Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On NwN2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Those difficult and challenging fights in MotB can really be a bitch.
I remember the Mummy Priests, Death Gods and Vampire Monks in the Lower Vault too. Fearsome.
One time I *eternal rested* every single one of them. Took me like 10 hours or more cause there is a 5min cooldown timer for Eternal rest. Of course you can't just go in there and attack them with a MotB-style weapon - you'll accidently kill them.

The best is you use a non-magical sword, so you can get them to *near dead* without causing to much damage. All the while they attacked me with their awesome powers and... knocked me down once in a while. This is always an adrenalin-rushing moment.

There is also a -pristine essence- Lich King down there. He is as dangerous as all the other Liches in NWN games so beware. Best is you cast a buff beforehand, maybe Greater Haste and should you not find Greater Haste in your Spellbook just try Magearmor or something. Then unleash a proper Grease spell. That will teach him.

But honestly, MotB has a lot of cool moments. But those are not combat-related.
Here's another anecdote:
You likely know that you can free the lich Maric from the Imaskari-rod and then in the Sunken City he can briefly join your Party. There will be special dialogue with the Ankhriva lich and his minions in there. In several of my games different things happened.

Sometimes combat ensues, sometimes OneOfMany scared some of his minions away and then combat ensued, sometimes Maric gave his *I am more orsum lich than Ankhriva*-speech and some of Ankhrivas minions changed side before combat, but last time something happended that never happened before and totally surprised me.
First OoM scared some Undeads away, then Maric gave his speech and then Ankhriva - obv intimidated - subdued to Marics power and swore to be his servant , ready for his commands.
How awesome is that?

MotB was very easy with a necromancy-focused wizard imported from the OC. Kill the undead with Undeath to Death or Control Undead (this also lets you peek at what kind of stats those Death Knights and such have), kill most hordes of enemies with Wail of the Banshee (including some fights in the gray city, like against Zoab), and sometimes with Vampiric Feast. Really, I don't get the whine on how mages suck so much in MotB, because you get so many boosts on your spell DC and if you're some kind of an Eldricht Knight build, you just benefit all the more from the ridiculous amount of epic loot.

Granted, being level 20 and having better equipment than what you can find for most of the game reduces the challenge quite a bit, and that requires you to either cheat or finish the OC. But still, it was very easy.

Qwinn

Scholar
It was indeed much too easy with a character that went through the OC. I played it only once, with a type of character class that I was not at all used to (cleric 7/monk 13/sacred fist 10... I normally prefer fighter-mage types). I don't think I ever cast a combat spell. I could pretty much kick everything's ass in straight melee. Even the final fight was rather dull.

Qwinn

quasimodo

Augur
The lack of an autopause (like IE games) and really bad companion AI made the combat suck big time. The only way I could stand to play this game was to shut off the AI and smack the space bar every six seconds.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
fuck shit fuck fuckitty fuck fuck shit fuck shitty shitty shit fuck fuck shitty fuck fuck shit shit fuck fucking fucking fuck fuck shit shit fuck fuck shititty shity fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck shity fuck

fuck!

Talonfire

Scholar
Neverwinter Nights 2 was deeper than Volourn's logic, but that's not really saying much.

To be fair NWN 2 did have its positive points. The OC wasn't by any means revolutionary (although it seemed like it at first after that NWN 1 OC bullshit), but there were a few areas where it really did shine. Unlike some people here I actually liked the trial, and there were other parts of the OC I really liked. On the other hand you had to wade through a lot of crap to get to these good parts, and I almost gave up on the OC during these segments. I'm just glad that Obsidian didn't go down the same route as BioWare did in NWN 1 by making the protagonist a FedEx employee with a sword.

Qwinn

Scholar
The only part of the OC I really disliked were those awful orc caves. Oh, and the "romance" with Elanee was so lame I'd rather they not even claimed there was one. (The only female character I actually liked in either game, they killed - mutter). Other than that, I thought the OC was decent. My biggest real complaint, actually, would be that it was too easy, which stayed true for MotB.

Oh, and yes, it's optimized for shit. Worst running out of all the games I've played recently, including ME and FO3, both of which have what I would think would be significantly more intensive graphics.

Qwinn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom