Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Old World - historical 4X strategy by Civ 4 designer (formerly 10 Crowns)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The DLC is out. I'm gonna hold off on buying it since it's 20 Euro for some reason, but I'm sure it's of high enough quality.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I would like to change my statement that I issued above - I don't think this DLC is particularly good or worth it. Not only is it super expensive, but the main attraction seems to be the different/unique leader effects, but they are all over the place balance-wise. There's a leader whose workers refund 2 orders on building completion, which is bonkers broken. Unless there's significant balancing and reiteration, I'm pretty sure this DLC will be seen as borderline bad and/or overpriced as time goes on. I doubt many leaders will be permitted in multiplayer games. The wonders are ok, but not worth 20 Euro just for them. The best thing is that the AI can use the bonkers broken leaders to increase difficulty in single player, but that's it.

Keep in mind I haven't played it yet, this is gleaned from other people's opinions, but I don't think I'm very far from the truth.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Finally got around to "finishing" Carthage 4 -
GCN1RYH.jpg

Only a gold victory again and I didn't technically finish it, i.e. I didn't last the full 80 turns, but I knew I wouldn't get the epic victory either way. I'll do them once I feel the itch to do it, especially now that I know what will happen (you basically need to metagame to get epic victories, some of the objectives are crazy kooky). Spoilers for the 4th mission -

You basically fight a war on 3 fronts from the beginning - Hannibal advancing towards Italia from the Alps, the Romans invading the Iberian peninsula and you fighting for supremacy of the sea. You have to be on top of all of these things if you want to finish the epic victory. Outside of that, Rome attacks with a modest force from the south at one point and they turn the Numidians against you when they do it, so the fronts become 5 (you are basically surrounded from all sides at that point). The Numidians are willing to accept a truce if you defeat the small Roman army, though, so it's not that big of a problem. The big problem is sea supremacy and Hannibal's assault of Italia. The game tricks you into thinking you have a big enough force to go fight Rome from the north, but you don't, your troops are clown-tier at that early stage. You absolutely need siege equipment and more troops, so it's better to amass a more sizable army before going through the Alps in the first place, and I bet you'll still have to reinforce. Not only do you need to reinforce, you also turn the Gauls against the Romans when you reach your destination and it's still not enough. The Romans have excellent quality troops which smash your initial forces to a pulp. The last 2 objectives for the epic victory is conquering 3 cities in Italia and taking back 2 of your own cities in Sicily and Sardinia, both of which are harder than they sound. Rome's fleets constantly attack your boats, so it's hard to get troops onto the islands in the first place, so sea supremacy is a must. It's a doozy and definitely a mission with a heavy emphasis on logistics. Training enough troops isn't the problem, it's getting them to the front lines that trips you up.

Overall, I liked the Carthage campaign and recommend it. I'm sad to see how few people actually play scenarios. It doesn't technically surprise me, but it's still weird.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Overall, I liked the Carthage campaign and recommend it. I'm sad to see how few people actually play scenarios. It doesn't technically surprise me, but it's still weird.

I've never really been into scenarios or storylines for strategy games. Sandbox style has always been my preference. I find it interesting to see how much that apparently is mirrored in the tastes of others since most of the gaming industry tends to move in the direction of storylines, etc. (even if a scenario isn't exactly that, it's more similar to it than the normal modes of these types of games.)

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The definitive historical 4x

Civ Sux pwned

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom