Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On NwN2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Morkar said:
2. annoying npc´s that you have to take temporarily no matter if you want them or not
4. dialogs that often result in the same solution, no matter what your char says

fixed

Warden

Arbiter
Neverwinter Knight, don't bother.
Most of these people have a brain of an angry little kid who thinks he holds the stick of evaluation of quality. Therefore, everything that doesn't comply with that holy stick is horrible and worth ridiculing.
Heh, the point is to explain to them that the stick in question is worthless. But I guess it's impossible.

Deleted Member 10432

Warden said:
Neverwinter Knight, don't bother.
Most of these people have a brain of an angry little kid who thinks he holds the stick of evaluation of quality. Therefore, everything that doesn't comply with that holy stick is horrible and worth ridiculing.
Heh, the point is to explain to them that the stick in question is worthless. But I guess it's impossible.
Wait, wait, wait... There are brains at the Codex? I thought there was only kneejerk trolling.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Playing NWN1OC was all like OH HAY! U R TEH LEGENDARY ANDYMAN MESSIAH!!1 I HAEV HERD ÜBERSUPERDUPER THINGS ABOUT U!!!

Shannow

Waster of Time
FeelTheRads said:
when dealing with such a aesthetically pleasing game?

Now I know you're a troll.
though this can be dissected into concluding that they actually love the game and only talk trash about it for the sake of the argument.
Took you far longer than it should have, FTR.

Why do trolls come over so stupid most of the time? Trolling on the codex should basically mean that you have a "normal mainstream" opinion of a game and point out your arguments in a civilised, non-hostile manner. What we get is shit that's even pathtic by internet standards. "You bash the game so much you must like it." WTH? Are those trolls in kindergarden? "FO is shit because the main colours are brown."
Do we deserve that kind of shit? If a codexer can troll another forum by posting NSFW-pics, personal attacks and bashing mainstream opinions, people who come here to troll should reverse those means.

Neverwinter Knight said:
Im running it close to max with a 7600 gt. Thats like what 35 dollars on newegg. Get a job.

Didn't work on Radeon 9800 (or at least that's what I think I had back when NWN2 was released), didn't work on X1950XT, and doesn't work on HD4850. Yeah, this isn't my grand-daddy's game that doesn't require a machine tailor-made for it, I know.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Neverwinter Knight said:
Im running it close to max with a 7600 gt. Thats like what 35 dollars on newegg. Get a job.

Didn't work on Radeon 9800 (or at least that's what I think I had back when NWN2 was released), didn't work on X1950XT, and doesn't work on HD4850. Yeah, this isn't my grand-daddy's game that doesn't require a machine tailor-made for it, I know.

Does work on Nvidia 8800 GTX ultra.
Get one of those.

Andhaira

Arcane
Look, its Neverwinter Knight, the latest attention whore to hit the codex.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Neverwinter Knight said:

Get one of those.

Still runs pretty shitty in places on my 8800GTX. I had to leave one forest area in a module during a day/night transition because it was slowing to unplayable levels (and went at 60fps once it was full day). It's just a really wonkily optimised game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Admiral jimbob said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Neverwinter Knight said:

Get one of those.

Still runs pretty shitty in places on my 8800GTX. I had to leave one forest area in a module during a day/night transition because it was slowing to unplayable levels (and went at 60fps once it was full day). It's just a really wonkily optimised game.

really? weird. I guess i'm just lucky then. I also never had a crash or corrupted savegame in Nwn2, something that really sucks in other games where it's happening often (wink wink TW).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The truth is that NWN2 does run like shit on most systems. Electron never has been fixed, never will be fixed, and continues to mysteriously dog out in certain situations even with my 2 GTX260's in SLI (/epeen).

It wouldn't be such a pisser if the games it's based on were better. How some of the decisions came to be surrounding the design of NWN2, MotB and SoZ I'll never understand. But, Atari's got the chokehold on D&D so what choice do we have?

NWN3? BG3? The future of computerized Dungeons and Dragons is very uncertain right now.

The 'literate' tag is a bit ironic methinks.

Oh and yes, your 'butthurt detected' radars are functioning properly. I'm sure I was still on 'barely literate' when I was at 12 posts. That and my ass hurts.

Shannow said:
FeelTheRads said:
when dealing with such a aesthetically pleasing game?

Now I know you're a troll.
though this can be dissected into concluding that they actually love the game and only talk trash about it for the sake of the argument.
Took you far longer than it should have, FTR.

Why do trolls come over so stupid most of the time? Trolling on the codex should basically mean that you have a "normal mainstream" opinion of a game and point out your arguments in a civilised, non-hostile manner. What we get is shit that's even pathtic by internet standards. "You bash the game so much you must like it." WTH? Are those trolls in kindergarden? "FO is shit because the main colours are brown."
Do we deserve that kind of shit? If a codexer can troll another forum by posting NSFW-pics, personal attacks and bashing mainstream opinions, people who come here to troll should reverse those means.
okay so the aesthetic line may have come out as a bit trolly. Sorry for loving a game so much it makes me a troll. but that brings me back to

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy said:
The truth is that NWN2 does run like shit on most systems. Electron never has been fixed, never will be fixed, and continues to mysteriously dog out in certain situations...

See, I was right, once again.

MetalCraze

Arcane
However the real solution: blame dumb gamers because they don't have that legendary specific videocard with which NWN2 runs without problems, because it isn't poor Obsidian's fault that you were too lazy to earn money in these 2.5 years to downgrade from your 4850 to GF 8800 GTX ultra Special NWN2 Edition Gold

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
NWN2 works with no problems on my 8800 GTS.

Not like it matters though, since I never even got out of the orc caves, and don't plan to in the near future.

Shannow

Waster of Time
skyway said:
However the real solution: blame dumb gamers because they don't have that legendary specific videocard with which NWN2 runs without problems, because it isn't poor Obsidian's fault that you were too lazy to earn money in these 2.5 years to downgrade from your 4850 to GF 8800 GTX ultra Special NWN2 Edition Gold
It's not a "special certain" setup. It's a random system setup coupled with random user settings. Or at least it seems to be that way. Pretty much like with G3. Only that G3 looked better and had a lot less loading *shrug*
Could of course also be different user perception. NWN2 ran ok on my system with some hiccups once in a while. For me that is worse than the graphics warrant but completely playable. Others might perceive the same issues as fine or as comepletely unplayable.

What bothered me more than minor engine/system lags once in a while was the built-in lagginess. The "right-click menu lag" that seemed to pervade the whole UI. Even after hitting space the game wouldn't react instantly but only after a few fractions of a second. Why did they put something so crappy in the game? Why Bethesda, why? ...eh, Obsidian, I mean.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not like it matters though, since I never even got out of the orc caves, and don't plan to in the near future.

Interesting, that's where I stopped too. Not that it's the worst part so far, but I got tired of just trudging on through the all encompassing blandness.

FeelTheRads said:

Interesting, that's where I stopped too. Not that it's the worst part so far, but I got tired of just trudging on through the all encompassing blandness.
dont get bored trudging, remember trudging through the mortuary in Ps:T. Yall are missing out on a gem of a game consider the orc caves the mortuary of NwN2. Keep playing it only gets better.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Neverwinter Knight said:
dont get bored trudging, remember trudging through the mortuary in Ps:T. Yall are missing out on a gem of a game consider the orc caves the mortuary of NwN2. Keep playing it only gets better.

Except that the Mortuary, while not the best place in PS:T, is still an interesting area and sets the tone of the whole game: there you see that while it's a D&D game, it isn't set in typical fantasy and that many of the genre conventions have been kicked around so much they lost their marbles and do not know which way to point to. The orc caves had nothing to make them interesting, they were just bland and long. But I agree with you that the game gets better after this.

Yes, memo to all of you who stopped at the orc caves: it seems the caves show the games nadir, but on my mothers grave the game picks up soon after as you divulge further into its plot.In fact i think the wise guys back at Obsidian HQ actually sorta intended the player (you) to feel this way. Think about it: your avatar has been battling its way through the orc-infested Sword Mountains for several days, the game forcing you to be on edge of your seat due to multiple orc ambushes, killing hundreds if not thousands of orcs in their orc lairs should have both player/avatar feeling tired if not somewhat bored. Luckily at this point you should be powerful enough to just run straight through while of course stopping to read all the dialogues. The cave is one of the few instances were the enemies respawn.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Your mother's grave sucks. The game never picks up, it just finds new ways to keep doing what it's doing.

I still played through it twice with a few years of amnesia to help in between. But really, the trial is nothing more than a huge dialog tree that barely manages to pick up on the scripts you set off earlier in the game and that has 2 different outcomes which result in the same game after it. The castle business just adds time in between the same ol' battles against the same ol' enemies (ooh, Shadow Reavers! And the undead! They must be special! Except that you end up killing more of them by the time you're in the final dungeon that any amount of orcs before). And that final dungeon... that final dungeon... it was an orc cave all over again.

It's an awful thing, when games are just not good. Doesn't mean I won't play it, though. Depends on whether you boosted Constitution at birth.

SerratedBiz said:
Your mother's grave sucks. The game never picks up, it just finds new ways to keep doing what it's doing.

It's an awful thing, when games are just not good. Doesn't mean I won't play it, though. Depends on whether you boosted Constitution at birth.
Heh, good points. Well sure it gets tedious after a while but what rpg worth its salt doesn't have some mindless 'grinding' portions in it? If you can even call it grinding since most of the more abundant beasties give you minimal amounts of experience. As long as theres high level wizard/cleric/druid spells for me to utilize I have no problems finding new ways to kill my opponents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom