Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OMG, Dwarf fortress has like totaly sold out

Oarfish

Prophet
zstuff.png

It's gone 3D.

Sentenza

Scholar
I think the step from asciiart to 3d is just too much

why not a nicer 2d looks? Ascii is for text and early '70 terminals, for fuck sake

Oarfish

Prophet
He's still keeping the ASCII for general viewing, but the world is now 3D to support proper liquid flows (among other things). That interface extension looks bloody scary though.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Well 3D is necessary (you are burrowing into a mountain) but does it necessarily have to be full 3D? Couldn't you an unlimited number of 2D levels?

Nedrah

Erudite
Great, another screen that can be ignored.

Now, how about those 2d object tiles?
Creatures are already being done, it seems.

Zomg

Arbiter
I know I'd like a 3D view when I'm in a dwarf town in adventure mode. Brains are not designed to integrate a lot of horizontal slices of questionable order into a 3D image.

Also, fuck your god damn tiles. Stop shitting up the ASCII aesthetic. You've got a million fucking games already.

Nedrah

Erudite
Zomg said:
I know I'd like a 3D view when I'm in a dwarf town in adventure mode. Brains are not designed to integrate a lot of horizontal slices of questionable order into a 3D image.

Also, fuck your god damn tiles. Stop shitting up the ASCII aesthetic. You've got a million fucking games already.

There are lot of ASCII based games out there, too.
Unfortunately, I know of no other game, graphics or not, that is anything like DF.
Let's just keep the ASCII as an option but make tiles (or better - it's fake ASCII on opengl after all) an option for the impaired amongst us, right?

edit: Isn't the 1st over?

Severian Silk

I wouldn't mind the full game being 3D, like S.C.O.U.R.G.E..

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hey, I might actually play it now because I won't be staring at various multi-coloured ASCII blips wondering what the fuck is going on.

Oarfish

Prophet
Its Toady's current development branch. Will be official in a month or so I guess - lots and lots of changes. Might take a few more releases for the gameplay to bed down again after that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom