP and armor pool (18/18 is a tank) and current HP = damage dealt.

So, it's not an amazing system to begin with but you get used to it and it makes for alright tactical combat.

Of course, Larian had to dumb it down, add HP and armor bloat and add armor block statuses.
It's really a shitshow.
what?
the armor system is nothing like banner saga lmao

catfood

AGAIN
Me and my buddy managed to plow through D:OS 1. By mid-way through it became a slog. It took us 2 or 3 years to complete. We've also played D:OS 2 almost in its entirety and we managed to get to Arx but we haven't played it in almost a year. He called me saying he wants us to continue but I told him that if he wants that he should load up the game himself and look up all the journey entries to figure out what we have to do because I don't have the mental stamina to go through that junk. His response was indecisive.

Novice
If you have to choose one or the other, go for Original Sin 2. The game's only true faults are arguably (arguably) itemization, which can introduce bloat, and inventory management.

KateMicucci

Arcane
If you have to choose one or the other, go for Original Sin 2. The game's only true faults are arguably (arguably) itemization, which can introduce bloat, and inventory management.
The game has many faults. But it is not the itemization, it's the exponential levelling increases that require you to replace all your gear every one or two levels when you get to the 2nd chapter. That was a design decision that was 100% deliberate and 100% Swen.

Novice
The game has many faults. But it is not the itemization, it's the exponential levelling increases that require you to replace all your gear every one or two levels when you get to the 2nd chapter. That was a design decision that was 100% deliberate and 100% Swen.

NAME THEM.

KateMicucci

Arcane

NAME THEM.
  1. As I said, the exponential leveling is a big one and it's the reason why I stopped playing.
  2. The stats and derived stats worked much differently and better in the beta. In the released version, stats were dumbed down so now everything is just damage stacking.
  3. Initiative is a useless stat because turn order is always player>enemy>player. You can't stack init on your team to do a turn one alpha strike.
  4. Personally I didn't like how half the skills in the game require source points. I don't like the source point economy. Might just be me.
  5. There's a lot of edge and weird sexual writing thrown in that feels very out of place with the cartoony art style and it's a big departure from the first game.

Novice

NAME THEM.
  1. As I said, the exponential leveling is a big one and it's the reason why I stopped playing.
  2. The stats and derived stats worked much differently and better in the beta. In the released version, stats were dumbed down so now everything is just damage stacking.
  3. Initiative is a useless stat because turn order is always player>enemy>player. You can't stack init on your team to do a turn one alpha strike.
  4. Personally I didn't like how half the skills in the game require source points. I don't like the source point economy. Might just be me.
  5. There's a lot of edge and weird sexual writing thrown in that feels very out of place with the cartoony art style and it's a big departure from the first game.
1. Right, I agree. I hate to see that this made you stop playing. But valid. Personally, this is the only part of the game that I tweak by modding, but more in the sense of the vanilla game being a bit too easy if you actively complete all the side content. I played with level scaling to avoid under-leveled enemies and then boosted their level by 1-2 to add to the challenge, and this solved the leveling issue for me - I never had any issues with fights being too easy and there were fights that led to having to execute the strategy to perfection if I wanted to win, and one messed up round would lead to failure. Doesn't excuse this being an issue on game side and it ultimately ties into aspects of itemization that I was referring to. Some okay stuff here, but it's among the game's flaws for sure.
2. I disagree. You can personally min-max all you want and "stack damage", but can also... not do that, and finish the game by relying on other means, like combat tactics and strategy (both pre-combat preparations and mid-combat), exploring items, crafting, character traits, exploiting the game (which is very much encouraged). If you feel pressured to min-max damage and DPS in a single-player game (or, at most, a coop game that you'd be playing with your friends) in the same manner as you would in a pvp-based MMO, the game is not the problem. Embrace the agency given to you (and of course this includes stacking damage if you feel like it, but this still doesn't reduce the game to "just damage stacking"). There are so many things the game leaves out for you to find out. In the final battle, while getting our asses kicked, we randomly found out that "dirty panties" and "smelly socks", items that we were jokingly stacking in our inventories throughout the entire game, can be used to craft an immortality scroll. A joke that started in Fort Joy effectively saved us at the very end.
3. It isn't useless, but at the same time it also isn't the stat that you should be investing tons of points into. Depending on your composition you are given the choice of adjusting your team initiative to set up the ideal order for your team. It's a minor stat. But I agree it's underutilized. Hardly something I'd call the game "shit" for (not that you did, but y'know, it's Codex). Most of the time you also have the upper hand with stealth, invisibility, and positioning - you have legitimate tools at your disposal to mitigate the initiation system.
4. I think this is fair, although it's important to realize that while this is a game design choice, it is also inherently tied to world-building and your personal growth as the character you're playing as, and it can be boiled down to the simple philosophy of - will you fully embrace the Source, focus on power, not wits, and fulfill your goals by any means necessary, because the end justifies the means? How different are you from ****** and the ****, if you're literally sucking people's Source away? Or will you reject the extremes and suffer in combat as the result because you'll have to fall back on weaker abilities more often? Whether you like it or not, this theme ties to what Divinity's more serious messaging is all about. Personally, I am okay with a gameplay-related limitation that is tied to how you personally perceive your character, and it is fully oriented around you making that decision.
5. I don't know about that. The only one that was questionable to me was the Fane scene. It was written in a way that I didn't see it coming IIRC - if felt like a joke and then *BAM*, hot sweaty gay sex. Due to the narrator, some are done handled very well, and have a comedic tone to them. Sadha-Red Prince encounter comes to mind. The Driftwood tavern encounter also isn't too much on the edgy side imo. I don't think you're supposed to take it seriously, just like many things in Divinity, but it's ultimately a work of art, so your interpretation is your interpretation, can't stop you from that. Overall, at least in my solo playthrough, I didn't encounter any super-duper kinky writing, and the same goes for co-op playthrough. Out of all the recent RPGs, DOS2 hardly beats you over the head with sex scenes. More tastefully done than the very cheesy stuff that you see in the Witcher games.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I am new to this forum, so I just wanted to emphasize - E M P H A S I Z E - that Baldur's Gate 2 is the greatest video game ever made, and I heckin' love it. The writing. The soundtrack. The gameplay. That juicy RTWP! The D&D ruleset! Wow! I'm 40 years old now, don't have a family, stay inside all the time, haven't touched grass in four years (ever since my wife divorced me), and the only contemporary games I enjoy today are the games that blatantly cater to bitter old people like me with outdated design. The only other new game I enjoyed was Dark Souls. So good because it is old school and actually punishing! I click one button to dodge away. Incredible. Nay, ingenious. And le EPIC music! Also, Skyrim is NOT an RPG. I also browse /v/, unironically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom