Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Curufinwe

Learned
If magic and spirits suddenly exists I can be convinced that this isn't earth.

For now my stance is just Bizarro earth thats sort of standard and boring.

Standard and boring? Ok, next update we will have the very first alien invasion in history! Stay tuned!

More seriously, if I counted correctly we're at A:1 B:6 C:5.

Still an hour or two to vote before I close the proceedings, still time to change the outcome!

Why do so few people have any sense of adventure? What fun is there in practicality and sensibility? This isn't a race, there's no prize at the end. Hell, the main cast of the story doesn't even understand fire - how much logic and meta-prescience can we expect from them?

Anyway, C. Hope it leads to something more than useless religiousness.

Lindblum

Augur
Sorry, but you can't expect people to pick a non-standard choice if the world you created starts out normal.
About last update its fire we know about it, we know how and what benefits it can provide to us. Such as metal working and what not.
Still I'm interested in seeing how things will turn out.

Why do so few people have any sense of adventure? What fun is there in practicality and sensibility? This isn't a race, there's no prize at the end. Hell, the main cast of the story doesn't even understand fire - how much logic and meta-prescience can we expect from them?

Anyway, C. Hope it leads to something more than useless religiousness.
Think of this as rolling stats/ character creation. People will always want the best for their character.

Monty

Arcane
I wouldn't say we know whether the world is 'normal' or not yet. We've only had a couple of updates, our tribe are still in basic survival mode and have no understanding of the world around them. And yes, I'm also interested in seeing how things progress.

Vernydar

Learned
I must agree that we do not know much of the world yet. At any rate a few considerations...
1 - yes, it's fire, we know. And.... what makes you think that b is more likely to give you fire than c? In my opinion, the people worshipping fire have more chance to keep the fire than those who look from afar without getting close. Of course I might be wrong.
2 - We have no idea of how the world is rolling out yet. There could very well be spirits, magic, and anything else. Even if not, history could go down EXTREMELY different roads
3 - Religion.. is it useless? I don't know, I don't think so anyway. Every played civ? Religion might lead to culture, we're complete barbarians now....
4 - Most important, I may be new, but I always rp and my posts show that. I hope at least :P So I try to think of what the tribesmen would think :P

Curufinwe

Learned
I wouldn't say we know whether the world is 'normal' or not yet. We've only had a couple of updates, our tribe are still in basic survival mode and have no understanding of the world around them. And yes, I'm also interested in seeing how things progress.

Precisely. I don't plan for this to be a short term experience, I wouldn't have done 4 updates already in the very first prehistoria if I did. I underline again that you should not take anything for granted regarding this. You just have to behave like a primitive tribe with no understanding of the world, as you rightly put it.

Anyway, it's 2-6-6 for now. It would be the first tie in the game.

I of course thought of such a contingency, considered a few alternatives and, in the interest of keeping the pace pretty high, decided to go with a tie-break formula. From the time I declared the vote closed (which will be, I guess, in about an hour) the very next vote to break the tie takes all.

But again, there's still an hour.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I must agree that we do not know much of the world yet. At any rate a few considerations...
1 - yes, it's fire, we know. And.... what makes you think that b is more likely to give you fire than c? In my opinion, the people worshipping fire have more chance to keep the fire than those who look from afar without getting close. Of course I might be wrong.
They're intelligent, fire has obvious cause & effect; applications is trickier - if they don't understand right away, they will soon.
It's because they're intelligent that letting the priest handle this is dangerous - it will ossify into ritual, retarding the applications and experimentation; leave that stuff for shit-banal-boring taboos like corpse handling/burning; washing hands, don't fuck your sister that are useful, but you can't figure out why this soon.

Lindblum

Augur
Original:
The few animal worshipers left, seeing a chance, yelled: 'This great beast is surely a spirit even stronger than the spirit of the graceful zebra or the mighty buffalo. We should try to confront it, to commune with it to learn its name and strengths!'

Edited:
The oldest woman in the tribe, as if possessed, suddenly yelled: 'This must be a sign from the great blue, We must respect it or ....' She then dropped to the ground struggling like a dying zebra, the remaining tribesmen were shocked that this could be punishment.

The presentation gives too much detail, the original pretty much just shouted Worship become friends and gain power.

Curufinwe

Learned
Alright. Voting is now 'closed'. Tie-break time.

Next person who votes B or C will effectively make the decision.

If someone votes A the spirit of the zebra will curse him/her forever.

If by tomorrow morning (my time, GMT+1) nobody has voted I'll figure out something else :p

Curufinwe

Learned
Alright, the tie has been broken, option C triumphs!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vocal minority of spirit worshipers managed to shout out all opposition, especially the increasingly urgent and desperate cries of the animal tamers. An expedition was immediately mounted, and departed for the forest.

Only one would come back...

images

After several hours, a man returned. He was clearly in pain, the skin of his arms blackened and sloughing off in places. He stumbled blindly towards us, but in his right arm he brought a piece of wood. On top of this piece of wood, a small spirit danced, merrily, not at all threatening. The darkness of the night fled from the area surrounding the man, and many fell on their knees, awestruck by the strange scene.

In the following months the worshipers of fire (thus we named the spirit) would always strive to keep the spirit alive and sheltered. We learned, not without losses, some of its uses. We learned to feed it with animal dung. We learned to hold the raw meat over it, to make it tastier and easier to ingest. We learned it was a fickle spirit, to ignore it would provoke its feeding wrath. We learned that water would kill it, while earth would resist its feeding attempts. We learned that the things touched by it would send black air to the sky, as if their essence was dispersed by it.

But now we had to face a more urgent problem. Our zebra herd was irreversibly scattered, most beasts taking the first opportunity to go back to their feral habits. More worrying, the great herds by now had learned to avoid us and run at the very first sight of us. To catch more beasts, we were forced to take a hard decision: we had to follow one such herd to wherever they were escaping to.

Our scouts had spotted three main herds, taking three different headings. The great ancestral forest at our back, the greatest of the herds went to the right, where our explorers told us an endless plain ran on, seemingly forever.
The second went directly in front of us, towards the rising sun. Far in the distance in this direction the earth rose sharply, an immense rock blotting out the horizon.
The third went to the left, towards hilly grounds. The boldest of our hunters had gone there in the past, speaking of the horizon taking a blue hue at the farthest reach of their sight.

So, choice time, yet again:

A: Follow the main herd, leaving the forest forever behind, towards the endless plains.
B: Go towards the rising sun, towards the great rock rising above the horizon.
C: Go to the hills and the strange blue horizon.

24 hours (ish, I'll always update around the same time if I can), majority vote for the next update!

kazgar

Arcane
A) Follow the Large Herd, have the best chance of survival, therefore you have the best chance of survival.

oscar

Arcane
I can see A taking us down a nomadic, Plains Indian/Mongol path what would be pretty cool. Living on the plains will likely give us the background to become kickass horsemen.
C could be great for exploration and would give us a more reliable food source.
B however draws me because of the prospect of metal.

I'll listen to some arguements before voting but I'm leaning B at the moment.

I must voice my objection at the people going "lol don't vote C cuse its not roleplaying" in the previous decision. Bullshit, he's not going to include an option in the list unless he thinks its plausible. So please move your retarded "we have to make dumb/irrational decisions because that's what people did in the past". C wouldn't have made us into some smug, Richard Dawkins atheist types. Most likely it just shifted us around on the Logical Deductions vs Mysticism scale.

Also, Curufinwe should definitely make some unexpected, but logical, consequences to some of our decisions. Firstly, to screw over the meta-gaming fucktards. And secondly, to pour some imagination into this alien world and invoke the same among the voters.

oscar

Arcane
A, to the wide open steppe!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom