Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old RPGs

China

Novice
So, I recently downloaded The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes from the Underdogs and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm kind of surprised at how good the graphics are for something that is already abandonware. (I don't know, I suppose I was expecting older things.)

So, anyway, now I'm browsing the website looking for more abandonware, but have no idea where to begin. Can anyone recommend some good RPGs?

There's a list there.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/genre.php?id=7

I prefer RPGs that don't focus too much on combat. I don't mind some combat, but I like the focus to be on the story, or the choices, etc, rather than hack and slash.

Thanks for any help.

Zomg

Arbiter
That looks like an adventure game.

Edit - I guess you didn't mean it as an example of an RPG? Anyway, I can't think of any older RPGs that aren't combat-heavy, but if you mean abandonware as "mid nineties and earlier" you might like Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands, and the Quest for Glory games.

China

Novice
It is. I was just wondering about RPG recommendations from such sites. The sticky seems to mainly have adventure recs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
China, I recommend the old adventure/RPG hybrid Bloodnet. It's a sci-fi cyberpunk tale mixed with gothic vampirism in the vein of the old King's Quest hybrid gameplay systems. It has everything from cybernetic vampires to jacking into the Matrix to sleuthing for clues, and most of the dialog/characters range from fantastically pulpy to lulzy-in-a-good-way.

BloodNet.jpg

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
aweigh said:
China, I recommend the old adventure/RPG hybrid Bloodnet. It's a sci-fi cyberpunk tale mixed with gothic vampirism in the vein of the old King's Quest hybrid gameplay systems. It has everything from cybernetic vampires to jacking into the Matrix to sleuthing for clues, and most of the dialog/characters range from fantastically pulpy to lulzy-in-a-good-way.

BloodNet.jpg

It plays like shit, though. And King's Quest means "you didn't do that before? lol ur stuck now restart".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom