Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original Design Document of Deus Ex, Docs of Unmade Thief 4 and Deus Ex 3 Released

pippin

it failed to be profitable

This happened for other reasons and not because of the game's premise, though.

Beastro

Arcane
The Thief series has always been held back by esoteric, unrecognizable fiction and passive, slow-paced gameplay

Thief 4 will feature pick-up- and- play simplicity. The game will adhere to accepted console interface standards and, unlike priorgames in the Thief series, will feature accessible and familiar fictional concepts

we want tactical, visceral combat... the combat should feel good and the player should always feel like he has influence over the strategic situation.

Similar games: Max Payne, GTA

:prosper:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the article about what Eidos said about Thief 4 is even sadder than the design doc itself.

"Remove all the supernatural elements, make it a shooter."

Because a game called "Thief" should totally be a Call of Duty clone.

Fucking asshole cunt publishers

Azazel

Arbiter
This little infodump highlights perfectly why the games industry imploded for over a decade.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/warren.spector/posts/10211107813514106

Warren Spector

Hey, I've noticed people posting old Deus Ex images and docs here recently - stuff I don't have.

Anyone who has ANY Deus Ex materials - art, documents, code, marketing materials, whatever, get in touch with me.

I've donated all of my materials for DX (and other titles) to the Center for American history. Sadly, it's clear my collection is woefully incomplete. I'd like copies of your materials to complete the collection.

Scholars and historians have already used the collection. Let's make sure they have access to the whole story of DX.

Send me your DX stuff!

Neal Hallford Hey Warren. I think you, or someone, sent me a lot of stuff when I was writing Swords & Circuity. I'll see if I still have that stuff backed up.

Warren Spector Awesome!

Eruch Adams I don't think I know anyone at Eidos anymore, but they did have an IT team and I would imagine that they would archive old marketing material, at least. Depending on the producer archive protocol, there might have been some cool concept sketches and other info. Michael McHale, do you have any idea where old Deus Ex files were supposed to go?

Michael McHale I don't have copies of any files (was legally obligated to leave the company without any docs). Someone should check with the current management team at Square Enix.

Jonathan Hamel Aw man. Well, when we changed Crystal Dynamics buildings in 2014 there was a big old Eidos Publishing closet on the first floor that got cleared out. A lot of stuff that went into the trash and/or to the CrystalD staff. I don't recall seeing any Deus Ex material, though, but the person most likely to know where it might be and to respond to this Facebook post is maybe Kari Hattner, even though she's no longer there either.

Eruch Adams: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,19567/

Michael McHale: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,12127/

Albert Yarusso Time to start digging! I know I have at least one complete hardcopy of the design doc, plus surely a wealth of files and countless emails spanning Deus Ex and the PS2 Deus Ex.

Albert Yarusso: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,19542/

Robin Todd Poked around my archives and turns out I have all the original data files, descriptions, and cut scene scripts that I wrote. Will package them up and send them your way after I'm back from Thanksgiving.

Chris Todd: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,19547/

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Most of old developers are standing on a treasure trove of material that would get exactly no one in trouble if those were published. And yet they don't.

I wish all those production materials from those great games found its way online more often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom