Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OMG! Still Life sequel!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Elwro said:
Microïds today announced the production of the second installment in the Still Life series. Still Life 2 has been in development at Gameco Studios since June 2007 and is being produced fully in real-time 3D.

Holy. Shit.
I am a bit worried since the adventure developers have not been too good at implementing 3D into their games thus far...

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
VonVentrue said:
Elwro said:
Microïds today announced the production of the second installment in the Still Life series. Still Life 2 has been in development at Gameco Studios since June 2007 and is being produced fully in real-time 3D.

Holy. Shit.
I am a bit worried since the adventure developers have not been too good at implementing 3D into their games thus far...
Sam & Max?

aries202

Erudite
I first learned about this news ta gameboomers.com and I was also jumping up and down with joy of this great news...

Then, as sort of an afterthought, I came to think about the whole playing as the victim part. Hopefully, the game won't turn into a first person horror survival game when there's a race against time to prevent the murder. I mean it would be a fun game, it just wouldn't be Still Life...

Apparently, we also get to know who the murderer is. I have seen many interesting discussions about this on adventure game forums over the last years. Let's hope, we won't be to disappointed when the murder is revealed...

Elwro

Arcane
I wonder where this wonderful Flash game went. I was halfway through it when the Still Life homepage went down.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Eh, not a fan of Post Mortem and Still Life. They pretty much summed up everything that went wrong with the adventure game genre.

MasPingon

Arcane
Top Hat said:
What about Grim Fandango?

Oh man, it's definitely one of the best adventure games. I loved absolutely everything about it,well, maybe besides a clunky controls. It's strange that there are no other games in Grim Fandango universe.

Elwro

Arcane
Post Mortem was a nice experiment at a non-linear adventure game. Too bad the complexity of it was too much for the creators and sometimes you had pretty incomprehensible dialogue options (your character knew more than you). But I liked the puzzles :D

Longshanks

Augur
Going back and playing Adventure games I've missed over the last couple of years (and older ones), haven't played one since The Longest Journey (probably no coincidence), currently the original Still Life is a low priority, should it be higher? It's been poorly reviewed (both opinions and review quality) by most sites, received an A+ from JustAdventure, but they seem to rate any decent Adventure highly.

Have to ask any of those who offer an opinion to also say whether they enjoyed The Longest Journey, and whether the main character is anything like April Ryan, I've become wary of female protagonists after TLJ and Culpa Innata (silly, I know). I will play the game eventually as it looks decent enough, but currently there are a number of games which seem more interesting.

pug987

Scholar
I think you should give Still Life a chance. It's no TLJ (which is one of my favorite adventures) but it has quite a different style and atmosphere to avoid direct comparisons. It is a very good game, somewhat easy, with a dark atmosphere and some of the best cutscenes I've seen in an adventure to date. I myself wouldn't give it a chance, claiming that all modern day adventures are of lower quality than the ones that came before but I was pleasantly surprised.

You controll two characters. The female lead is very different than April Ryan and that's a good thing. Afterall she's an FBI agent while April was an 18 year old art student. It shows that you can make interesting female protagonists without having to copy characters from successful games of the past.

I recomend it and believe by the time you finish it you too will appreciate how good news it is that there's going to be an expansion.

Longshanks

Augur
Will download the demo tomorrow (need to replace the power supply on my main PC), the theme of the game seems mature, so hopefully the main character won't be as immature as April and Phoenix (Culpa Innata). If I'm impressed by the demo I'll pick it up, and probably play it after I finish Pathologic and Chronomaster and replay Blade Runner and Dark Earth.

I think you misunderstood my post (my fault, it wasn't very clear), I'm not a TLJ fan, the game had potential and I enjoyed it in part, but some of its themes, the second half of the story, and my dislike of April Ryan meant I was disappointed in it by the end. It's TLJ and Culpa Innata that have made me wary of young female protagonists, it seems to be a trend in modern Adventure games to have such leads (TLJ, Syberia, Still Life, Culpa Innata), possibly because there are more females who play this genre, as well as develop for it. This is not a problem in itself, but in my experience so far (limited to TLJ and CI as it is) these characters are immature, naive and terribly annoying. The reason I asked about TLJ was because of my counter consensus view of the game. So I'm glad to hear that the main character is different to April Ryan, even by implication more mature.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I found Post Mortem really good , but still life bored me to hell. In fact I think all adventure games made by microids , except post mortem , are crap. Let's hope this sequel will somehow be good.

And I agree with Longshanks, all these female protagonists need a sharper sense of humor and some backbone. Although I found April Ryan a much better character than most others.

Jabbapop

Scholar
Still Life was not an adventure game. It was a string of one random (il)logic puzzle after the next, connected by pretty pictures and lights (that's "euphoric immershun!")

eth

Novice
Jabbapop said:
Still Life was not an adventure game. It was a string of one random (il)logic puzzle after the next, connected by pretty pictures and lights (that's "euphoric immershun!")

Agree 100%. It was a really horrible experience for me too - the worst game i had EVER played.

Educated
I don't think I give a shit. Still-Life was alright (some good puzzles) but the flaws were way too apparent.

Fuck me - the baking. Fuck me harder - finding a knife (I think that was it?) when you are IN A KITCHEN. I'd like to meet the asshole who thought it was funny to prevent you from using an ordinary dinner knife. Nope, it's gotta be special.

They also used that shitty voice actor for more than half of the male cast. I hate that dickweed, I think he's in Tripping the Rift too. How he got the job is beyond me.

Longshanks

Augur
Elwro said:
Post Mortem was a nice experiment at a non-linear adventure game. Too bad the complexity of it was too much for the creators and sometimes you had pretty incomprehensible dialogue options (your character knew more than you). But I liked the puzzles :D
Haven't played Post Mortem, but after just completing Still Life, it seems their experiences with PM may explain the very conventional design of SL. The game had nice atmosphere, a decent enough story, very nice cutscences and music, and the personality of the PCs did not grate as in some other recent games. It was however a very traditional Adventure, and even more heavily railroaded than most.

While not offering anything new, SL is well put together, and worth playing.
The gameplay of Post Mortem sounds a little more interesting, I might take a look at it. Will certainly follow the development of SL2, though disappointed to hear it will be fully 3D.

Speaking of upcoming Adventures, Jane Jensen (creator of Gabriel Knight) has a new game in development, Gray Matter. Unlike SL2 and Gabriel Knight 3, it is not to be fully 3D.

Pastel

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
Eh, not a fan of Post Mortem and Still Life. They pretty much summed up everything that went wrong with the adventure game genre.
How so? (Haven't played any yet, just curious)

peak

Scholar
I'd like to answer that, at least regarding Still Life (Post Mortem I only played the demo of). It's basically a game in which there are long passages of just walking between plot points - walk to A, recieve dialog, walk to B, recieve dialog, walk to C, etc. Compare that to, say, Broken Sword, wherein mostly everything is unlocked by first solving a puzzle or something - I think the puzzles in Still Life can be counted on two hands, max.

Now, this can be acceptable - I love the Phoenix Wright games for the DS (the fourth game being the exception) because they actually offer a well paced and interesting plots, even though they mostly consist of talking to characters and not solving things. "Interactive fiction" as it's called by some. The thing is, most of these new acclaimed AG:s aren't that interesting plot, character or setting wise. Still Life for instance has some good stuff in it concerning the killings and general plot, but is paced poorly with lots of reeeally boring passages and some puzzles that are just plain, shitty and illogical (for the setting) time wasters.

AG:s nowadays are too pretentious with their plots, thinking that they don't need anything else to be good. Grim Fandango (which you apparently didn't like) had puzzles, plot and characters that you actually cared about. I'd say the same about Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight and Broken Sword. That's thrice as much fun for the money.

/rant

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Pastel said:
Andyman Messiah said:
How so? (Haven't played any yet, just curious)
Peak summed it up pretty nicely, so I'll just add a couple of things.

The quest to find a serial killer. Attractive detective lady with nice tits (they even save her life once in the game) walks around and solves Myst-type puzzles. That's pretty much the ultimate grief I have with the new breed of adventure games. Somehow we managed to go from "combine rope with rubber duck with a pulley in the middle" to "play Tic Tac Toe in the sewers to enter the next area!" It's kind of depressing. There are some "classic puzzles" but they're mostly of the "turn on the light"-style. What happened to all the creativity, adventure game designers?

Apart from shit puzzles, the game is very average. I don't understand the praise it gets. The plot is pretty good but if I hadn't gotten paid to play the game I swear to God I wouldn't have gotten past the first 1900-chapter. Seriously. I can tolerate bad voice acting. My threshold is unbelievable, I tells you. But Microids style of bad voice acting, I cannot tolerate and Still Life is only a minor improvement over the fucking horrible shitstain that Post Mortem was. Hey, actors? Make like your fucking profession and fucking act.

That's all.

Novice
According to microids.com website, Still Life 2 is going to be released in 11/2008. It seems finally I will have something new to play. Although first part had a few noticeable flaws and ending sucked, I think I'm gonna try the new one.[/url]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom