Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Original Fallouts reach #7 in NPD sales charts

Melcar said:
Moray said:
Volourn said:
Big whoop. At $10 it means squat, anyways.

I haven't even been around that long, and already you stand out as one of the most readily identifiable, and not to mention most prominent, worthless and idiotic assholes on this board. Rather than cream of the crop, you're the antithesis: the grimy, chunky bits in a massive pile of foul, rotten shit.

It's not about the price-point, you insipid twat. It's the fact that, even if precipitated by the popularity of Fallout 3, people are looking into older and very worthwhile RPGs. From there, the strong possibility exists that these people will branch out further and seek out other quality, arguably "classic" cRPGs.

:lol:
Doubtful. People are getting them because of the name and recognition from Failout 3. Most will be like: "hey, I should try these and see what all the fuss is about".... only to forget about them 2 days in. I doubt they will branch out, seeing that most people that got Failout 3 are "those" kind of gamers. Believe me, I've done extensive research on the subject.
At worst, these guys are posers. "Hey, look at me, I also played the originals. I'm so cool." Fuck them, I played the originals too, and before it got trendy.

There are undoubtedly quite a few people who will buy the games unaware that they aren't modern first-person action-rpgs. But nowhere near enough to crack the top 10. Those numbers mean a lot of people being happy to play some oldschool games to find out what happened in previous instalments, or simply because they like a P-A setting and want to play more games with it.

And FO is NOT a difficult rpg by any means. There is absolutely no reason why anyone who played FO3 should get stuck working out FO1 and 2. Isometric turn-based rpgs are incredibly intuitive to casual gamers - it is the first-person real-time w/pause / VATS combo that relies on experience with games using similar perspective. The only thing that could make that type of game difficult would be hard combat, which FO definitely lacks. Fun, yes. Hard, no.

I'd say about 70% of those buyers would know how old FO1/2 are, and would be expecting something even more archaic then they get. They'll be pleasantly surprised about how accessible turn-based isometric gaming actually is.

You forget that most gamers aren't the opinionated argumentative bastards that frequent gaming boards and write crappy review blogs. Most aren't committed to a particular brand of gaming, they just encounter a game every now and then that seems fun, and play the hell out of it. They don't have 'next-gen vs oldschool' allegiences. I know plenty of people who loved Mass Effect and FO3 who spend most of their gaming-time playing ADOM and Dwarf Fortress for fucks' sake.

xuerebx

Erudite
Azrael the cat said:
There are undoubtedly quite a few people who will buy the games unaware that they aren't modern first-person action-rpgs. But nowhere near enough to crack the top 10. Those numbers mean a lot of people being happy to play some oldschool games to find out what happened in previous instalments, or simply because they like a P-A setting and want to play more games with it.

And FO is NOT a difficult rpg by any means. There is absolutely no reason why anyone who played FO3 should get stuck working out FO1 and 2. Isometric turn-based rpgs are incredibly intuitive to casual gamers - it is the first-person real-time w/pause / VATS combo that relies on experience with games using similar perspective. The only thing that could make that type of game difficult would be hard combat, which FO definitely lacks. Fun, yes. Hard, no.

I'd say about 70% of those buyers would know how old FO1/2 are, and would be expecting something even more archaic then they get. They'll be pleasantly surprised about how accessible turn-based isometric gaming actually is.

You forget that most gamers aren't the opinionated argumentative bastards that frequent gaming boards and write crappy review blogs. Most aren't committed to a particular brand of gaming, they just encounter a game every now and then that seems fun, and play the hell out of it. They don't have 'next-gen vs oldschool' allegiences. I know plenty of people who loved Mass Effect and FO3 who spend most of their gaming-time playing ADOM and Dwarf Fortress for fucks' sake.

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Melcar

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
I know plenty of people who loved Mass Effect and FO3 who spend most of their gaming-time playing ADOM and Dwarf Fortress for fucks' sake.

They're probably fags. The research clearly points to that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Sure, many people will react like that. But I have already seen people who first played FO3, then played the originals and loved them."

Exceptions to the rule.

Moray

Scholar
Volourn said:
Ah.. Another whiney pretenious internet geek who doesn't think his shit stinks. Guess what. Your shit does stink.

Oh no, my shit definitely stinks. I just think you are shit, that's all.

Moreover, I'm optimistic that a good portion of these people that have picked up the original Fallouts will be pleasantly surprised by what they play.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"Sure, many people will react like that. But I have already seen people who first played FO3, then played the originals and loved them."

Exceptions to the rule.

It's pretty pointless to claim this one way or the other; all we can really do is guess, and even our best guesses will be influenced by our own personal bias.

Not that it's ever really stopped the Codex before, mind you. I just figured I'd point it out before the next "My made up opinion/statistic is better than yours" debate begins.

Morbus

Scholar
Volourn said:
"I haven't even been around that long, and already you stand out as one of the most readily identifiable, and not to mention most prominent, worthless and idiotic assholes on this board. Rather than cream of the crop, you're the antithesis: the grimy, chunky bits in a massive pile of foul, rotten shit"
Ah.. Another whiney pretenious internet geek who doesn't think his shit stinks. Guess what. Your shit does stink.
I think Volourn is a genius. Seriously. I don't read the codex that much, but every single one of his (your, since I'm quoting) posts is pure and utter crap full of trolling and flamebait. Some are so incredibly dumb and stupid that they are borderline cliché. And I can't believe someone like that would endure all the shit thrown at Volourn, so I think the person behind that nickname is a genius who wants to post stupid shit for the sake of it. The text I'm quoting is a marvelous example. His reply could easily be inserted in the quote, nobody would notice. It's just so backwards, it's impossible :D

Keep it up Volourn!

User was nabbed fit

By shoving life down its throat, and then ripping its throat out. Shitting down its neck afterwards is optional.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It's pretty pointless to claim this one way or the other; all we can really do is guess, and even our best guesses will be influenced by our own personal bias."

What personal bias? I'm on FO1's side. I lvoe FO1, and hate FO3 so I have no problem with people learning to like FO1 throguh FO3. However, it's simply illogical. The two games are just so different than it's hard to believe that someone who absolutely loves FO3 will then pick up and love FO1 when their expectations will be completely ruined.

Let's take a look at the proccess.

A. Someone loves FO3.

B. They buy FO1 expecting it'll be more of the same game they loved.

C. It doesn't take long for them to figure out FO1 and FO3 don't play the same and are massively dissapointed in it. Not because the game sucks; but it's not what they expected.

Exceptions, of course, exist but the execeptions prove the rule.

"I think Volourn is a genius. Seriously. I don't read the codex that much, but every single one of his (your, since I'm quoting) posts is pure and utter crap full of trolling and flamebait. Some are so incredibly dumb and stupid that they are borderline cliché. And I can't believe someone like that would endure all the shit thrown at Volourn, so I think the person behind that nickname is a genius who wants to post stupid shit for the sake of it. The text I'm quoting is a marvelous example. His reply could easily be inserted in the quote, nobody would notice. It's just so backwards, it's impossible

Keep it up Volourn!"

This is one of the top 5 dumbest things ever on the Codex - espicially the first sentence. Moron.

"I just think you are shit, that's all."

i post on the internet. Only shit posts on the internet. Your point?

"Moreover, I'm optimistic that a good portion of these people that have picked up the original Fallouts will be pleasantly surprised by what they play."

Optimism can be useful but it's also very often illogical.

Silellak

Cipher
sheek said:
Volourn said:
Exceptions to the rule.
Never mind that the facts (reflected in the topic title) say they're not.

R00fles indeed

In Volourn's defense - and you have NO idea how dirty it feels to say that - the question isn't whether or not Fallout 3 has inspired some people to try out the older games, but whether or not the people who are trying out the old games are actually enjoying them.

All the topic title "proves" is that people ARE buying the Fallout trilogy again. It doesn't prove, or disprove, whether the people who are buying it are having fun with those games despite their obvious differences with the game that likely drove them to buy it in the first place.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
At worst, these guys are posers. "Hey, look at me, I also played the originals. I'm so cool." Fuck them, I played the originals too, and before it got trendy.

Wtf. Trendy is what circles? Who says they're cool because they play outdated games, who does that seriously, at which age, in which country. Guess I'm missing something

Melcar

Arcane
Serious_Business said:

Wtf. Trendy is what circles? Who says they're cool because they play outdated games, who does that seriously, at which age, in which country. Guess I'm missing something

What the hell man? What world do you live in?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Never mind that the facts (reflected in the topic title) say they're not."

You are an idiot. Silellak skooled you big time with his response. Moronic tool.

gc051360

Scholar
All the topic title "proves" is that people ARE buying the Fallout trilogy again

It proves that people are buying an isometric, turn based RPG with shitty graphics.

Volourn has chosen to argue that the people who bought it, hate it. I am not sure what he is basing that off of. I guess he just assumes that people couldn't possibly like Fallout 1 and 2.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Based on the fact they enjoyed a real time first person pseduo 3rd person sozzy ARPG with better than sozzy graphics.

gc051360

Scholar
Volourn said:
Based on the fact they enjoyed a real time first person pseduo 3rd person sozzy ARPG with better than sozzy graphics.

Yes. Because nobody can enjoy more than one type of game....

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
gc051360 said:
Yes. Because nobody can enjoy more than one type of game....
Not as enjoyable as arguing whether people who didn't watch Star Wars original trilogy will enjoy if they started with the prequels. Or whether they will like classic coke if they only had vanilla coke and how much of a tard they are if they don't like classic coke. :roll:

Seriously you guys need to step away from the monitor. :shock:

Relayer71

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Volourn said:

Exceptions to the rule.

It's pretty pointless to claim this one way or the other; all we can really do is guess, and even our best guesses will be influenced by our own personal bias.

Wow, an intelligent and rational reply.

Hard Knox

Educated
Volourn said:

You mean Mass Effect?

Hard Knox

Educated
Relayer71 said:
Silellak said:
Volourn said:

Exceptions to the rule.

Wow, a dumb, pussified, liberal reply.

Melcar

Arcane
Good God. What is going on here? Everything is like so rosy... and gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom