Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old(er) games with an active online community

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I was at a store the other day and I saw Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy (for PC) for $1.98 a piece in their games section. I didn't buy them because the best part was the multiplayer and I have no idea if there's really anyway/anyone to play online still.

What old(er) games do you still play online or know have an active multiplayer community?

Off the top of my head:

Battlefield 2
(z)Doom
Quake 2 (CTF)
UT2k4

Phelot

Arcane
The only games I still play mp on from time to time would be:

Myth 2. Has a fairly active community, though a lot of them are elite douches that only want to play certain types of games. Still, it isn't terribly difficult to get a decent game going. A lot of people wait for the two team 6v6 or so which I don't care for. Nothing better than playing body count or king of the hill.

A vid showing a typical game (minus the beginning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niLBL44VOxc

Marathon Infinity still has some active players and you can usually get a game going. Problem is that there are no dedicated servers which means someone has to host and you'd be surprised how many people apparently still LARP the 90's with dial-up. TBH I haven't played in awhile.

User was nabbed fit

Probably Counter Strike, from what I hear. Not a fan myself though.

A user named cat

I still play Jedi Knight 2 online. Actually the only game I do play MP. Not a ton of us left after all these years but plenty enough. You'll have to deal with some scripters and retarded South Americans nowadays but they're not much of a problem, I enjoy putting them in their place. You'll also get the choice between three different patch versions which all have different communities and gameplay quirks, I'm in 1.03. So yeah, definitely worth $2.

As for Academy, skip it unless you just want single player. They gimped almost everything that made Outcast great online. Last I remember, you could even spawn inside enemy bases during capture the flag. Terrible.

ortucis

Prophet
SWAT 4

I still play it online along with a lot of players and have been since the day it was released. Last PC tactical shooter worth playing after Rainbow Six: Raven Shield.

Add me on Xfire and maybe we can join in some random server.

TNO

Augur
Wait, SWAT 4 still active? Is that with or without the SS expansion?

ortucis

Prophet
TNO said:
Wait, SWAT 4 still active? Is that with or without the SS expansion?

Both.

Actually, I think expansion is even more active than vanilla. I don't play expansion because I really despise the level design and a lot of additions (along with massive slowdown I get while loading all levels for some reason).

You can see that SWAT is #48 according to Xfire rank of games still being played after all these years.

Bahamut

Arcane
Menckenstein said:
I was at a store the other day and I saw Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy (for PC) for $1.98 a piece in their games section. I didn't buy them because the best part was the multiplayer and I have no idea if there's really anyway/anyone to play online still.

What old(er) games do you still play online or know have an active multiplayer community?

Off the top of my head:

Battlefield 2
(z)Doom
Quake 2 (CTF)
UT2k4

There many ppl still playing Jedi Academy MP, i personaly play on JA+ mod from time to time

Bahamut said:
There many ppl still playing Jedi Academy MP
The problem with Academy is that there a fuck tonne of scripters and cheats. One of the main ways they cheese is by setting their mouse speed really high so that when they attack they spin around many times during the one attack and each glance hits you for the damage that a normal attack would, so in effect, they kill you in one move.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
http://www.freeallegiance.org

Space-fighting game. Released 2000 as full-price game. Now maintained by volunteers and playable free of charge.
For the graphic-fags there are even HD-textures that make the game look not 11 years, but 5 years old at the most :p

attackfighter

Magister
StarCraft: Brood War on the iCCup server is still quite active. Even the default servers get some traffic, although it's mostly people wanting to play UMS's.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I second battlefield 2, i still play Forgotten hope 2 mod, and they are about to add the Russian army to.

There usually are attleast one server filled up with players on a good day there is two servers.

I would have gladly played bf1942 FH for the ship combat and its large variety of armies, but i lost the cd :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom