Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oldest protagonist in jrpgs?

silphCo

Literate
Who is the oldest playable protagonist in jrpgs? Alys in Phantasy Star 4 is ?? old. That's near death's door, but do we know who the oldest is? Not just any playable character, which could include old wizards and villains, but the main two or three characters whose story is the crux of the game.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
In Lost Odyssey you play as immortals who are supposed to be incredibly old.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you want to be pedantic, there's probably some like Ryu in BoF3 or Rudy from Wild Arms that are like, thousands of years old or some shit. SaGa frontier too, has T260G, who seems to be some old relic. I suspect one of the SaGa games has an old human main character, some old veteran or something, but I'm not that familiar with the games. There'd certainly be plenty of middle age main characters in various games. If you narrow it down to games with a single main protagonist that are also traditional jrpgs... hmm. I can't really think of one that stands out as being particularly old. Torneko's in his 40's with a wife and kid, but he's not the main character in the mainline series and his spinoffs aren't really traditional jrpgs.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Basically any rpg game where protagonist is something exotic

MG7xnHe.png

Others that spring to mind:

Shinseiki Odysselya - goddess
Neo Metal Fantasy - resurrected ancient hero
Bastard!! - D.S. is centuries old
Valkyrie Profile - goddess oversoul

B3map1V.jpeg

Suikoden 3. One of the three protatgonists, Geddoe, is middle aged.

Lost Odyssey's protagonist is an immortal who had a family.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Aya is 27 in Parasite Eve II, ancient in jRPG terms. If The 3rd Birthday counts, then she's late 30s.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Auron in FFX is a cranky middle aged drunk. Best character in the game, too.

Wouldnt mind going back to a good JRPG with good characters that aren't kids so keen to see what others come up with.

Yuber

Novice
SaGa Frontier 2
Gustave XIII - Last time in party he is 37

0QTGq2s.png

Will Knights - Last time in Party he is 86
ZtReVvF.png

Skies of Arcadia

Drachma - Age 55
jl0Kx0z.png

FF7

Barrett - Age 35
Ff7-barret.png

FF12

Basch - Age 36

HpFBuNO.png

Legaia 2 Duel Saga

Kazan - Age 60
1-2XOFCKU.jpg

Dragon Quest 11

Rab - Age ~70
RabDefaultDQXI.jpg

Koudelka

James - Age 53
b3RhZ29uaXN0

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Basch. Wow FF12 was fucking terrible, I not only didn't remember his character existing at all, I don't remember the name of a single character from that game. Unless there was a Cid in that one...I think there might have been.

What's better, Skies of Arcadia or SaGa Frontier?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In that case, here's Roselia, 800 year old vampire witch from Trails of Cold Steel (she can also transform into a giant cat).

image.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was surprised she wasn't a harem option.

One of their rare attempts at creating some sort of consistency with the harem options, I suppose.
Speaking of harem, I really didn't like how it was done in Reverie. Just an afterthought copy-pasted Mishelam minigame from CS4, but with zero substance behind it other than 'watch these PoV animations'. I actually kind of dreaded doing it.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
hard mode - not a playable party member, but oldfag main guy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom